Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bluetooth music streaming to your Becker HU

mohitos

Barcelona
Although I've just posted this in my REN 993 blog, I thought it might appeal to a broader audience, so here you are.

This will work for anyone with a Becker HU and a Becker iPod Kit:

I was determined to find a good way of streaming music from my iPhone to Becker Head Unit as plugging it onto the end of the iPod lead in the glovebox is a PITA. Also, I sometimes use my iPhone as Sat Nav and whilst the audible directions are good, it's much better to have the screen visible.

Initially I tried a dockBoss air and nearly aborted as it wouldn't work with the HU on iPod setting. I packaged it up to return to Amazon but it was niggling me so reopened the package and gave it one last go.

Under the Becker Indi Pro's settings (hold down the SOUND button for 2 seconds and scroll to the second set of menus), it's possible to select 'AUX on' which sets the iPod interface to AUX mode.

dockBoss air plays great through this. However, all of the HU's iPod functionality is disabled and the display only shows 'AUX' which is a bit frustrating. A cheap solution though at £26.90:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CableJive-Wireless-Bluetooth-including-SoundDock-Black/dp/B004XMMSZG

Now repackaged and will be returned to Amazon tomorrow !

Enter the Viseeo tune2air WMA1000 which arrived today.

Box empty as dongle is now in the car :oops:

I plugged this little beauty onto the end of the Becker iPod Kit lead.

It's nicely finished and a little bigger than the dockBoss air.

It paired very quickly with a default 0000 pin.

On an iPhone 5S (not sure about others) you can have more than one item connected by bluetooth simultaneously. Here you can see the HU and tune2air connected:

Once paired (takes about 15 - 20 secs to connect) a blue light indicates success. You can then close your glovebox and forget about it. I'd be wary to just leave this connected all the time as even with the ignition off the blue light remains on so it is obviously permanently drawing power. I leave my car on trickle charge so perhaps it doesn't matter :?:

Absolutely all the functionality you'd expect from connecting your iPhone /iPod directly to the lead is replicated by bluetooth. HU shows as it would and all the buttons and controls work.

This was from Spotify:

This was radio streaming via TuneIn Radio:

Sound quality seems fantastic. I sync my music in Spotify on Extreme (320 kbit/s) and I am more than happy with the sound quality via bluetooth. I did not compare back to back so there is a chance it's not quite as good - however I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I bought mine from www.viseeostore.com for £69.99 but have since noticed they are on eBay for a tenner less :sad:

Oh well - my loss...

ETA: This solution should work for any HU with an iPod lead attached. I just can't be sure as haven't tested.

Thanks for that

Cheers :thumb:

I have just ordered one from Amazon @ £59
Something to play with at the weekend.

Mmmmm I've always been happy with my old iPod classic permantly left in the glovebox.....but I'm now into spotify with my sonos system at home so am very tempted to get one, sod it, thanks for posting, you just cost me £60 I did not need to spend :nooo:

Correction: make that £58 on ebay :D

Trouble is I need x4 :nooo:

jonttt said:
but I'm now into spotify with my sonos system at home

Well that's the thing jonttt. With Sonos/Spotify or similar services, the days of traditional iPods are numbered. I have a nano and 160gb classic and can't do a thing with them. I'm loathed to get rid of them but they serve no purpose any more.

As I store some Spotify playlists on my iPhone anyway (to listen to on my daily commute by train), the ability to stream the same music in my car removes a separate task of putting music onto an otherwise obsolete iPod.

Do you really need four? How many cars can you drive at once :?:

You are assuming there are only for 4 cars :hand: I have trouble keeping track of car keys, let alone these things :dont know:

Purchased...

I've found Napster for Sonos to be better than Spotify because they have more 'premade' playlists. Although I don't think they have offline capability like Spotify so useless for taking with you in the car.

mohitos said:
No shortage of pre made playlists here for Spotify:

http://playlists.net/

Perfect, thanks Mohitos!!!

This is just what I thought was missing from Spotify.

I have 6 months free on Spotify as part of my Vodafone account so I'm going to test drive Spotify next to Napster.

Question - So for my becker Cascade pro, I have been using an SD card to play music from, as I only went the way of the iphone about 12 months ago - I therefore didn't connect an iphone cable to my becker when I installed it.

My iphone syncs with the HU via BT for phone - is it possible to play music from the iphone into the HU without buying the cable and using the tuneair..????

Richyd said:
Question - So for my becker Cascade pro, I have been using an SD card to play music from, as I only went the way of the iphone about 12 months ago - I therefore didn't connect an iphone cable to my becker when I installed it.

My iphone syncs with the HU via BT for phone - is it possible to play music from the iphone into the HU without buying the cable and using the tuneair..????

No

The Beckers can only connect via Bluetooth as a handfree phone connection device not as an audio device (well so far as I know :grin: )

One thing to note on this set-which which I discovered last week.

The beauty of streaming music through this device is that all the track information is displayed on your HU.

However, if you are streaming from anything other than iTunes (Spotify, Tunein Radio for example), you MUST have at least one song in iTunes Music on your iPhone for that to work properly. Otherwise the screen remains blank on the HU.

Sounded great until...

mohitos said:
I'd be wary to just leave this connected all the time as even with the ignition off the blue light remains on so it is obviously permanently drawing power. I leave my car on trickle charge so perhaps it doesn't matter :?:

This seems to be the only disappointing 'feature' of this unit. Having to constantly unplug and plug it in means I may as well do that with my iPhone (and also save having Bluetooth on on the handset, thus saving a little battery juice too).

Anyone who doesn't leave their car on trickle charge have any feedback on the topic?

Actually should update on that aswell. It seems to stay on for a while but does switch itself off eventually. I've not timed it, but every time I've returned to the car it's been off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back