Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sub £15k Cayenne turbo or Range Rover Sport - which one?

Dream911

Magny-Cours
Fancy trying either of the above as the family car which will do c5k miles a year. Fuel economy not really a factor. Just want something fun that looks half decent.

Looks like you can pick up a RR sport s/c with c100k miles for £13kish or an early Cayenne turbo. Like the RR but worried about their reliability and potentially larger bills than the Cayenne's.

Any comments appreciated.

What would you choose and why?

Cheers

I've always wanted a Defender 90, that's the only 4wd I'd buy.
:)

I'd go for the RR as I think it's less cosmetic than the CT. I'd always want the 4wd that the farmers around here still buy, over a 'big car'.

Plus I like the 4wd from a company that makes 4wd and is famous for it.

I wish Porsche were a Sportscar only maker, when I was at school the very word 'Porsche' meant the same as 'Sportscar'. But now when you say Porsche it could mean a Diesel saloon or a school run bus, this means, because they have actually made this stuff now, they will never be a sole Sportscar manufacturer ever again, just a car maker, and the stuff that's done that is not their best work either.

:nooo:

If I didn't live in central london then I'd consider a defender. They certainly
have the cool factor. But as a family car for road use only I've ruled them out.

Dream911 said:
as a family car for road use only

The CT then I guess mate.

I just want to be action man, small man syndrome or something, I want mudflaps, winches, roof ladders and snorkels...

Country use RR all day long. In the city they are like a nose (everyone has got one - usually black, driven by 'gangsta' types or "blonde" females)

City use Cayenne Turbo. Its a bit different

+ 1 ofr the Cayanne , RR are so common now there are 4 white ones on my small street :roll: it would be embarrassing to have one IMO ,

My choice at the 15 k mark would be the RRS without a doubt. Have a look at the RRS.CO.UK website , there are good well looked after cars there, but when buying beware there are a lot of tired ones out there not in the hands of someone who has cherished their cars , but there are also some very nice ones too.
The RRS suffers from a few few common problems so do your homework well. If you like to get your hands dirty and do a bit of your own work , even better.
I would recommend a TDV8 model as they are better allround and more reliable.
They are not the fanciest of cars but once you are in , you will love it more than you would a Cayenne ( IMHO).
I looked at both for a long time and in the end choice was a GTS or aTDV8 RRS and I settled on the RRS. I haven't regretted a minute.
Make sure you get a warranty though ....

T

Either car at the £13k price point has the potential to easily create repair bills half the value of the car so ensure you get a comprehensive warranty, and ensure an early Cayenne turbo has had the plastic pipe upgrades; Most problems after that seem to be electrical gremlins.
RR seem to have gearbox and electrical issues.
In the Turbo around the city you'll get 12mpg, on a motorway run possibly 19mpg.
I went for the Cayenne as RR sports are becoming increasingly common amongst the less desirable elements of society, whilst the Cayenne seems to have mainly avoided the negative associations of gangsta wannabe types.
I found the RR sport far from "sporty" and quite agricultural plus the finish quality was not that great, whilst the finish on the Cayenne is superb and the cabin is a pleasant place to be.
Either car has the potential to depreciate a good deal further.

Thanks for all the comments guys and cheers for the heads up on RRS.co.uk. Have been having a good read of some of th threads on there today.

Sounds like they are pretty level pegging so will try both and see which "feels" right.

Cheers

They are totally different. The RR is mot remotely sporty in any sense of the word. The cayenne however is a hoot to drive hard and jawdroppingly capable when you really lean on it. All depends on what you want. If its the RR experience then imo go full fat rather than rrs and just waft around in greater comfort and with more space than any cayenne. For driving pleasure though and going fast its a non contest.

I'm on my third Cayenne so its obvious which way I lean. :oops: The first one was the GTS, I had all but purchased an RRS S/C the previous day but the owner hadn't told his wife he was selling it. Next day I thought I'd try a Cayenne for a giggle and within 5 minutes I was sold, the Cayenne is just a far more capable car.

Unless you're an off-road extremist the Cayenne will do all that most people will ever want to do off-road. Just remember that the car will not do it all for you, you have to have some idea of what you are doing. :thumb:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Well I ended up buying a cheap (£7k) 2002 L322 RR 4.4 V8. Must say that I`m absolutely loving it. Really comfortable and loads of room is a nice plus.

OK it drinks the petrol like you wouldnt believe but car was cheap enough. Will keep this for a year or so then try a Cayenne Turbo.

Thoroughly recommend the Full Fat RR to own at least at some point in your life.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back