Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche VTS

weejimmy

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi All,

Got my C4S on Sat and so far all good. However, I was a bit disappointed to find out that the mandatory 'factory fit' Porsche VTS isnt really an integrated Porsche system, more like an aftermarket Cobra system that means you need to carry about an extra fob. To make it worse, the fob doesn't even have a key ring hole and is too big to fit in my wallet. So its yet another thing to carry/forget!

What do others do with their transponders? Leave them in the car? I am a bit loathed to do that in case an insurer took issue with it if the car was stolen. However, from what I can tell the dealer leaves both in the central arm rest of all their demonstrators since they will still be trackable...

All in all, not very slick or 'Porsche' I'd say!

I think the idea with the fob is to keep it separate from your key hence no keychain. If someone lifts your keys then it won't be attached.

I keep my fob separate when in the house in case the car is stolen.

There's no reason you can't keep the fob in the car, just means that if it is stolen you won't know until you return to the car.

Well you can't leave it in the house when you're driving otherwise you'll get phone calls asking you if your car was stolen.

I'm talking about when at home I keep it away from my key in case someone breaks in the steal the car (it happens). They won't know it has the tracker but if it was hanging in the same keyring they'd have it anyway.

Thinking back i've had this system before, I think you just have to keep the thing in your wallet. Its pointless leaving it in the car & you don't want to leave it in the house & then forget it before you drive off. Seem to remember getting quite a few (mistake) calls in the past!

That system, really, really p*eed me off when I got it with my new 991. It costs a fortune to buy, and then they charge a large amount per year - more than 50% of my Insurance costs! And to top it, you can not buy a life time subscription either.

On my other cars, I have Tracker, for which you can sensibly buy a lifetime subscription for about £350 and no fobs to carry if you go for the monitor system. I think I know soon enough if my car has gone (not to mention with the modern cigarette lighter technology the thief simply plugs in his blocker that he bought from the internet and your tracker is useless after that).

Second issue I have with the Cobra is that every time you move the car without the fob (think of going on the channel tunnel, you must call first. Leave your car with the dealer for a repair / service, call them first or leave your fob with the dealer and so on).

I am sue that if the car was stolen and your fob was in there, they will void the claim for that reason.

Very poor partnership for Porsche and fortunately my Insurance company does not want a tracker installed anyway.

pvr said:
not to mention with the modern cigarette lighter technology the thief simply plugs in his blocker that he bought from the internet and your tracker is useless after that

Do you mean he can easily block the tracker and make it useless?!?! Are you sure?

as for me, I just recently started to leave the fob in the house...... Easy to answer one phone call and tell them the car will be moving for the next three hours than to carry it with me.... Not sure if this could affect the Insurance though...

7and911 said:
pvr said:
not to mention with the modern cigarette lighter technology the thief simply plugs in his blocker that he bought from the internet and your tracker is useless after that

Do you mean he can easily block the tracker and make it useless?!?! Are you sure?

Yep, they come with a warning that they are illegal. I am shocked that they are allowed to be sold for as little as £15 !!!

So not only is the VTS a pain to use, anyone wanting to steal our cars would not even be bothered

From advert:

>>
Tiny GPS signal Jammer Blocker. It's designed for blocking GPS trackers which may be hidden in your car, truck, van, motorcycle, vehicle etc. A car gps jammer blocking GPS reception and prohibits all GPS-enabled devices from tracking your current location. It works on car cigar/cigarette lighter socket.

These are illegal in the UK to sell, use or own under ofcom rules. If you get caught, there is up to £5000 fine.

>> :x :x

pvr said:
Very poor partnership for Porsche and fortunately my Insurance company does not want a tracker installed anyway.

My Insurance people are saying I must have a tracker installed given the value of the car, how come your people are saying different I wonder?

The reason the subscription is so expensive is, allegedly Porsche get a big kick back from it.. +50%..

I specifically asked the question - do I need to have it?

They said no (Admiral).

pvr said:
I specifically asked the question - do I need to have it?

They said no (Admiral).

Thanks for the info PVR, I'll get my broker to look into this, I think I've been quoted somewhere in the region of £1200 to date (but due to its value/£108k, the car must have a tracking device).

Mine is just under 100, perhaps there is a cut off value?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back