Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help me value a Tip' 964? + Flappy paddle conversion

Mat59

Hi all,

Seriously considering a 964 tip. It's come up for sale though a friend of a friend, so he has no idea what to charge me and I'm not sure what to offer!?

So, the details. It's a 1990 C4, guards red (no rot or fade), black leather, flag mirrors, cup wheels, 80k miles. Generally in very good condition. It's a japanese import which explains the lack of rot. It has FSH but it's in japanese! Has subsequent history at Indy in UK.

I'd prefer a manual but this may be a bargain so I'm tempted. I may try and do a flappy paddle conversion on it in the future as I've seen a few old threads about it.

Can anyone suggest what it might be worth? Anyone have experience of driving a tip with flappy paddles?

Many many thanks.

Matt

such a conversion isn't too hard to do

since any universal kit will work wired into the gearbox micro switches

most systems are big sellers for Japanese cars, but same fitting for a 911

http://www.design911.co.uk/ should ? sell the kits or can get hold of them

note on the image, can't recall where it came from ?

Attachments

• a9ec10c5_185.jpg
    a9ec10c5_185.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 5,167
It must be a C2 as you cant get a C4 auto :?:

Personally I'd get rid of that hideous wheel and turn it back to stock. Price is then on condition and range £15k - £25k for a Tip

I've owned a 993 Tip 'S' with the controls on the wheel. Worked fine and obviously a lot better than shifting the stick when you want to drop a cog rather than useing kickdown. Gearboxes are bullet proof being a Merc derived 4 speed unit :thumb:

When driving in manual mode with the 964 Tip, how long does it take between selecting another gear and the gear engaging?

I've recently bought an X5 sport auto as my main runaround and when driving in sport manual mode it takes up to the best part of a second to change cogs after gear selection, so the mind has to be around 1500rpm ahead of the engine.

Presumably the Porsche is a bit more instantaneous?

I think my Tip is no slower than your average driver using a manual, it's not an instant gear change like today's sequential boxes but I've never thought of it as slow and the beauty of it is you can keep your right foot planted when you change up.

It's also brilliant on the twisty bits just nudging it up and down between 2nd and 3rd and when you get into town you always have the auto option which is pretty good too.

I don't have an issue with moving my hand to the gear stick to change, when in tiptronic mode, as it's exactly what I do when driving a manual.

The only way to really see if you like it is to drive one.

you know what you want to pay, whack your dough on the table and see what happens. he can say yes or no, its democracy.

Trust me, he knows what its worth.

tip must have been popular on the 911 as there are loads everywhere.

saw this flappy paddle conversion before - quite liked the idea of doing it but cant remember where i saw the photo or got the parts.

can you let me know where you would get these parts ? thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back