Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Complete DIY for tiptronic to paddle shift conversion

ricola

Hi All,

There are a few threads on this but not a complete 'how to', most information seems to be a bit spread out so here goes!

What I started with on my turbo:
996t_3.jpg

Parts needed:
Manual Porsche 996 steering wheel (if you want to get rid of the tiptronic switches)
AMG C63 paddle switches: A171 267 00 46 I got them from Inchcape Mercedes for £122 delivered

paddles_1.jpg

I found this to be the best way to eat into the steering wheel foam to fit the paddles, I then made a template using clear plastic to transfer the same shape to the other side, the last thing I wanted was for the paddles to be non symmetrical!
paddles_2.jpg

Here are the internals of the old tiptronic wheel, the connector at the top is for the tiptronic switches.
The switches just connect to the steering wheel ground when pressed. Brown/red for down shift and yellow/brown for up shift.
paddles_3.jpg

New switches soldered to the old connector to make it plug and play into the clock spring.
paddles_4.jpg

The paddles have a blind hole on the back to attach them to the wheel. I found I could make a thread using some M4 button head screws. The short plate pulls the switch snuggly up to the outer surface of the wheel, the nut you see helps push out the foam to make a good fit to the slightly curved profile of the paddle.
paddles_5.jpg

The manual wheel modified and ready to go in the car.
paddles_6.jpg

Plenty of clearance and a good fit, the silver matches the other painted details in the cabin perfectly.
paddles_7.jpg

All done, just like Porsche should have done in the first place!
paddles_8.jpg

I've only driven locally a few miles but this will transform enthusiastic driving. I always find that it defaults to 'old man' mode when you get stuck behind a slow car and when there's eventually a gap the car seems sluggish to drop down, this will obviously fix that and I think I will drive in manual mode a LOT more now!

It was only few hours work and all in cost me under £220. I hope this gives some others the confidence to have a go themselves!

Rich

I almost wish I had a tip now, so that I could do this transformation! well done and modernises it no end :thumb:

Great write-up.

I've had my paddles fitted on a manual wheel since the beginning of the year and rarely drive in 'D' now to be honest. The paddle shift action is so much more intuitive than the rocker switches, particularly when pressing on. Fantastic mod for any 996/986 Tip and great that it's now become truly DIY-able.

image_zpsd466cde5.jpg

Great effort looks awesome!
Ordered a manual wheel off eBay and next will order the paddles and may give this a go myself!
Was it difficult messing around with the wiring, have you had a chance to take it on a decent run how have you found them in comparison to tip?

@stubbsy, how much did you pay for that? I couldn't find anything below 300 quid at fleabay.

318touring said:
@stubbsy, how much did you pay for that? I couldn't find anything below 300 quid at fleabay.
140 I was watching another one on there for around 150, got it yesterday as described in the ad so very pleased, condition wasn't a massive issue as planning on getting it re trimmed.

I found the wiring about the easiest bit of the conversion, the trickiest bit is cutting away the steering wheel and getting them symmetrical..
I still haven't driven it too much as I was also busy designing and building new front suspension for my bug and I'm now out of the country for work... It really transforms downshifts as that was the tricky one with the tip buttons, I think ideally they would be fixed to the column as I've done some advanced driver training and it has become habit to always have my hands at ten to two.

I got my wheel from Prestige in the end, under £100 delivered.

@ricola, I assume that it was Prestige Salvage that you get your wheel from? I'm not in the UK so not really familiar with the different businesses there. I should probably email them directly as their site doesn't really show a lot.

http://prestigesalvage.co.uk/

I've had my paddles for some time now, 997 'Tip'.

Made a massive difference! I can't complain about the car now. No more SCREAMING in 2nd gear when I overtake - win! :)

I presume the 'how to' is the same for a 997?

Nicholassss, which parts did you use for your conversion? Any pictures?

Land Rover Paddles (2013) off eBay, around £35 plus Fuel to Chester and back. Drove home smiling.

I can get it done on 996 easily - 997 steering wheels are the headache ones. Every garage I rang said it couldn't be done, including a UK company who does 996 'Tip' conversions. Luckily (for me) I've met some nice and patient people on this planet.

I'll get daytime pics on the way to work. Here's the album

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152272301116875.1073741843.669721874&type=1&l=18ace2ac12

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back