Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leather dash care?

Fuchs

so what does everyone do?

Bit of pledge?

some lether treatment?

????

:?:

+1 for Gliptone, lovely stuff :thumb:

Gliptone. :thumb: Reminiscent of the smell of the leather interior of a 1950s Rover :grin:

auto finesse cleanser followed by razeglaze leather balm, happy with it, but I think I'll try gliptone when the raceglaze has run out.

Thanks - used the gliptone cleaner and conditioner - came up a treat
:thumb:

I used Gliptone cleaner for the first time when I bought my 997, really impressed with the results, brings the leather back to a nice matte finish!

The conditioner is fine but will shine the surface of the seat pad when
your bum has rubbed it up a little. Love the smell too especially with the free leather air freshener I got from polished bliss!

I like the autoglym leather feed stuff

As said above, I also use Gliptone cleaner and conditioner. I prep the leather first by using a steam cleaner to open the pores then use a leather scrubbing brush to clean the grains. Wipe down followed by the conditioner :thumb:

Use Gtechniq L1 Leather Guard.

Great value, and provides a beautiful matte finish, and is anti-stain and abrasion resistant. No residue afterwards so does not attract debris which can often score the surface. :thumb:

DRZ911 said:
Use Gtechniq L1 Leather Guard.

Great value, and provides a beautiful matte finish, and is anti-stain and abrasion resistant. No residue afterwards so does not attract debris which can often score the surface. :thumb:

Sounds perfect, ordered some, along with the Gtechniq W2 Universal cleaner, thanks :thumb:

I use diluted Flash APC.

Seriously. Modern car leather is painted with acrylic or polyester urethane paint and clear coat so is sealed and doesn't need "feeding" the way a horse saddle does.

Anything that "softens" the leather chemically eats into the painted acrylic protection of the leather to make it feel softer.

The "shine" of leather is dirt and oils from human skin and as soon as you clean it with a good APC it will go matte again. This layer of dirt and oil will abrade the surface wearing the seats so its important to keep them clean.

Have a read around: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=183747

Some products will sit on top of your clear coated leather and give some UV protection and limited abrasion resistance. These are wax based just like you put on the paint outside the car.

So I would use a normal APC to strip dirt and oils from the leather, and then if I was feeling flush a product that just claims to offer UV and abrasion resistance - not "soften" the leather.

wasz said:
....So I would use a normal APC to strip dirt and oils from the leather, and then if I was feeling flush a product that just claims to offer UV and abrasion resistance - not "soften" the leather.

Spent £14 on the Gtechniq W2 cleaner and L1 guard that supposedly do what you're saying for the reasons you give ...expensive way of doing it, but the bottles look nice :grin:

Ordered some Gliptone cleaner GT12 today whic comes with a free cloth but wondered what is best to apply it with? I've read women's make up sponges over a cloth.....thoughts?
Best way to apply and remove the excess or do I let it absorb?

Ursa911 said:
Ordered some Gliptone cleaner GT12 today whic comes with a free cloth but wondered what is best to apply it with? I've read women's make up sponges over a cloth.....thoughts?
Best way to apply and remove the excess or do I let it absorb?

To put it on I use a polish applicator sponge - looks like a flat bread roll :)

I use a microfibre cloth to wipe clean and buff... although buff is an odd word in this context as you are not buffing to a shine you are buffing to a buff finish.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back