Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Selling Privately to Johnny Foreigner

Kimbo

I've had interest in my car from European buyers and I'm not sure of a few things, so would appreciate some advice from any of you who have done this.

1. Payment. A bagful of Euros or bank transfer when they've seen the car and we've agreed a price? They want to drive it home the same day and I'm not sure if that's possible that fast with an international transfer. I don't mind accepting cash.

2. Insurance. Need proof before driving off?

3. Re reg. The car's on personal plate, do I just do what I'd do for a UK buyer - send the forms off to the DVLA myself?

Thanks!

That was a quick sale Kimbo !!

I'm no expert but will start with my feelings :-

Q1 - Bank transfer of funds before releasing car would be safest, followed by cash paid in over the counter at your bank together.

Q2 - Once you have been paid, the Insurance should be down to the buyer IMHO - although with your plate attached I can see your point I think.If with your Insurance cancelled, and on the private plates the car is spotted by plod, the NPRSystem should flag the car as being uninsured. But that really isn't your problem. I suppose you could give the buyer time to exit the UK border then cancel it, to save them being pulled ??

Q3 - Yes, I think you are correct. Although you could start that process now and you might get it back on the original plates quicker than you expected.

PS - did you get your website issue solved ? Or is this why the 993 is departing :sad:

Hi Kim

I've sold a number of cars to people from abroad.

Personally I always request cash (sterling) - It should be no problem for them to go to their local bank and draw it. I normally make sure they collect during banking hours which will allow you to pay the cash in and make sure there are no funny notes.

Insurance wise - Do a receipt and put the date and time on it, Two copies will be best, one for you and one for the new owner. After that it is not really your problem, however if your planning on buying another car then maybe best just to let it run and then roll it over to the new vehicle to save any cancellation fees.

Plate - I would remove it now. Make the new owner aware of what you are doing and forward the V5 on when you get it back. They will not need the MOT as it will not be relevent to them.

You should also find that the tax will be credited back to you.

Good luck !

Simon

My experience with the Elise:

1, They needed a certificate of conformity (COC), not sure if that applies to you.

2, The price in the UK was MUCH cheaper than in their country.

3, because of this, they can afford to lose a deposit on ten cars and still get a bargain.

4, you have a deposit and someone travelling from France to buy your car.

5, Oh big wow, so have other people.

6, Only one of you will get the sale, even though you all have deposits.

7, deposit in French means 'not sell to anyone else until I find a car'

Kim, I've had experience in selling a car abroad - albeit to RoI:

Q1. I asked the buyer to transfer funds electronically to my bank account in full. They did but withheld £250 (agreed in advance) to be given in cash on the day of pick up. Once they came to collect, they handed this balance over.

Q2. Insurance, I cancelled mine after they drove off. Not my issue as far as I'm concerned. As a private seller, you are under no obligation to check the buyer's Insurance.

Q3. Can't help with this issue but it looks like others have provided a comprehensive response.

GLWS.

~ Maxie

PS. Is it really the 993 that's going?

Thank you chaps, much appreciated :thumb:

Should be gone next week. Although in the past I've been mucked about a lot by people buying from Italy and France.

Ecky993 said:
PS - did you get your website issue solved ? Or is this why the 993 is departing :sad:

No unfortunately not. It's not the exact reason but it hasn't helped. Thanks for asking anyway.

Maxie said:
Q1. I asked the buyer to transfer funds electronically to my bank account in full. They did but withheld £250 (agreed in advance) to be given in cash on the day of pick up. Once they came to collect, they handed this balance over.

PS. Is it really the 993 that's going?

Thanks Maxie. So they gave you all the money bar £250 without seeing the car?

The 993 Coupe has gone to Simon Moore on here - a top chap.

The 993 Targa that I bought to keep and do up when I could afford it, now unfortunately has to go.

Soon I will be Porsche-less. What a blow.

Kimbo said:
Thanks Maxie. So they gave you all the money bar £250 without seeing the car?
Sorry - just realised my post might have been mis-leading. Buyer made a separate trip beforehand to view the car. He only posted funds a couple of days later.

Can't imagine you without a 993, Kimbo!

~ Maxie :roll:

Maxie said:
Can't imagine you without a 993, Kimbo!

~ Maxie :roll:

Problem is I have to pay a garage to do all my work and every time I take it in the bill always starts with a thousand. (And that's not an OPC).

I've had more than a few of those every year for the past ten years on my four 993's.

Can't pay the next one, whatever it is. Have to bail. Damn shame.

Kimbo crikey o Reilly I can't keep up! Bad news but if you have to you have to.
Confused re answers on plate you have to do the transfer before the sale, otherwise your reliant on the buyer who owns the plate if on the car when purchased, you can rely on them sorting it and passing it back to you, but complicated and not sure Johnny foreigner would do? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but done it several times, you can't sell the car whilst it's in process.

In respect of the Insurance, cancel immediately advising your Insurance company that the vehicle has been sold. The Insurance is linked to the vehicle. The law states that a vehicle on the road or off road must remain insured unless it is SORN. There was a case in one of my bike magazines last year whereby somebody sold a bike and after taking the money, allowed the purchaser to ride away. Unfortunately he had an accident on the way home. You guessed it, he wasn't insured. The injured party's Insurance company had no course of action but to claim off the sellers Insurance. They were successful in their claim, leaving the seller liable and who then lost his no claims bonus in the process.

Thanks Dave, thanks SB.

Buyer won't even consider taking the car without the V5 or MOT so I'm glad I haven't sent it off yet. I'll have to trust him to sort it out.

Also refuses to pay in GBP - insists on Euros.

Kimbo said:

Also refuses to pay in GBP - insists on Euros.

That is a bit strange, if I bought a car in euro land I wouldn't insist on paying in sterling.....

Managed to pull out of the sale at the last minute. Buyer bought a cab instead.
All happy.

Btw, cabs and targas fetch big money in Italy :thumb:

Thanks for replying to this thread and to everyone else

Cheers :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back