Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Views on this 3.0 SC

SimonMoore

Evening all, just looking for some advice on the below. Thinking of buying another toy and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 3.0 SC

How does it compare to a 993?

http://www.nuvolalondon.com/car-details.php?id=670

Does it seem sensible money?

Cheers,

Simon

1981/W Porsche 911 SC 3.0 (RS Recreation) 2dr Coupe

Mileage: 107,000
Engine Capacity : 2993cc
Transmission: Manual
Body Style : Coupe
Engine: Petrol
Price: £ 30,995

14042470261.jpg

14042470262.jpg

14042471326.jpg

The SC and 993 are vastly different cars and hard to compare. The 993 is space-age modern by SC standards. Quiet, comfortable, lots more power, much safer.

I don't know this green car other than what they say in the advert but it looks to me like a standard SC which was supposed to become a track car and they've done all the easy and cosmetic stuff (at great cost) and then stopped. I can only guess that it's supposed to be a trackday car, so why haven't they bothered taking out the heavy and probably non-working A/C? Long before you worry about RS door cards and drilled aluminium foot pedals you remove things like the A/C and improve the engine and suspension. The engine probably is still 204hp stock. It's a lot of money for a car that pretends to be something which it isn't really. My opinion.

As for the character of the SC in general, it will be much more fun and rewarding to drive hard than the 993 but it's also more work and there's less margin for error. The SC will also be much less comfortable on long journeys. I've had both models on the Nurburgring, in their standard forms, and the 993 was almost a minute faster than the SC. However the SC was the one that I had the most fun in. As they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. So it depends what you're looking for.

Patronus said:
As they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

:grin: Amen to that. I need to keep chanting that to myself everytime I read a thread on 996 turbo tuning............ :duh:

That's a beautiful looking car. If it truly has had that much spent on it then it seems like a bargain. It may not be an RS but at this point I wouldn't care. I'd love to own an old 911 and this one seems to be a great example.

Saw this at Oulton Park a few months ago, turns out its not an original RS either but who cares, it's a thing of beauty!

Original cars are so rare and valuable it's unlikely you'll see one in the wild now.

Here's a very nice geniune example of an RS. I love the fact it's getting the engine rebuilt because it blew up while screaming up the Alps. No garage queen this lass :grin:

e2bd4150-c74e-4a32-8af7-c41240fb1845_zps39a2ef04.jpg

Though don't love the fact it's not mine :sad:

I like it, colour sets it off a treat :thumb:

I'd want to check the qulaity of the fittings/finish to make sure its a proper job. Quite a bit of fibreglass added on there (front spoiler etc). Plus is the glovebox supposed to sit proud of the dash :dont know: Doesn't look right and along with the naff badge would really annoy me :what:

I don't deny that the green car will be very nice and a lot of fun, plus it may have the best spray job ever. I'm sure it will make someone very happy. What I am saying is that for £27K you can do a lot of real under the skin work to make an SC drive and handle like a proper RS. What's left you can spend on making it look like one too. I just get the feeling that, in this case, it was done the other way around.

One of my first 911 memories is of someone taking me for a heart-stopping spin in his genuine 2.7 RS. Long before they were valuable. I was buying the gearbox out of his car and to demonstrate its condition to me he raced through the streets for a few minutes. Life changing minutes. He actually demonstrated the engine, brakes and shocks much more than the gearbox. It had only one seat fitted so I sat in the back with nothing in front of me, of course no seatbelt, holding on for dear life. I've owned, built, tested and raced much faster 911's since then but my memories of the little RS's incredible acceleration, cornering and braking still remains with me.

I remember taking out an SC for a test drive later that morning and it felt like Camry by comparison.

Zingari said:
is the glovebox supposed to sit proud of the dash :dont know: Doesn't look right and along with the naff badge would really annoy me :what:
I think the glovebox is in the right position but they've fitted a blanking plate or something to the right of it which sits deeper than the original panel.

For a new buyer the work is all done though. He's paying for the car as it is now. If he wants he can add changes to the performance.

I'm doing something similar right now with my car. I've made a few engine mods, but mainly concentrating on aesthetic mods, want to make my car look beautiful (in my eyes). And a modern RS replica. Maybe the previous owner wanted this. Like you say, maybe he planned more and decided to call it a day before he finished it.

isysman said:
I'm doing something similar right now with my car. I've made a few engine mods, but mainly concentrating on aesthetic mods, want to make my car look beautiful (in my eyes). And a modern RS replica.
That's different I think. At least you gave the engine a bit of a go. We've all been been there, making mods, wanting modern RS replicas. The result can be really beautiful and a fast, properly handling car too.
Maybe the ad is just not worded right. For £27K I'm sure they must have done more than the ad suggests, hopefully some suspension work.

My friend & neighbour got this delivered last week. 911 tribute created using an 80's donor.
He stopped counting the cost a few months ago. Nut and bolt brand new.

That car above is a bargain if it's a quality job.

Wow that orange car is stunning. Would like to see some better images out of the garage.

Facebook link only shows me the guy not the car.

I made some changes to my car, lowered springs, anti roll bars from H&R and uprated intercoolers and exhaust and remap.

I'd say at 27 grand it's most likely had some mods too, even if it was just a case of replacing as the old stuff was shot.

OP go and see it, drive it, let us know how it is to drive.

I'd love to have an old 911 some day.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back