Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cleaning a cabrio roof

tikkathree

Montreal
Guys I've added some photos of my cabrio top. This is how it came to me a year ago and whilst I can live with these marks, SWMBO is quite right that they do detract from the overall appearance of the car.

The car lives outdoors and gets a run most days. Last winter the hardtop stayed on (that was how he came to me) and I suspect that this winter the hardtop will stay in protective custody.

I washed and reproofed the cabrio top with an Autoglym fabric roof kit in the Spring and whilst I applied the cleaning product I was a bit wary about too much elbow grease into these stains.

I took these photos whilst the roof was wet from overnight rain as the marks show more strongly when the fabric is wet/darker. Some of the marks are evidently where the fabric lays folded in the down position, the circular mark above the driver's door is a puzzle, the very dark mark over the passenger door looks like a layer of wax almost, though it isn't.

Any practical experience on dealing with these marks please?

IMAG3238.jpg

IMAG3239.jpg

IMAG3241.jpg

IMAG3242.jpg

[quote="Gazc2"]Is the hood meant to be black or is it grey ? I have used the renovo products in the past to re-dye the roof and it comes up like new and is very easy to apply.

http://www.renovointernational.com/products/reviver.php[/quote]

No, the hood's not black, it's listed as graphite grey sowhat I've got are dark patches on a roof which, presumably, has faded over time.

Has your renovo experience been with restoration to black please?

It was actually the dark blue I used on my 3.2 cab and my brother in law used the black on his boxster. They dont do one for grey so thats not going to help you much, it might be worth dropping them an e-mail they may be able to advise you the best way to deal with the stains

Gazc2 said:
It was actually the dark blue I used on my 3.2 cab and my brother in law used the black on his boxster. They dont do one for grey so thats not going to help you much, it might be worth dropping them an e-mail they may be able to advise you the best way to deal with the stains

Thanks for your advice. I'll do just that.

Yes I have seen that in many cars, beginning to wonder if it is the result of the handling equipment in plant

Sharing the reply I got from Renovo below. I might just seek a view from OPC.

"Thank you for your enquiry.

Renovo Soft Top Canvas Cleaner is a very effective cleaning medium but it will depend on what has caused the marks on your soft top as to whether it will remove them. Renovo Cleaner can be used to spot treat areas that one is more concerned about prior to treating the whole soft top. Best cleaning will be achieved by following the severely soiled instructions on the bottle.

Sometimes the marks as shown in the pictures in your link are due to the fabric wearing where it is folded down.

Renovo Reviver can be very effective at masking these marks but they will generally reappear through use over a period of time.

Reviver is not available in a grey variant as there are simply too many shades/interpretations of grey for us to be able to keep all our cutomers happy.

Reviver is not able to selectively deposit more colour molecules in lighter areas so if the soft top has colour anomalies to start off with they may well still be evident after a Reviver treatment."

Bit of a bump to this thread but I was thinking of things I could do to my 996 c4s next year and getting these marks out of the hood is high on the list. Mine are exactly the same except on a blue hood. Mine is a 2004 car.

Tikkathree did you have any luck with the Renovo? I tried a well known competitor to very little effect.

Btw, this is my first post here. Bought my car in July this year but have done less than 1000 miles as I broke my leg quite badly in a motorbike crash 1st October. Am healing well and itching to get out in my 911, marked roof or no.

I think these marks are made when the hood is stored in the down position for long peroids.My car when not in use ie winter or overnight in the garage, I keep the roof up to keep the material stretched tight :dont know:

GuyM76 said:
Bit of a bump to this thread but I was thinking of things I could do to my 996 c4s next year and getting these marks out of the hood is high on the list. Mine are exactly the same except on a blue hood. Mine is a 2004 car.

Tikkathree did you have any luck with the Renovo? I tried a well known competitor to very little effect.

Btw, this is my first post here. Bought my car in July this year but have done less than 1000 miles as I broke my leg quite badly in a motorbike crash 1st October. Am healing well and itching to get out in my 911, marked roof or no.

Hi. It's a job which is waiting for the Spring and may well do some research into competitor products between now and then, and what a pro valeter might use.

From the photo's of the grey roof it just looks like it needs a proper deep clean. Obviously the dark lines are from where it's been stored down for a prolonged period of time.
The circle above the drivers door is a little odd, almost like the surrounding fabric is a lot dirtier than the circle.

The Autoglym kit is fairly soft in terms of it's cleaning ability.

I'd suggest a thorough pre-rinse followed by a liberal application of an APC then go around with a horse hair brush (leather brushes very good) to aggitate all the dirt out of the fabric, rinse and assess whether it's clean enough or another APC and scrub is required.

I recommend G-Techniq i1 for the protection element but whatever product you choose you need to make sure the hood is completely, 100% dry - probably 48hrs in the garage at this time of year.

Hope this helps.

Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back