Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Freddie44's Alfa Romeo Duetto 1967 adventures thread

freddie44

Albert Park
I'd been looking for a while for something I could rent out at my friends classic car place in Nice. Something that was "classic" and i would enjoy driving myself but that I'd also be comfortable renting out to people. I had around £20k to invest in this little project and 'the classic" had to be in a good condition to begin with which would make it much easier to be kept tip top by the mechanics in Nice.

I spotted this little lady on Car and Classic and immediately booked a flight to Naples to meet Alfonso. It looked mint! :)

202E4FE2-11F9-4A6F-9C77-9A6CD09C43C0_zpshofr3ovg.jpg

It's a 1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto "boat tail" or '1600 Spider" as the Yanks call it.

I really fancied this boat tail version (meaning its classic shaped rear end) and not the later models (1970 onwards) more American friendly rear with much squarer lights.

It sounded old and looked new - I was sold! :D

03E6337E-1E30-44CA-86F3-F72270DA3FB1_zps3pdubkji.jpg

I'm now learning the registration procedure for a 1960's Italian motor car originally from Michigan, USA.. :eek:

Sad I know, but I cant wait to put black and white number plates on it!!

81A6AD33-1B11-4DB4-8CF3-A5A0F09E7364_zpst5eurfdq.jpg

0A799DEA-C2EF-472D-875C-EA0750A87A62_zps9rkrpdd1.jpg

Nice memento from Alfonso.. a 1960's Ferrari service tag..

9BA2E56A-F2C0-4FDD-B5AA-430C14F34139_zpsdisgibvy.jpg

Anyone got any good suggestions for classic car Insurance? (I only have the VIN at the moment)

Any quality, classic black/white Reg number plate makers online...?

Cheers,
Freddie :thumbs:

Looks lovely :)

Why are you registering it here if it will be kept/rented out in Nice? Surely it needs French plates for that?

Nice little car - used to drool over this when I was a lad.

Sounds as if you are intending to insure/register in UK? Wouldn't it be simpler to do this in France if you'll be renting out from Nice?

Cheers chaps :D

As I don't have a property/bank account in France it would be difficult to register it there.

My friend advises get it sorted in the UK first and then take it down for him to sort out the French bit. It also cant get any camera speeding tickets this way :wink: (at the moment anyway!)

The car wont be rent-able in the 'one week rent' kinda sense but rather involved in the rallies he organises to vineyards for lunch and other hedonistic activities, which I'll earn a fee from.

Alfonso's little Tardis / garage:

CFB48BE0-7D96-4055-B0B4-B01CCE4E9B4D_zpswpjmm7hh.jpg

F9C65E6B-010A-4CF1-A5EB-02B715BAFB7E_zpsusw3xqol.jpg

814913B2-0BF7-4AD6-AE7B-590A8EAA227D_zpsz0vlrnji.jpg

Hmm, I'd be looking at the Insurance your friend has in place extremely carefully if I were you. Setting up Insurance for hire or reward is bad enough when it's on a vehicle that is registered in the country where the Insurance cover operates, never mind when the vehicle is owned by a non-resident & registered in a foreign country...
Any Insurance you have on it in the UK won't cover it being out of the country for months on end. Also don't forget it's illegal to drive a foreign registered car in the UK on a UK license if you live here.

It's a bit too late to find out there's a problem when you stick a claim in.

Yes agreed, cheers Nick

The Alfa will be a UK car by the time I'm done with UK plates etc and then from there we sort out the French aspect. He does this for one or two others so I know it's possible. It's also the reason why he doesn't rent them in the normal "one week" fashion but in that rally day 'tour' style (hire)

My investigations continue :thumb:

Nice little Alfa, I may keep this in mind for when I'm that way and don't take my car with me.

I'n not sure if this helps or not but it should be possible to open a French bank account still using a UK address. I still have one from years ago that I used when I was over there and originally I used my office address in Holland when I first opened the account then changed the address to my UK address when I was back in the UK for good.

Thanks Infrasilver. I'll look in to that if needs be

If you ever want the classic car website in Nice PM me for details :thumb:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for classic car Insurance?

:thumbs:

Great, cheers Nick. :thumb:

NXI20 said:
Also don't forget it's illegal to drive a foreign registered car in the UK on a UK license if you live here.

What? I'm going to be staying in Germany for 8 months in a shipyard. I was thinking about buying a cheap car in Germany. So I couldn't drive it back to the UK on my UK licence?

:D

My uncle told me about that film 'The Graduate', said it was one of his favorites. I wasn't born yet when it came out is my only excuse!

Quick vid of the little Alfa:
(strange noise was a bad spark plug. All fixed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWbZ_WzzxU&feature=youtu.be

I think I'll get the plastic lens covers for the front lights. These weren't allowed on US cars at that time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back