Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I dont like ..991 ' Door Mirrors' location .... and more..

911TEL

The 991 ...... whilst its a nice car ,am I alone in really not liking the location of the door mirrors on the door panel ?

I much prefer the location of the mirrors on the 997, it gives the car a more balanced look ( IMHO )

I understand that the door panel location is for the purpose of aero effiency but it's still pants in my book ....

I don't care much for the new console either or the engine attenuated sound into the cabin ( What is that about ??)....
Even worse is the new sunroof when open , looks like a half designed job...

.. maybe new ideas take a while to grow on me !!

:frustrated:

T

Hm. Just had a look at a pic of a 991 (in Guards Red of course) and looked at mine sitting on the drive. See what you mean about the mirrors but not a game-changer for me. I've driven a 991 and the centre console does bug me a bit but that might be because I'm currently used to the relatively wide open space inside a 997. It must be growing on me because when it first came out I thought it looked like a Halfords accessory and now I'm more ambivalent. The sunroof is a problem though, admitted - to the point where I'd rather not have one and take the advantages that offers (simpler, cheaper etc.). I don't actually mind it opening outwards but it doesn't open fully. Haven't driven one with it though so I'll leave the final decision until I do.
The clinchers for me though are the rear end, which I think looks a lot more resolved than the 997, and the ride - it really is that good.
And it looks the nads in Guards Red - I will be buying one in a year or so.

Sounds like you wont be moving to a 991 then, unless Porsche take note and make some mods to the next variant.

Must be a 997 familiarity thing as coming in 'fresh' I really like center console (feels properly grown up and enveloping) and the glass roof. Sure, opening full would be better, but it adds another dimension to the car - not least aurally.

I've never given the mirrors any thought other than that they are a bit small compared to previous cars. I went for the folding ones as I garage the car.

Engine noise is fabulous to my ears regardless of how it's achieved! With the sunroof, windows and Sports Exhaust button you have an endless set of ways to listen.

Just my view, but the 997 never did it for me - it was a big improvement over the 996 interior wise, but it didn't 'catch' me. I find it a bit upright.

The 991 does it for me ... in spades! :worship:

I don't mind the mirrors and quite like the interior and new gadgets on offer, but WTF is going on with the misaligned lettering on the PDK gate and why oh why have half the PCM buttons obscured by the gear selector :dont know: :pc:

I think the NA cars look great but for some reason the exterior design of the new turbo just doesn't work for me - I do love the looks of the GT3 though and I really can't wait for the RS... :grin:

The 991 is a let-down(IMO) I can't ever see myself owning one(new or used).

Agreed, Good points here..

I also like the rear end of the 991 it does add an extra dimension to the effect of the car....( but the mirrors are still prevalent from that view !)

I also see a more balanced car when i look at the 991 4S compared to the 991 Turbo ( in Photos ) but i saw a 991 Turbo S here in Singapore the other day and it is a jaw dropper in the metal , i nearly didnt notice the door mirrors it was so nice !!

The 997 Turbo in comparison looks 100% better than the 997 4S ( O) ....

I think i would ' maybe' consider one in the future & be able to live with it but no sunroof for me , i really cant get on with it opening like that....
The console i think i could grow to like, its similar to the enclosed feel of my SL actually..

The interior is an improvement again on the 997 ( as you would expect) so i can appreciate that ....

I did consider a 991 4S while looking around recently but the 997 Turbo S call was an opportunity i had to take up.... ( 991 Turbo S price being a bridge too far and wasnt 60k better value !)

I had owned a 997 Turbo Tip previously, loved the car , didnt like the Tip box,then scratched the GT3 itch then realised that i needed seats more than roll cages and the call of the Turbo effect is one that is hard to ignore once you have lived with it for a while ...

I can see it being in my garage for a while yet !!

T

I believe the moving of the mirror was because of a new EU law. I'll see if I can find it. It's to do with safety If I remember correctly.

I think its fair to say that the 991 appeals to a slightly different demographic. Myself for example! I looked at 996's around 2003, and 997's in 2008 and didn't bite.

I think there is also a certain (and perfectly natural) negativity to new models from existing owners who love their current cars to bits and know them inside out and upside down. It would be weird if there wasn't! :dont know:

I've been in M3's for 10 years and saw it when the e92 was launched, lots of negativity from e46 owners, never going there, blah, blah, blah. I recall the wing mirrors and exhaust (which hangs below the valence) being particularly untenable. 18 months later most of the detractors were drivig them and the same people are now talking them up as the last of the 'proper' M3's. Yet previously an M3 with a V8 was all wrong!

Now there is the same backlash against the F82 ... but now there are cars available for test drives people are slowly but surely changing their points of view!

If a new model wasn't different from the last one there would be no point in producing one. Generally cars improve, but there will always be aspects that some folks prefer from the previous model. Whether that is really enough to prevent them buying into a new model is in my mind questionable. We are all magpies/tarts given half the chance!

:thumbs:

weejimmy said:
I think its fair to say that the 991 appeals to a slightly different demographic. Myself for example! I looked at 996's around 2003, and 997's in 2008 and didn't bite.

I think there is also a certain (and perfectly natural) negativity to new models from existing owners who love their current cars to bits and know them inside out and upside down. It would be weird if there wasn't! :dont know:

I've been in M3's for 10 years and saw it when the e92 was launched, lots of negativity from e46 owners, never going there, blah, blah, blah. I recall the wing mirrors and exhaust (which hangs below the valence) being particularly untenable. 18 months later most of the detractors were drivig them and the same people are now talking them up as the last of the 'proper' M3's. Yet previously an M3 with a V8 was all wrong!

Now there is the same backlash against the F82 ... but now there are cars available for test drives people are slowly but surely changing their points of view!

If a new model wasn't different from the last one there would be no point in producing one. Generally cars improve, but there will always be aspects that some folks prefer from the previous model. Whether that is really enough to prevent them buying into a new model is in my mind questionable. We are all magpies/tarts given half the chance!

:thumbs:

Good post weejimmy. Humans in general, don't like change!
For me, the 991 is the best 911 todate & the 4S is the best type :)

weejimmy said:
something about bimmers :dont know:

+1

There's no doubt a lot of truth in what you are saying and if pressed I'm sure we could all level criticisms at the earlier models we currently own, but when you factor in cost differential - 911TEL's 60 grand turbo example a case in point - then the newer models are always going to get a good kicking.

Take it one step further and consider a nearly new 991 turbo versus one of JZM's 993 turbos - I've no doubt whatsoever that the 991 is the (objectively) better* car, but there's equally no doubt that my 100k would be better spent going to JZM.

The simple fact is that money (over)rules...

*Back in your mud huts air-coolers - nothing to see here :bandit:

dickdasterdly said:

Shall we start out own forum somewhere where we can be left in peace to talk up our 991 C4s's? :friends:

:wink:

Chimp911

*Back in your mud huts air-coolers - :bandit:

:floor: :floor: :floor:

weejimmy said:
dickdasterdly said:

Shall we start out own forum somewhere where we can be left in peace to talk up our 991 C4s's? :friends:

:wink:

Great idea weejimmy, should have our own thread at the very least :boogie:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back