Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 64
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 22
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 7
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, I don't see that many of this type of thread on this forum. Nice work, and with the DIY stuff, I have to say I'm not that much into doing stuff myself. I have done some things but nothing like what you have done.

How you getting on after lowering it? I lowered mine with TechArt springs which are made by H&R, lowered it about 15mm. How do you find getting around now on normal roads? How much lower is it now? Looks much lower than mine.

Congrats on a great looking car.

amh
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice!!!! thumbsup
Seems that quite many did move from E46 M3 to 997.
I did the same!
I had also E64 M6 on my mind, but I'm really happy that i did went for Porsche.
Still looking forward to first track day with my car. Drive
I think if you would went back to E46 and even CSL, you would not be satisfied anymore.
Once you go to the dark side.. there is no way back!
That is at least how i feel, now still driving also M-cars almost daily.
Ex. E46 M3 '01 carbonschwarz metallic
Ex. E38 740iAL '97 orientblau metallic
Ex. E46 328Ci '00 schwarz II

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. Hope it inspires some more DIY threads, normally the best things to read on forums.

I like to keep a visual diary of the bits I do to my cars, it's nice to look back on as things progress. I also keep an excel spreadsheet where I log everything I do, a bit much but it saves checking back through receipts if need be.

Isysman - I have to say, I'm finding it perfectly acceptable. I was worried that the car would be too low and that I would end up grounding out the front bumper over bumps but thankfully, it still sails over them. I have an inclined entrance to the area where I work on my cars and I do have to take that at an angle but I'm fairly used to doing manoeuvres like that so it's no trouble.
I haven't tried multi-story car parks as yet but if I know I'm going to one I tend to use another car. Smile
General driving, no issues, the car rides MUCH nicer and the steering isn't so light at speed, it takes bumps much smoother thanks to the progressive coils and I haven't a single complaint over the OEM springs. I think it's -25mm.

Thanks AMH, I also considered a M5/M6 but I really wanted a manual, I think yo are correct about not going back.. Wink

Over the weekend, I gave the car some more attention. Oil change and fitted the central radiator/X51/GT3, whatever you refer to it as, kit.

The car still has 9 months or so until it's official service is due and has only covered 5.5k miles since the last.
Using the recommended oil, genuine Porsche filter and a stainless magnetic sump plug, I set about doing the oil change. Extremely easy job which perfect access to the oil filter and sump plug.

The oil came out much cleaner than expected, I also used a strong magnetic which I placed by the drain hole on my oil tank which would help catch any ferrous particles in order to identify a potential issue, I also cut open the oil filter. Much to my delight, there wasn't a single particle found anywhere! Very Happy

Perfectly "clean" filter on the outside, same for the inside.

New stuff in, job done Smile

Saturday morning, radiator time..
Really straight forward job, quite enjoyed this. Annoyingly, I didn't take many pictures once I fitted the rad with the bumper off!! I spent a fair while cleaning and treating the radiators, plastics and behind the bumper!

Before

The kit (For anyone interested, the radiator has a capacity of 500ml as I filled it with water to find out prior to fitting).

Painting some of the torx screws

Bumper removed

Stuff +iPad following Maxie' guide! (I chose not to remove the lights and washer jets from the bumper.

Filthy duct which got cleaned and treated. Rads were fairly clear of debris as 911BOX had them cleaned when they painted my front bumper, I still gave them a brush once I removed the ducts and a blast with an airline.
[

Annoyingly, no pictures with the radiator fitted and ducts, rads cleaned without the bumpers. So straight to the finished article.

Took the car for a few laps and managed to put back in all of the coolant which I captured. I had to filter this as there was a few bits and bugs floating around in it, really not sure how they've got in there.. I also managed to get in 300ml of additional distilled water,I think there is some trapped air still but I simply haven't driven the car enough to shake it out..

Next, low temp thermo.
thumbsup thumbsup bye

Last edited by MarkGolf on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, I have used the car a few times since fitting the radiator and I have noticed that the oil temperature sticks at a firm 92 degrees on average town driving, I'm pretty sure it was stuck at 100 previously. I suspect the change is a mix of both the new oil and the radiator.

I was able to have a spirited late night drive and I couldn't push the oil temp over 105 degrees, on this drive previously, I was seeing close to 120.. In addition, the other noticeable difference was in how quick the temperature dropped back down to 92. I always drive the car gently prior to turning it off, a cool down run so to speak, normally this would have been up to 10 mins after a hard drive, now, I'd say less than 5 mins!

So, great mod for cooling the car quickly and helping to keep temps down.. Better for oil, engine and the mind!

Now I just need to get a moment to fit the thermostat and report on the differences with that fitted. Thumb

t1x
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Just read the post and well done, you have been a busy man.

Love the car and what you have done with it.

I wanted to ask how you went about putting the film on the rear lights. I too want to get some dectanes when I have saved up enough to spare.

Where did you get the film from and how did you apply it?

Thanks

Rockunrolla
Albert Park

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread , well done Thumb Thumb

Loving the no number plate front , ive just gone to the garge and taken mine off Very Happy
RR sport
T6 camper
Harley fat bob

Ex- FERRARI California
Ex - 991 S PDK - Aero kit guards red/yellow wrapp.
Ex - Red 997-Man Coupe-Aero kit
Ex - Silver 996 C4 Tip Cab

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps,

The tint film was from ebay, not this seller but same stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Rear-Light-Tinting-Tint-Film-Vinyl-Sheet-Not-spray-/360843894352?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5403f8de50

It's pretty good for the price, I used a product called Lamin-X before but simply can't find a reseller for it anymore.

Really easy to apply, clean the light, mist some water onto the light, peel off the backing to the film, mist some water onto there, apply the film to the light starting at one side and with some sort of squeagy, slide that over the top in order to push arm and water out from in between both surfaces, really easy!

Does look good without a front plate, I'm getting slightly paranoid with not having one so I need to pull my finger out and use the stick on one I have. I plan to stick it to a magnetic sheet and place magnets behind the front bumper so I can add/remove as I please. Smile

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update, I'm about to go to Dubai for a week for my 30th Birthday, so what better time to send off some parts which make the car impossible to drive!

[

Steering wheel, gear knob, plastic piece in front of the gearknob, hand brake handle and trim are all off to Jack @ RoyalSteeringWheels.

I cannot wait to see what these come out, his work was perfect on my M3's steering wheel.

I have some light marks on the centre console so I am debating whether or not to send the entire thing off for the same treatment along with the door grab handles.

Prior to removing the above, I found that it gets to 167 very quickly..... Cop bye I thought these were limited to 155?

Last edited by MarkGolf on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're getting confused with VAG cars. Porsches are sports cars and are not restricted. My Boxster did over 155mph not that I ever did that of course

What are you having done to the parts you removed?

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's a VAG specific thing, I thought all German cars were limited to 155MPH to meet some sort of regulation.. My M3 wouldn't go over 163 until I had it mapped.. I just had a quick google and found that Porsche do not adhere to this German "agreement"..Grin

The parts are going to be retrimmed in black alcantara with grey stitching. The steering wheel is receiving some further work in the form of extra girth and thumb grips being added.

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's so they don't have to test their equipment at those speeds and don't have to fit tyres that certified at those speeds. Would be no point having all these different models IMO if they all had the same top speed.

jjppww
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pics and a great diary….. inspired me to be even more OCD than I already am...obvious Q though… Why no front number plate fitted?

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I'm just not a fan of front number plates, I seem to go through a phase with every car I own, whereby I remove the plate and then eventually get fed up of hiding in traffic to not be seen by the police car up ahead so I end up refitting some form of plate. I prefer the look of cars without them, just looks cleaner. My M3 looked so good without but in the end, I had to fit one, albeit a vinyl one.

I will be fitting a magnetic one as soon as I find decent magnets to stick inside the bumper.

jjppww
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Married to a copper I don't think I'll get away with that one…..!!! Keep the pics coming mate……..

jjppww
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the Steering wheel and gear lever look?

Frenchmeister
Barcelona

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is pretty much getting the same treatment, can i ask what difference blanking the airbox off along with the Samco hose made ?
What did you polish the tips with ? i have just refinished mine using scotchbrite and metal polish which has kept the "brushed" look.
Did the 3rd radiator and LTT and i will be fitting a GT3 smiley grill, bits here and ready to do.
H & R springs to do along with some subtle wheel spacing, i was not too convinced with the car at first, but everytime i take it out it just gets better Very Happy
I have done a Gundo on mine and i love it ! i have a set of boxes here which are awaiting the Gundo soon to be for sale.
Much better than original with overun pops and spits but not intrusive Cool
BMW E46 330i touring M Sport 05 Imola Red 2

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there with the copper other half... Wink

I got back from Dubai last night to be welcomed by a package from Jack at Royal Steering Wheels. I wasn't looking forward to returning home 1 bit until I received a text from parcel force saying that my package from jack was out for delivery Smile

Opened it up as soon as I stepped inside and as expected, the quality of Javks work is perfection. Great symmetry in the stitch work, straight lines and no loose threads, just a perfect job.

Plan is to fit it all some time in the next few hours.

The samco/blank simply added noise, I think it helped top end but I'm not sure if that's more placebo than reality... I recommend it for noise.

I used some unknown acid stuff to loosen the carbon build up and then various metal polishes to get them up like new again... I did use wirewool on the inside of the tips!

That's good to hear about the gundo, I have decided to get this done on mine now, I was debating some electronic valves which vabric / driftworks sell so I can switch the noise on and off much like a PSE but as I've got a mate who can weld, I'll do this if I feel the need.
Did you opt for a pipe between the in and out pipes or did you go from the cap at the top of the box?

You should get a build thread up Smile

Last edited by MarkGolf on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frenchmeister
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, i did the by pass between inner and outer, after asking our learned friends on here i went for 38mm pipe as i did not want it silly loud.
It gives a deeper noise and positvly bellows above 4k, nice pops and spits on overun but put the window up and you cannot here it.
A grinder will be needed to cut off some of the old fixings as they will be crusty and sockets will not touch them,i replaced mine with M8 X 30 & 40 stainless socket head machine screws, you may also need a couple of new sleeve clamps, replaced the box to mounting brackets with stainless steel nuts and bolts also after drilling them out as they were not too clever, i also inverted the long bolts which fasten the box to the hangers, which will make removal a piece of cake should it be required.
I have a set of spare boxes in good order should you be interested, this kept my car mobile as i bought a set of donor boxes and had them hacked by a guy i know who builds exhausts from scratch www.exhaustcraft.co.uk
Do it you will be pleased, you would not want to switch it off !
Smile

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice! I'm hoping my bolts and clamps wont be too bad having only covered 28k but I plan on order new bits once I have a look and work out what I need prior to removing the bits! I've got the use of a few other cars so being without the use of this won't be a prob, thanks for the offer though Smile

This is what sold the "hack" to me, I love the popping and crackling Thumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd824VD9ynQ

Finally got around to fitting my new trimmed parts, I am over the moon with them, the thicker wheel with thumb grips has made it a much nicer experience to drive, I hated how thin the standard wheel was, especially coming from my M3.

Refitting took minutes and no issues with the airbag light (I was bad and didn't disconnect the battery throughout the whole period, I simply never started the car in order to avoid triggering the light)

I returned to work and waiting for me was my new drivers side outer sill trim! My current one has some scuff marks and the metal "Carrera S" plaque looks as if someone had tried to pull it out, perhaps when the sill was painted.. It was scratched too, so a nice new piece is going to replace it this weekend Smile

For anyone wondering if these are screwed on, perhaps like the guys who painted my car before I bought it and bent the plaque, they're not.. Just 3M tape..

Current

New trim

The next planned jobs are the LTT, Gundo hack and hopefully some more alcantara work to, I am thinking to have the seat backs and centre console professionally re-trimmed in matching alcantara with grey stitching along with some other pieces too so that it all ties in.

I also want to bin the 9 year old rubber brake lines and go for some Goodridge hoses and ATE super blue fluid, a combo I have never had an issue with and always noticed the benefits.

Apologies for the poor iPhone pics Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MarkGolf on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frenchmeister
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark my car had only done 39k, i can assure you the fixings will be bolloxed, are you sure you do not have my car as my door sill trim is also a bit crusty !
I am waiting to see if something else a bit more tasty (Carbon) comes along at a sensible price Laughing
Get the LTT fitted sharpish and a 3rd radiator kit which is circa £100 from Porsche centres (costs about £800 in component parts), i have also changed the crappy water hose clamps where accessible with decent jubilee clips.

Go Gundo !

I have recently fitted 6 x Beru coil packs (car parts 4 less) and new heat shields for circa £14 a pop, all fastenings coated with anti seize compound on refit.
Getting the offside rear quarter repainted soon by a friend who has his own paintshop as it has had previous paint which quite frankly is ***** Evil or Very Mad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: