Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 newbie

ian_r

Hello all. Just joined the forum as it could be time for me to step into the world of Porsche ownership so makes sense to come to the place where I will get some sensible advice.

Apologies as this is a pretty common question that will have been debated at length on here but I just can't decide which car to go for.

I'm looking to buy my first 911 with a budget somewhere around the 25k mark but the choice of what's available around that level is a bit overwhelming. I guess my first choice is do I go old or modern and at the moment I really can't make my mind up so I was hoping for a bit of guidance of what might be available in my price range across the various models. The car will very much be for weekend fun as I live in London and annual miles will be low.

964/993 - They look great, the 993 in particular in my view. I'm assuming a decent 993 will be out of my price range? I think if I found the right car this would be my choice but it's a little daunting looking and the spread of prices on the older 911s.

996 - Just not convinced on the headlights. Unless maybe I add another chunk to the budget and go for a 996 turbo which obviously has the the power and reliability benefits.

997 Gen I - Can you get a really good example for my budget? Unfortunately I've thrown myself off with the few internet horror stories of failed bearings and scored bore issues requiring full rebuilds. The main issue being failing bearings are impossible to spot? (mechanical novice here). Obviously on any car I'd make sure I have a full PPI inspection done for peace of mind but would an inspection still not pick that up? Also with the 997 is the choice between tiptronic and manual. Currently driving an Audi A3 3.2 S-Line with the DSG gearbox which is a fanstic piece of kit but I'm assuming going from DSG to tiptronic would be a little disappointing so probably best to stick to a manual?

I have had a good read through this thread below which is the same question but just wondered if anything was any different in terms of current prices, or if anyone knew of a good car for sale now or coming up?

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=89550

Thanks for reading, look forward to people's thoughts.

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian, Welcome to 911uk.

The good news for you is that prices of 997s have continued to fall over the last 12 months - albeit far more slowly than they were.

At the £25k price point there's a lot of very nice 997s around but, as you are already aware, you have to factor in the risk of possible major mechanical issues. Therein lays the bad news.

Given the quantity of 997s produced there is of course a great chance that you'd buy one of the tens of thousands that won't ever have an issue, but ............

The 996T is an alternative but £25k today won't buy you a car as good as you could have bought 12 months ago and you'll almost certainly have to pay a bit extra to get the known consumables (tyres, brakes, rads) up to scratch.

Quite honestly I don't know what I'd do in your situation. The 997 represents such fantastic value for money and if the car does ever need a rebuild it would make the car a great proposition for long term ownership. I suppose a lot depends on how long you'd want to keep it.

Good luck :thumb:

Cheers for the replies. I'd probably only be keeping it for a few years or so before the reality of growing up (marriage, family) really starts to build...

I'm still quite drawn to the 80s/90s models especially seen as it's only going to be used for weekend fun but the 997 looks like amazing value for money to me. The Gen2 997s falling into my price bracket any time soon and neither can I see any point in waiting for the Gen1s to fall a bit further. As you say the thousands out there that are fine means I shouldn't be too concerned but at the minute it is the only little thing at the back of my mind holding me back from going out a splurging on one. I'm it's guna be a costly venture whatever happens but i'd just hate to have to factor in a rebuild when I'm not going to be keeping it for many a year.

I'm not in any particular rush. I'll prob wait til the new year to pull the trigger anyway and in the meantime will keep my eye on what's available at the minute.

ian_r said:
The Gen2 997s not falling into my price bracket any time soon and neither can I see any point in waiting for the Gen1s to fall a bit further.

I'm assuming you missed the not out of this sentence.

If so, you're right .... it will be quite a while before Gen2 cars get down to £25k and deprecation of Gen1 cars has just about stopped. £25k - now, or in a few months time - will get you plenty of choice.

T8 said:
ian_r said:
The Gen2 997s not falling into my price bracket any time soon and neither can I see any point in waiting for the Gen1s to fall a bit further.

yes sorry, not coming into my bracket!

Keep an eye on the Hartech site. They don't rebuild/sell many but I have no regrets from buying from them.

Welcome, Goodluck plenty of good people on here to offer advice.

I think your budget is typical for many first time Porsche owners and these are interesting times as air cooled / water cooled prices really overlap massively.

The only real pieces of advice I would give is treat the search as part of the fun and plan a few weekend trips to go and see as many cars as you can. What is the right car for you won't be the right car for someone else but the more you see the easier it will be for you to pull the trigger as you will know your car at lot easier.

Air v water cooled is down to a personal preference and intended use. Air cooled is not for everyone especially if you are after the luxuries of more modern cars but as a weekend toy they come into their own for most owners.

The other advice I would always give is don't use 100% of your budget on the purchase of a Porsche, ideally hold back 10-20% as you will end up spending this on the car either through choice or necessity in the first year :grin:

Remember these were expensive cars to buy originally and so costs associated with them can be high but buy wisely with the right spec and they will not lose much if anything at that price range which offsets a lot of the overall running costs over the medium to long term. Just remember that this effectively creates a cash flow issue in that you may need to spend cash which effectively get wrapped up in the value of the car for future sale.

Finally do not underestimate the fear factor of engine problems on certain models. Prices reflect that which is great but it can still take the shine off the ownership experience if you don't have the correct mindset IMHO.

Enjoy the hunt and good luck with your search :thumb:

Cheers for the reply Jonttt, appreciate the advice. If I stay around 25k then I'll have enough left to spend on the inevitable future costs...

Does anyone have any experience of Yorkshire Classic Porsche?
http://www.yorkshireclassicporsche.co.uk/

Tempted to go have a look at the two 997s they have for sale at the moment.

I'm still yet to drive an air cooled 911 but in the interest in leveraging off your expertise does anyone have any thoughts on the below car, as much as you can say from an online advert of course, but whether seems reasonable value, what to look for if I were to go take a look etc?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C561052

Cheers

ian_r said:

:eek: Don't let the 964 or the 993 boys see that.

IMO it's a real bitsa but I suppose it's priced accordingly.

If it checks out as a well done job it could be a fun car at that money - given how much 964s and 993s are now costing.

Just be aware that it will never be accepted by anyone 'in the know' so may be problematic come resale time.

ian_r said:
Does anyone have any experience of Yorkshire Classic Porsche?
http://www.yorkshireclassicporsche.co.uk/

Tempted to go have a look at the two 997s they have for sale at the moment.

yorkshireclassicporsche have been through a few name changes, car prep quality has improved but it all depends on the specific car

T8 said:
ian_r said:

If so, you're right .... it will be quite a while before Gen2 cars get down to £25k and deprecation of Gen1 cars has just about stopped. £25k - now, or in a few months time - will get you plenty of choice.

If you look closely gen 2's are going the other way at the moment :?: :thumb:

ian_r said:
I'm still yet to drive an air cooled 911 but in the interest in leveraging off your expertise does anyone have any thoughts on the below car, as much as you can say from an online advert of course, but whether seems reasonable value, what to look for if I were to go take a look etc?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C561052

Cheers

I doubt you will get anyone on here liking it to be honest, mish mash and begs the question why it was done :dont know:

Personally I would rather have a cat D pure version etc....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back