Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2014 Race 3 & 4 Donnington

Porsche News

Donington Park next for Porsche Carrera Cup GB

Donington Park, one of the drivers' favourite tracks, is the next destination for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB over the Easter weekend (19/20 April) as the action for the all-new Type-991 911 GT3 Cup resumes with rounds three of the four of the championship.

While the car is brand new, the driver aiming to be at the very front of the action is certainly familiar as Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) bids for a record-breaking third championship title. The 2012 and 2013 champion made his intentions for the season clear by taking maximum points first time out at Brands Hatch to grab an early lead in the title race. He will want more of the same at Donington Park, but there are plenty of rivals eager to stop Meadows having it all his own way.

At Brands Hatch, guest racer Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) actually took both race wins, but he was not eligible for points. Ben's focus is now the Porsche Supercup, so promising youngster Max Coates will take over the guest car for Donington weekend.

The major threat to Meadows is likely to come from 2014 Carrera Cup GB Scholarship racer Josh Webster (Redline Racing), who took a third and a fourth during an impressive debut at Brands. The former single-seater ace is clearly adapting quickly to his new surroundings and will want to further trim the gap to Meadows. Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing), who was fastest overall in testing at Thruxton last week, and Paul Rees (In2 Racing) add further depth to the Pro category and will be chasing podium visits this weekend. Meanwhile, new to the Carrera Cup for Donington will be regular long-distance racer Rob Smith who will have his first race weekend with Redline Racing.

In the Pro-Am1 category, local ace Justin Sherwood from Long Whatton heads the early points, but can expect a big challenge from his Team Parker Racing team mate Karl Leonard, while Graeme Mundy makes a welcome Carrera Cup return at Donington with In2 Racing.

The Pro-Am2 category delivered some tremendous racing at Brands and it was Will Goff (In2 Racing) who set the pace to take a slender early lead in the points. However, Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing), Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) all showed great form at Brands as they stepped up to the Carrera Cup GB and Goff knows he will have his hands full again this weekend.

The 2014 Carrera Cup GB schedule includes a sensational date on the morning of the Le Mans 24-hour when it runs alongside the Carrera Cup France as the key support race to the famous 24-hour marathon in June. The balance of the season will, as is customary, support the MSA British Touring Car Championship.

Attachments

• don00_484.jpg
    don00_484.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 20,182
Coates and King to make Porsche Carrera Cup GB debuts

Aspiring young racers Max Coates and Oscar King will join the Porsche Carrera Cup GB over the next two events to race the championship's guest car with Parr Motorsport. Coates will contest the Donington Park races (19/20 April), while King will race at Thruxton (3/4 May).

Coates (20) from Richmond in North Yorkshire raced in the Ginetta Supercup in 2012 and '13 after a successful career in karting and then the Ginetta Junior Championship.

'I can't wait to get back out again and can't thank Porsche Cars GB enough for the opportunity," said Coates. 'The new Type 991 Porsches are stunning cars and from talking to some of the drivers they're as good to drive as they are to look at. I've never driven a Porsche so the weekend will be a steep learning curve but I'm ready for the challenge. I know Donington Park well so I just need to get to grips with the car: hopefully I'll be in a position to race at the front."

Former single-seater racer King (21) from Barnstable in Devon tested the 460hp Type 991 911 GT3 Cup at Thruxton last week and showed very good pace ahead of his race weekend at the Hampshire track. He has been working to move into the Carrera Cup for some time and hopes that this opportunity will lead to a fuller programme.

'I absolutely want to do the Carrera Cup," said King, who raced in the MRF series in India over the winter. 'This is where I want to be and I tested a Carrera Cup car before the start of last season. I raced at Thruxton in Formula Renault and it is one of my favourite tracks. I love the fast corners, but it will be very daunting in the Porsche."

Attachments

• don02_402.jpg
    don02_402.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 20,179
One-two-three for Redline Racing at Donington Park

Michael Meadows tops the testing times at Donington Park
Victor Jimenez and Josh Webster run very close
Karl Leonard and Steven Liquorish top Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) ended the day at the top of the time sheets for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB after testing at Donington Park today (Thursday 17 April) as teams prepared for this weekend's rounds three and four.

However, it was incredibly close as his Redline Racing team mates Victor Jimenez and Josh Webster lapped within eight hundredths of a second of Meadows' pace to give the team an impressive one-two-three result. Karl Leonard ran very strongly for Team Parker Racing to head Pro-Am1 in fourth overall, while his team mate Steven Liquorish headed Pro-Am2.

The pace was very hot for the afternoon test session despite cool track conditions and Meadows was sure there was more time to come after his best lap on new tyres was lost when his Type 991 911 GT3 Cup ran short of fuel.

Championship newcomer Max Coates made an impressive debut with Parr Motorsport to end the day fifth fastest overall, while Leonard set a cracking pace to head Pro-Am1 with a best time that put him up among the Pro drivers in fourth place overall.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) first overall:
'I went to push on new tyres and it started to cough on the way up the hill from the Old Hairpin. I was half a second up at that point. I think we'll be in good shape for qualifying and I'm aiming at a 1m6.5s lap. The car feels very good and we're really getting a handle on it now."

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) second overall:
'It's very close and I had a little flat spot on a tyre. I had a problem at Redgate: I braked 70m later and went into the gravel and was very close to the wall. I hope I can go a little bit faster in qualifying. I felt very strong in the car."

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) third overall:
'It's been a very positive day and I'd never been to Donington in a GT car before. In the afternoon we found a good set up and there is definitely more time to find. I think we're all going to find a few tenths in qualifying."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) fourth overall and fastest in Pro-Am1:
'That's good pace. I kind of mucked up and did my best lap on the second run on the new tyres. So it wasn't the ultimate, but we're in the mix and there's more time to come."

Max Coates (Parr Motorsport) fifth fastest overall:
'It's brilliant: I absolutely loved it. It's been a good day and I learned a lot: it's very different to anything I've done before. I'll just try to keep improving and there's another half-second in me. Working with the new tyres was a big challenge."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) fastest in Pro-Am2:
'That was better than the morning session, but I didn't quite get the best out of the new tyres. There were a couple of key places where I was losing time and I found those with the data, so thanks to Team Parker Racing."

Attachments

• don03_189.jpg
    don03_189.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 20,177
Rob Smith set for Carrera Cup GB debut at Donington Park

Rob Smith, the experienced long-distance racer, will make his Porsche Carrera Cup GB this weekend at Donington Park (19/20 April) at the start of his campaign in the latest Type 991 911 GT3 Cup.

Smith will race with Redline Racing in the car used by Kelvin Fletcher in the opening races of the season at Brands Hatch. Smith and Fletcher will share the car across the balance of the season, with Fletcher back out for rounds five and six at Thruxton (3/4 May).

Smith's plan is to use the season to hone his sprint race skills in the latest Type 991 Porsche before tackling some of the world's greatest 24-hour races in a Porsche GT car in 2015.
'I want to get to know the Porsche before going endurance racing next season," said Smith. 'I want to do the big 24-hour races like Daytona and Spa."

Smith started competing in oval racing and then moved into the Production BMW Championship, winning the title twice in 2009 and 2010. After a season in Production Touring Cars he started racing in the Nurburgring-based VLN series. In 2013, he won his class title in a BMW M3 GTR.

Earlier this year he tested a Porsche with Redline Racing in preparation for the Bathurst 12-hour race in Australia. That led to the chance to race in the Carrera Cup GB and, after Donington, his next race will be at Le Mans in June when the Carrera Cup GB joins with the Carrera Cup France as a key support race to the world-famous 24-hour race.

'To do Bathurst and Le Mans in a Porsche in the same season is pretty amazing," said Smith.

Attachments

• don04_495.jpg
    don04_495.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 20,175
Meadows takes double Carrera Cup GB pole at Donington

Michael Meadows tops qualifying at Donington Park
Karl Leonard stars to go second overall and top of Pro-Am1
Steven Liquorish heads Peter Kyle-Henney in Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows claimed a double pole position in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during qualifying at Donington Park today (Saturday 19 April). However, it was the storming pace of Karl Leonard, who took second for both races, that was the big talking point of the session.

While Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) set the overall pace, Leonard (Team Parker Racing) ran him very close and was just a quarter of a second adrift on the grid for this afternoon's round three. On the grid for Sunday's round four, the margin was only three-tenths of a second. Leonard also headed Pro-Am1 by a handy margin.

Behind Leonard, young lions Josh Webster (Redline Racing) and guest racer Max Coates (Parr Motorsport) ran third and fourth for both races as Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) and Paul Rees (In2 Racing) rounded out the top six.

Leonard dominated the Pro-Am1 category with Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) and series newcomer Rob Smith (Redline Racing) slotting into second and third. Meanwhile, the stage is set for a fine contest in Pro-Am2 where Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) narrowly headed Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport). On the grid for round four they are split by less than a tenth of a second.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) fastest overall:
'We've lost a bit of grip since testing on Thursday. There's a big tailwind on the main straight and the car doesn't feel overall as quick. I think we need to tinker with the car before the race. There is a bit more time in it."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) second overall and fastest in Pro-Am1:
'I'm delighted to be P2. I had a bit of a gear selection problem and on another lap I was 0.15s up going down the Craner Curves. There's definitely a 1m6.7s lap in it."

'That was a solid session but I'm still hunting for pole. I was bit disappointed on my second set of tyres as I got baulked just when the tyres were perfect. I'll try and get a good start so I can push Michael in the race."

Max Coates (Parr Motorsport) fourth overall:
'I'm really happy with that as it's another seven-tenths off Thursday's time. We're still getting there with the car and I'm sure we can find a bit more."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) fastest in Pro-Am2:
'The car was good. I messed up on a couple of hot laps on my first tyre run but did a better job on the second set of tyres."

Round 3 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 1m06.711s; 2 Josh Webster 1m07.046s; 3 Max Coates 1m07.253s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard 1m06.935s; 2 Justin Sherwood 08.093s; 3 Rob Smith 1m08.462s.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Steven Liquorish 1m08.392s; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney 1m08.632s; 3 Will Goff 1m09.698s.

Round 4 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 1m06.714s; 2 Josh Webster 07.214s; 3 Max Coates 1m07.377s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard 1m07.024s; 2 Justin Sherwood 1m08.127s; 3 Rob Smith 1m08.518s.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Steven Liquorish 1m08.667s; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney 1m08.765s; 3 Will Goff 1m09.934s.

Attachments

• don05a_119.jpg
    don05a_119.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 20,172
Meadows wins Carrera Cup GB round three at Donington

Michael Meadows dominates at Donington Park
Karl Leonard takes Pro-Am1 with superb second overall
Peter Kyle-Henney wins Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows scored a resounding victory in round three of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Donington Park this afternoon (Saturday 19 April).

Meadows led from the start and drove a faultless race to extend his early season points' lead as Karl Leonard starred with a fighting drive to second overall and Pro-Am1 victory, while Peter Kyle-Henney claimed Pro-Am2 victory.

Meadows took control from the start and was able to build his lead with a measured drive for Samsung UHD TV Racing. However, things were far from settled in his wake as Leonard (Team Parker Racing) converted P2 on the grid into second place at Redgate. A lap later, Josh Webster (Redline Racing) attacked for second at the same corner, but ran wide and lost a lot of ground. Webster, the Carrera Cup Scholarship driver, then spent 12 laps fighting back up to third and onto Leonard's tail but no amount of pressure was going to dislodge the Irish racer from a great result, which included Pro-Am1 victory.

Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) was close to the second place contest by the flag, while Paul Rees (In2 Racing) tigered ahead of Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) to take fifth. Sherwood later dropped a place to Max Coates (Parr Motorsport), who recovered well from dead last after a bad start, but still took second in Pro-Am1.

In Pro-Am2, Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) cut the early pace as Will Goff (In2 Racing) fought through to second. However, Goff then spun into the gravel at McLeans and Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) dived into the category lead when Liquorish spun at the chicane. Kyle-Henney had earlier battled ahead of Pro-Am1 racer Graeme Mundy.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) first overall:
'That's a great result. I was careful at the start and didn't push too hard. The car was well-balanced and I could ease away from people. I just let the tyres come in and didn't need to lean on it."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) second overall and first in Pro-Am1:
'There was no point in chasing Michael as I was a long way ahead in Pro-Am1. I needed to push a bit harder when Josh Webster came up. We're getting there!"

'I undid all the hard work just trying to do Karl Leonard around the outside at Redgate. I was down to P5 and then had a good come back. But Karl dealt with the pressure I put on him."

Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'It was a good race for the first half and I was enjoying it. But mid-race I was having a bit of a down-shift problem and Paul Rees got a run on me onto the straight."

Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) first in Pro-Am2:
'I wouldn't have put money on that result after testing on Thursday! I didn't know what sort of pace Graeme Mundy would have. He came by me, but he wasn't quicker and so it was time to be a racing driver and go really late on the brakes to get by him again."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) second in Pro-Am2:
'The spin was my own doing. I got by Rob Smith and I was pushing on and then attacked the chicane a bit too much."

Results round 3:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Josh Webster; 3 Victor Jimenez.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard; 2 Justin Sherwood; 3 Rob Smith.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Steven Liquorish; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney.

Attachments

• don09_832.jpg
    don09_832.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 20,167
  • don08_650.jpg
    don08_650.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 20,167
  • don07_200.jpg
    don07_200.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 20,167
  • don06_101.jpg
    don06_101.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 20,167
Webster wins Carrera Cup GB thriller at Donington

Josh Webster takes famous win at Donington Park
Karl Leonard takes Pro-Am1 with fourth overall
Steven Liquorish wins Pro-Am2 in truly testing conditions

Josh Webster scored an inspired victory in round four of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Donington Park this afternoon (Sunday 20 April). In a race that started on a dry track but turned increasingly wet, Webster bravely pitted to change tyres and then swept back to win by a massive margin.

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) led the race after Webster pitted but lost a lot of time on slicks and slithered home fourth to win Pro-Am1 as Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) and Paul Rees (In2 Racing) battled with incredibly tough conditions over the closing laps to finish second and third. Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) coped superbly with the conditions to win Pro-Am2.

The drama started soon after the rolling start as poleman Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) touched the car of Leonard going into Redgate. Meadows spun into the gravel and rejoined right at the back after a delay of 40 seconds. Up front, Webster (Redline Racing) took control and was ahead when the rain started mid-race. On lap 16, with seven laps to go, Webster made the bold call to pit for wet tyres. But it proved to be the smart decision as the rain increased. Once back on track, Webster lapped up to 10s a lap faster than his rivals and stormed back to re-take the lead from Jimenez with two laps to go.

Jimenez slithered home second and Rees drove a strong race to third and his best Carrera Cup result to date, while Leonard lost time with a spin and fell to fourth. Behind Max Coates (Parr Motorsport), Meadows battled back to sixth.

Behind Leonard in Pro-Am1, Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) was mighty in the rain until a big spin at the top of the Craner Curves and then two more spins dropped him to third behind Rob Smith (Redline Racing).

The action was just as good in Pro-Am2 as Liquorish drove a fine race to keep ahead, initially under pressure from Will Goff (In2 Racing). Goff then had a couple of spins and it was Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) who moved through to second in some of the toughest track conditions in Carrera Cup history.

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) first overall:
'When I was in the pits getting the wets put on I really thought I'd messed it up. I could see cars flying past and we had a problem with the wheel gun on the rear right. But after the first lap on wets I could see how fast I was closing them down. I was hoping they'd not red flag the race and it worked out. I think I called it perfectly, but it was more luck than anything. I'm so happy for me and the team."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) fourth overall and first in Pro-Am1:
'I was seeing P1 on the pit board and thinking 'where has Josh gone?' There was just no grip when the rain came and we were going so slowly. That was the hardest race I've ever done and we all made mistakes."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'It was tough, but I harked back to my Mini days when they used to chuck me out on slicks when the track was damp. It was very, very slippery and I reined it back a bit little bit when Will came up to me. I had to just keep doing what I was doing because one spin would cost you the win."

Results round 4:
Pro category: 1 Josh Webster; 2 Victor Jimenez; 3 Paul Rees.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard; 2 Rob Smith; 3 Justin Sherwood.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Steven Liquorish; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney; 3 Will Goff.

Attachments

• don12_386.jpg
    don12_386.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 20,163
  • don11_140.jpg
    don11_140.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 20,163
  • don10_102.jpg
    don10_102.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 20,163
Meadows and Webster share Carrera Cup GB wins

Michael Meadows and Josh Webster share the wins at Donington Park
Ten drivers claim podium finishes
Impressive debuts for Max Coates and Rob Smith

Rounds three and four of the 2014 Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Donington Park (19/20 April) delivered some fine racing from the latest Type 991 911 GT3 Cups as reigning champion Michael Meadows and Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Josh Webster each took a win.

Webster's win in round four came in one of the most unpredictable races in championship history as increasing rain made conditions very demanding. Despite a pit stop to change tyres, Webster eventually won by 50s and duly recorded one of the biggest winning margins in the story of the Carrera Cup GB. Victor Jimenez (Spain: Redline Racing) clinched second, while Paul Rees (Oxford: In2 Racing) scored his best result so far with third.

In front of another bumper BTCC crowd and live on ITV4, Webster (Redline Racing) set another mark with the earliest race win for a Scholarship racer. 'To get my first win within the first two race weekends in the Porsche Carrera Cup is awesome and I want to say a massive thanks to my sponsors," said the 20-year old from Stowmarket. 'And without the Carrera Cup Scholarship I wouldn't be here!"

Other notable performances were topped by Karl Leonard (Ireland: Team Parker Racing) who dominated Pro-Am1 after qualifying a superb second overall to Meadows (Reading: Samsung UHD TV Racing). Leonard then took a second and a fourth place in the two races and earned the 'driver of the weekend' award for his superb pace. Team Parker Racing was named as 'team of the weekend' and to complete a great weekend for the Parker squad, Justin Sherwood (Loughborough) won a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Championship newcomers were Max Coates (Richmond: Parr Motorsport) and Rob Smith (Maldon: Redline Racing) and both drivers acquitted themselves extremely well. Coates showed immediate pace by qualifying fourth and then raced to two top six finishes, the second one in truly testing conditions. Smith, meanwhile, slotted in instantly to take two strong podium finishes in Pro-Am1.

Coates said: 'I had a fantastic experience and learnt so much. I wanted a podium from the races which I had the pace for in the dry. I'm hoping to have another chance to prove my worth in future rounds. I want to say a massive thank you to both Parr Motorsport and Porsche Cars GB for the opportunity this weekend."

Provisional Carrera Cup GB championship points after round 4:
Overall: 1 Michael Meadows 79; 2 Josh Webster 71; 3 Victor Jimenez 60.
Pro-Am1: 1 Karl Leonard 51; 2 Justin Sherwood 37; 3 Graeme Mundy 13.
Pro-Am2: 1 Steven Liquorish 42; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney 36; 3 Will Goff 29.
Teams: 1 Redline Racing 131; 2 In2 Racing 97; 3 Samsung UHD TV Racing 79.

Next rounds: 3/4 May, Thruxton (Hampshire).

Attachments

• don13_169.jpg
    don13_169.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 20,161

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back