Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

laser/radar detectors

mrcityrunner

Hello... probably been asked a thousand times before but just for the sake of up to date information... does anyone use a radar/laser detector that's very good at detecting those mobile police vans on the side of motorways or above on those bridges as I do a lot of motorway driving? Not interested in Laser jammers as I dont want to go to jail but as laser/radar detectors are not illegal I guess i'll go for one of those. No wise cracks about "dont speed will be cheaper" please as everyone does it - just want to be a little more safe in doing so at times when the road conditions permit.

Beltronics RX65, Snooper 3Zero, Road Angel Gem+, Pogo Alert+... heard these names around a lot...?

I guess im interested in learning about whether someone already owns a device they swear by and has helped them avoid getting done.

Many thanks

R

Thanks Tinker but i think the K2 isnt a laser/radar detector - just a fixed speed camera detector with GPS... so wont help with police on a motorway...

The problem is, once a laser detector gives you the warning, it's probably too late and you're clocked!

Might be better to get a GPS unit that has the usual locations where they lurk, and then slow down a bit??

As S2000 said, I remember reading a few reviews of laser detectors over the years & the conclusion was pretty much the same.....yes they work, but dont give you enough time to do anything about it.
Plus, at least on the M25 currently, they seem to be installing these semi-hidden new grey gatso type camers on the gantrys. Either perched on a small platform to the near-side of the gantry or on the "far side" of the gantry, so that you only see them once you've gone through them, or you can see them on the other carriageway as you approach them. Whether they're active yet or not I'm not sure but I'd guess they will be soon. I've seen the ones just to the west of the Enfield roadworks section flashing away as everyone puts their foot down (to over 70mph) as they exit the roadworks.
So I'm guessing that these fixed cameras will be the main deterrent for Motorway drivers, not mobile laser guns.
Be careful out there!

You can look into this matter ad infinitum as I did (even considered the 'garage door openers'). The conclusion I came to was to use a Garmin SatNav that shows the Mobile Camera Zones and approach those areas with high caution. The other thing is to observe the sped limits on Specs area and Motorways as you are too visible to the Police but they can be "invisible" to you - the classic sniper sitting atop the bridge - he can see you but you'll struggle to see him. That's how you can becoem a dead man so easily.

Combination of good SatNav and situational awareness is probably your best defence at the most cost-effective price.

The other best precaution is to have self-control and restraint when you go on a "spirited" drive with a bunch of other Porsche enthusiasts who turn what started into a drive together into a race around an imaginary Nurburgring and compel you to keep up with them. A sure way to get nicked if you lose your situational awareness because your focus is on keeping up with the race boys and you lose sight of the usual caution you exercise int erms of where to speed and by how much. Some of the guys I have been out with have had me driving at silly speeds to try and catch them up because they will overtake a car knowing full well that the guys behind cannot make the same gap!

I now choose carefully who I have a 'spirited' drive with and actually prefer country lane driving in my own company where there is not the psychological pressure inflicted on me and others to keep up.

Thanks guys...good and valid points....its what i thought deep down but was hoping some magical device out there thats unknown to me would solve the problem which of course it will not. I think im headed down the gps detector route like a road angel gem+ mixed with a large helping of situational awareness :sad:

very rarely i sometimes wonder what it would be like not to have the choice of planting 385bhp in a bright white 911 and mosey on down the road in a black underpowered inconspicous car......but then i snap out of it :D

I'm happy to share with you that if I went for a Road Angel-type-of-device, I would have bought the Pogo Alert at around £250. In my opinion is superior (or was) to a Road Angel when I looked in Autumn 2012.

May be worth a phone call to the supplier for Pogo Alert (they are in Nottingham) and to the suppliers of Road Angel before deciding.

Thanks cheshire911...will look into that... :thumbs:

Some sort of device - be it a SatNav with mobile camera zones or a Pogo Alert or whatever PLUS HEAPS of situational awareness and self-restraints from boy-racers trying it on in Citroen Saxos's and Seat Leons are your best defence. Constant awareness of what is behind and ahead as well as to sides of junctions will go a long way to protect you.

We once had a defensive driving course at my employer. The guys who taught us were all ex-coppers from Traffic Division and taught the Traffic guys. When I asked about Police Training for high speed pursuit and how they do it, the reply was a shock. "First of all, we don't teach them high speed skills. The first thing we do is mental training to divorce themselves from the guy infront who is recklessley driving sp that we avoid two cars being recklessly driven and doubling the risk of danger!"

It is mental distance from the bad guy in front they must learn first and foremost. Once we see that they can exercise that restraint and not take the same risks as the reckless yob in front, then we show them high speed car technique and braking rechnique that includence cadence braking bringing the vehicle to a safe stop.

Interesting observation that one I guess.

I bought a Snooper, which was utterly c*ap. One of the worst things I bought this year. Much better was the Roadangel app, which for a £25 subscription gives you all of the cameras in an area...BUT it gets very tedious. I just hope that the copper who eventually pulls me will take a bung.

That was a joke, obviously!

Gav171073 said:
I just hope that the copper who eventually pulls me will take a bung.

That was a joke, obviously!
There's no harm in asking. You might want to save the offer for someone far more senior as the less senior ones appear to treat it as some sort of crime. In my experience. :eek:

+1 for the Garmin as per Cheshire911

The latest versions come with free map & detector upgrades for life together with up to the minute traffic information via free digital signal.

I don't even bother with my one any more.
I used to use a Bel Euro550 & it was brilliant.

These days with the vans with one window down in the back, it doesn't even register, so I took the detector out of the car.

I dont know what the new cameras use, but I'm sure its not a laser either, as it should have picked them up.

Same here, binned my old faithful Bel unit as with the new ANPR, SPECS, Digital and DS2 systems there is nothing to 'detect'. What use is a detector that only warns of a small percentage of the threat?

GPS units bespoke/nav or app that warn of locations or known locations are the only ones worth having.

For the record, the Tom Tom database was excellent through Europe last month and warned accurately of every camera we saw and the speed they were policing was accurate too. Also speed limit changes were bang on the road sign locations.
:thumb:

I have a Pogo GPS which is excellent, but the current TomTom software is simply better and has far more useful oncoming screen info too, so am not using the Pogo anymore.

TomTom now has a camera site marked on the A34 bridge I copped 6 points on, the Pogo went under it, and despite 'updates' still goes under it quiet as a mouse...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back