Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cobalt Blue C2

LMR

Hello all

I have been a keen viewer of posts for the last 18 months or so, but really got hooked by Chief and the Red Baron. I have met the man himself as I have a unit near where the 'Baron was sprayed.

I have had my car since 2009. For the first couple of years it was my daily driver. A change of job and an increased commute required a new daily driver, thus allowing me to keep my 964 as a fun vehicle.

I am a big fan of cars being used. Whilst being a daily driver it saw rain, ice and snow (and is still the best car I have ever driven in the white stuff). It has been to plenty of places, a couple of track days and a memorable week in Germany, visiting the museum in Stuttgart and a few laps around the Nurburgring.

Of course, daily use has left the odd scar. Also I had began to notice the odd bit of wear. The standing joke with mates at my unit is I only took the car off the road to change the driveshaft boots........ About a year ago I decided to tackle a few jobs but with a possibility of some paintwork. That plan has evolved into a full respray.

Over the next few weeks I will catch up on the work I have done so far. Given how much I have enjoyed reading other posts, and how much I have learnt from others, I hope you enjoy my posts.

Now, if I could work out how to upload photos, I will share some :)

Welcome chum :thumb: Looking forward to the updates. Best if you use a hosting site like photobucket to upload pics :thumb:

Phil,
About blood time mate....
That car deserves a make over. I'll look forward to seeing your progress.
I will drop in and say "Hi" on Saturday if you are about.
Good to see you posting on here at last :thumb:

Hi Phil,

Congrats on your project, I'll look forward to sseing it develop :thumb:

The traction on a 911 is brilliant in the snow but I wouldn't get too carried away with it, I once came backwards down a hill on the way to skiing :roll:

Cheers,
Paul

welcome :thumb: looking forward to some photos , i reduce the photo size down to 72 resolution in Photoshop first . Go to "Choose file" see below when making your post , good luck :)

:welcome:

Chief has told me about you.

Good to have another local 964, even though it's not in the best blue :)

We have. midlands Meet last Thirsday of the month in Meriden.

It would be good to see you come along.

Chief

Yes, I am around on Saturday. Mark (who sprayed your car) should be around as well

i will get the kettle on

Phil

Okay, a quick peek at my car. Photo was taken at Anglesey.

IMG_0904_zps22aa501e.jpg

Thank you, hopefully the next one works - computers, think I need to get my daughter to sort this aspect.....!!

Overall the car didn't look to bad, but getting up close it was beginning to show a few bubbles

More bubbles and scratches

With the rear quarter being the worse

As you will see from the photos, pretty much every panel at the back of the car needed some work. After much discussion over lots of cups of tea, I decided that rather than go for repairing a few panels and touch in the paint, it was better to go for a repaint.

It is at this point that you will realise what I lucky chap I am. The conversations about repairs and paint were with the very man who painted Chief's Red Baron. I saw first hand his car being prepared and painted. I will not be mimicking the exquisite detail achieved on Red Baron, but am aiming for a good standard.

So, stripping a 964, how hard can that be? I started (for no real reason) at the back of the car. The rear bumper is an "interesting" arrangement. Removal isn't easy, if you are going to attempt this yourself my advice would be take your time, be methodical, and used plenty of penetration oil on fittings. Some of them haven't been disturbed for over 20 years. Photos were a bit limited as I had my hands full.

Rather rusty support bracket - like other supports on my car this could be crushed between my fingers, and I am no hercules....

Lots of crud on the floor

The support bracket above the catalytic converter was a complete pig to get off. The bolt holding the bracket to the bumper support was very corroded and wouldn't shift. I ended up cutting the support bracket. That wasn't too difficult as half of it dissolved in my hand. The photo below is pretty rubbish, but the shiny silver at the top of the support tube was pretty much all that was keeping the bumper support and bumper from dragging along the ground.

And the bracket as it final came off the car. One of the bolts holding this onto the car sheared, which I will address later.

My parts bill is getting longer........javascript:emoticon(':eek:')

Brings back painfull memories, crack on will all be worth the effort I had similar problems with the crush tube the rear support bar was corroded ended up getting some new brackets fabricated.

Attachments

• crush_tube_307.jpg
    crush_tube_307.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 26,429
  • p1000159_362.jpg
    p1000159_362.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 26,429
  • p1000160_110.jpg
    p1000160_110.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 26,429

New Threads

Forum statistics