Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Secondary air pump whining at start up - cured!!

Alex

Hi,

Since I bought my car the secondary air pump has always whined for the first 20 seconds or so. Anyhow, whilst on holiday in the South of France the other week it got even louder (probably down to all the dust and heat) and by the time I was back in Blighty didn't sound too healthy at all.

Replacement pump on eBay £855: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...ts=Model:911|Plat_Gen:996&hash=item3f3a510391

Took it off the other night and removed the fan side of it to try and get to the motor. The motor is fixed inside the outer housing and I wasn't able to get it out, but you can see the shaft coming out held in place with a bearing. Gave the bearing a good dowse in WD-40, whacked it all back together and bolted it back in.

Now quite as a mouse on every cold start. No doubt some other members have the same problem and don't want to have to fork out £855.

Only 2 bolts to remove to lift out the pump, disconnect the power supply and pull off the air pipe, the undo the fan housing (5 spring clips) and fan off the back (13mm AF nut) and squirt in some lubricant, then all back together. Took me about 30 mins in total. Make sure when you remove all the fan parts off the shaft, you keep them in the correct order and orientation.

^^^

Bit unnecessary IMO - OP has fixed the issue, if parts were required then a simple 'try here' ?

Chris_in_the_UK said:
^^^

Bit unnecessary IMO - OP has fixed the issue, if parts were required then a simple 'try here' ?

Thank you Father.

alex yates said:
Hi,

Since I bought my car the secondary air pump has always whined for the first 20 seconds or so. Anyhow, whilst on holiday in the South of France the other week it got even louder (probably down to all the dust and heat) and by the time I was back in Blighty didn't sound too healthy at all.

Replacement pump on eBay £855: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...ts=Model:911|Plat_Gen:996&hash=item3f3a510391

Took it off the other night and removed the fan side of it to try and get to the motor. The motor is fixed inside the outer housing and I wasn't able to get it out, but you can see the shaft coming out held in place with a bearing. Gave the bearing a good dowse in WD-40, whacked it all back together and bolted it back in.

Now quite as a mouse on every cold start. No doubt some other members have the same problem and don't want to have to fork out £855.

Only 2 bolts to remove to lift out the pump, disconnect the power supply and pull off the air pipe, the undo the fan housing (5 spring clips) and fan off the back (13mm AF nut) and squirt in some lubricant, then all back together. Took me about 30 mins in total. Make sure when you remove all the fan parts off the shaft, you keep them in the correct order and orientation.

Hi,

Going to give this a go this weekend as my whiny SAI is really getting on my goat. What's an AF nut- is it a special kind of nut?

No - 13mm AF means 13mm across flats - it's the size of the nut.

Robertb said:
Hi,

Going to give this a go this weekend as my whiny SAI is really getting on my goat. What's an AF nut- is it a special kind of nut?

AF=Across Flats, so Alex means 13mm spanner.

Errrrrr, best leave your toolbox in the shed this weekend eh :floor:

Only joking Robertb :thumb:

kurlykris said:
Robertb said:
Hi,

AF=Across Flats, so Alex means 13mm spanner.

Errrrrr, best leave your toolbox in the shed this weekend eh :floor:

Only joking Robertb :thumb:

:oops: :oops:

Probably not a bad idea actually, it rarely ends well when I attempt anything DIY related. :frustrated:

I once had a '99 Audi TT with a similar secondary air pump setup.

The thing to do when those gave up was to unplug the electrical connection and blank off the hose where it connected to the airbox. You would just get a fault code when doing a scan but no lights were lit.

It's purpose is to cheat the emissions on first startup.

wasz said:
It's purpose is to cheat the emissions on first startup.

.......for the American market :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back