Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Cambridge

davidjf7

Not usually one for this, but just wanted to share my experiences...

These guys are my local dealership, and I used them for servicing (which they were well set up for and competitive on pricing) and parts on my old 993, then bought my current car from them.

Have found them to be excellent in all areas, (Kevin Alsop was great when I was rebuilding the rear end of my 993, excellent service and always gave me the best price he could).

Current car went in last week for a 'check engine' warning light. It was traced to a faulty exhaust sensor, and the car was booked in the next day for the replacement.

Wrong part turned up, which was a minor irritation, so had to go back to get the work done this week. Sharon in the service department said she'd put some fuel in my car for the inconvenience. I said that's kind but she didn't have to. She insisted and this morning gave me a full tank.

Top service, and would fully recommend them

:thumb:

I used them for a major service this year :thumb: Was a bit pricey but still cheaper than OPC Hatfield whom I normally go to.

~ Maxie

I ordered a part from OPC Cambridge to be sent direct to the indie where my car was having some work done.
I paid for it over the phone with credit card, they said two day delivery time.

When I spoke to the indie a week or two later the part had still not arrived.
I rang OPC Cambridge to ask why the part had not arrived and according to a guy in the parts department they had no record of me ordering it on their system and no record of payment.
Anyway, that was that and I told them to forget about it.
About two weeks after I'd had my car back from the indie garage the owner rang me to say OPC Cambridge had contacted him to say they had my part ready for delivery and that I'd paid for it ??!!

I have not found them to be the slickest operation around.

carkid said:
I ordered a part from OPC Cambridge to be sent direct to the indie where my car was having some work done.

I rang OPC Cambridge to ask why the part had not arrived and according to a guy in the parts department they had no record of me ordering it on their system and no record of payment.
About two weeks after I'd had my car back from the indie garage the owner rang me to say OPC Cambridge had contacted him to say they had my part ready for delivery and that I'd paid for it ??!!

Is your assessment based on this one incident or a number of similar occurrences?

~ Maxie :?:

davidjf7 said:
Not usually one for this, but just wanted to share my experiences...

These guys are my local dealership, and I used them for servicing (which they were well set up for and competitive on pricing) and parts on my old 993, then bought my current car from them.

Have found them to be excellent in all areas, (Kevin Alsop was great when I was rebuilding the rear end of my 993, excellent service and always gave me the best price he could).

Current car went in last week for a 'check engine' warning light. It was traced to a faulty exhaust sensor, and the car was booked in the next day for the replacement.

Wrong part turned up, which was a minor irritation, so had to go back to get the work done this week. Sharon in the service department said she'd put some fuel in my car for the inconvenience. I said that's kind but she didn't have to. She insisted and this morning gave me a full tank.

Top service, and would fully recommend them

:thumb:

Good to hear, my car was extensively maintained there.

Another OPC trying hard is the new Tewkesbury one. My car was booked in for an oil pressure sensor evaluation, the part was new but displays erratic behaviour. They picked the car up from my workplace, worked for three hours trying to trace the problem, cleaned the car inside and out and re-delivered the car. The cost? FOC, as they said that they didn't get to the bottom of the problem.

The car will be booked back in shortly. They have said that the three hours labour is gratis and will not be added to the final bill. Very encouraging so far. I will see how it is once the sensor has been replaced with another new one.

For most other work (stuff I can't take care of), the car will probably return to RSJ though, as they are just excellent.

Maxie said:
carkid said:

Is your assessment based on this one incident or a number of similar occurrences?

Well, to be fair I've since phoned them 4 times to sort it out- every time I called the parts department was engaged and reception took my number
stating they would call me back- I'm still waiting for a call.
Not very professional.

I believe OPC Cambridge has a fairly high reputation amongst other OPC's. I've bought 5 cars from them over the years & have always found the sales/business side of their operation to be very good indeed. Although I don't always use them for servicing, they have done some warranty work for me & again, I've found them to be very good. Martin in the servicing dept has always been helpful.
I know full well that buying from any OPC means paying top dollar, but the stock quality & customer service along with the OPC Warranty does have value to me. I am one of their lower end budget customers but feel that I'm treated as well as their more higher spending customers, which isn't always the case with all car dealers.

Well, I too got a "free" fill-up courtesy of Cambridge OPC to say sorry for a fruitless 60-mile round trip following the wrong part turning up. That's the bad news out of the way.

Back a week later, the correct part fitted, car cleaned inside and out and I was on my way very happy.

Here's where I think the really good bit comes: my first experience at Cambridge OPC was a few weeks ago when they ran a free service clinic for PCGB 996 Register. A full 80 minutes with the technician giving my car a very thorough once over and road test. I was with him all the time able to ask questions and him talking me through what he was doing and what his findings were. (It was here that we picked up the need for the replacement of a relatively minor piece of trim due to damage.)

This just two days before driving to the south of France gave me a huge boost of confidence in my car. Thank you Lewis technician.

Could I have done without the unecessary journey to have the replacement part fitted by them? Of course I could. Did it matter to me? Well, frankly as a semi-retired old git, it didn't bother me to spend a second hour or so wafting round their showrooms drinking their coffee.

Will I use them again? Of course I will especially as they're willing to collect and return the car to me at home which cuts out the "courtesy car/arrange a lift/what'll we do whilst the car's in the garage" issue.

Would I recommend Cambridge OPC to you? I'd say yes, go and talk to them and make up your own mind. :thumb:

carkid said:
Maxie said:
carkid said:

Well, to be fair I've since phoned them 4 times to sort it out- every time I called the parts department was engaged and reception took my number
stating they would call me back- I'm still waiting for a call.
Not very professional.

Ask for Kevin, I'm sure he'll sort you out :thumb:

I bought my C4S from them last December and it went back for warranty work in May. They came to Doncaster for my car and left me a Cayman. It went back again last week for some more bits to be rectified and they have left me a Panamera (what a motor, but that's another story)
When my car comes back it is fuelled up and all the warranty work completed. Sharon is very efficient and I am well satisfied with them, would certainly go back to them for another car. I did try taking it to Sheffield originally, but just got fobbed off.

I've had mostly positive experiences with them. Dan and Jo, two of the technicians are great. Kev in parts is excellent. And Sharon on the service desk is a pleasure to deal with. But there are a couple of less than helpful people there who shall remain nameless. They once tried to charge me £100 for assessing the condition of the battery. Why would anyone ever pay that when they could have a brand new Bosch S5 battery for less money?! Eventually they saw sense and backed down, but it did leave a nasty taste. All the other times they've been great.

Just to say my 2nd hand CaymanS went in for a problem with the key sticking in the ignition, didn't want to come out without a wrestling match. The car was purchased from Cambridge & still under warranty.
As I needed a courtesy car, the lead time for the job was a couple of weeks. Not too much of a hassle for me. So the car went in, I had a Cayenne diesel as a courtesy car for the 2 days. Job done, car cleaned for me & Allston well. Good daily phone calls with updates on the progress, polite courteous staff, all good. Only downside I'd that the Mrs is now in love with the Cayenne, so possibly a neat bit of "up selling" going on there!
Matt.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back