Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.2 value?

Barnezy

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I bought a Cayman S last year and caught the Porsche bug. I sold it shortly after as I was expecting to do more miles for work and took a company car instead.

Now I'm looking at a classic Porsche as a second car/investment/something to work on at the weekend.

Prices of these cars have rocketed recently and it's had to say what a good deal is now. I'm looking at this on Monday http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C510647# is it an ok deal? Spoken to them and seems to have a good history and will obviously get it checked first, but is £25k just too much?

That's a bit sad, 151 views and no responses.

Well here is my opinion, go and see the car and if you feel it is the right one go for it.

The problem with old cars is the same regardless of the marque, they get old and they get used. This means that you will need to look beyond the shine and ignore the service history or accept it for what it is..history.

The car you like looks nice in the pictures, if it is mechanically sound and not rusty then it could be a good buy.

I am restoring a 3.2 at the moment, and can confirm that completely restoring the braking system is not at all expensive and a simple home mechanic job (and I include replacing the S pipes and fitting goodridge hoses), so that should not be a worry, in general mechanical parts are simple on a 3.2.

Rust is not, so if at all rusty, bubbly etc probably best to leave it especially at that price.

So my answer to your question is at that price nothing should need doing for the foreseeable future.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi,

That car looks like a good buy to me and it's black! If you dally it probably won't be there when you finally make your mind up, go see it, if nothing else you will learn something about 3.2 Carreras from the owner.

The probable reason it hasn't already gone is because it doesn't have leather but if you're planning on a keeper, don't worry about that for now you can always sort it later. On the plus side, the velour/pasha pinstripe upholstery clearly shows the car has indeed been looked after, otherwise the bolsters would have been well worn and they look pretty good in the photos.

I owned a 3.2 back in the day and they are pretty well bullet proof engine and gearbox wise. Check the wheel arches front and rear for rust, the windscreen surround and scuttle especially where it attaches to the front wings. Make sure all the switches work, you'll have fun finding them.

Also look under the bonnet for the sticker. Take out the spare wheel and (check for original tool kit and tyre compressor) look for any damp in the bottom of the bonnet and check for visible signs for repairs, same on inside of engine compartment. Take up the carpets and check the floor is bone dry.

Finally, check the oil if it's a nice colour you're in!

Good luck,
Paul

They're asking top money for that car so I would expect the body and rust areas attended to. If they aren't you're into five figures sorting it out - ask ClarkyCat when he returns from Berlin after celebrating with his leather coated and Leiderhosen chums :grin:

A google search on the seller's phone number suggests it's not a private sale but in fact a dealer. Make of that what you will...

A google search on the seller's phone number suggests it's not a private sale but in fact a dealer. Make of that what you will...

Sneaky :grin: :thumb:

It is going to depend on condition. We recently finished (9 month project) a full restoration - car had nearly a new floor, inner panels, outer ones etc. It is now mint.

It was independently valued by a Porsche valuer (some who I trust who knows the market) at £35k. That is top money but the car body work was mint - zero rust.

That was a few months ago but as we know prices are rising.

Main thing on these is body work condition - if there is rust on the B pillar at the bottom to the inner wings - walk away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back