Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to know when your 996T is warm enough to use properly

T8

Super Moderator
There's been a few threads lately from newbies (and others) about the :D factor that's available when the revs of a 996T are used in earnest.

As the 996T hasn't got an oil temperature gauge I thought it timely to reissue a tip that I discovered when I first got my car.

After you've started the car.

1. Set your on board computer to 'OIL' as if you are going to read the oil level.

A message will tell you that the engine is not warm enough to take a measurement.

2. Drive for a few miles at under 2500 rpm and, whilst moving, try again.

If the engine still isn't warm you will get the same message.

If the engine is warm the message will change to say that the car has to be stopped before a measurement can be taken.

3. Have fun, safe in the knowledge that your oil is warm enough for you to start using the revs without causing any damage.

NB: I've found that it usually takes around 7 miles for the oil to be warm. ie. about 3 miles more than the water temperature gauge takes to reach 80.

I go one step further and actually make sure that the car is stopped and the oil level checked. That way you know the oil is warm and that there is enough of it.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I go one step further and actually make sure that the car is stopped and the oil level checked. That way you know the oil is warm and that there is enough of it.

:thumb:

4. At a time that suits you, when the oil is warm, stop the car on a level surface and see what level the oil is.

For the record, I check my oil level at the end of every day out so I know that I can just get in and drive it whenever the urge takes me.

Blimey , I check my oil level 2 or 3 times a year :grin:

Luckily, it never uses a drop !

My other car takes about 2 miles to show a temp (50 deg) and around another 2 miles to get to a temp where I feel it's ok to push on (80 deg)

On my 4S I've gotten used to knowing what my oil pressure should be throughout the rev range when fully warm and just wait until it matches.

Excellent post T8! Some very useful info. I think i have been overly-cautious with the warm-up time, but never-the-less this is a much better way to be certain the oil is warm enough before engaging the warp-pedal 8)

Good tip :thumb: tried it out tonight, blinded some poor sod coming the other way, then used the correct lever (can't just be me that's done this a few times now?!! :oops: ) and got the too cold message, then a few mins later got the vehicle must be stopped message. Good idea & excellent indicator as to when you can engage the hyperspace mode!

my syvecs has a limiter applied until it's warm, so won't rev advice about 4k i think, can't remember. It also won't start then engine until oil pressure reaches a certain value. it will cut out if oil pressure drops.

e8_pack said:
my syvecs has a limiter applied until it's warm, so won't rev advice about 4k i think, can't remember. It also won't start then engine until oil pressure reaches a certain value. it will cut out if oil pressure drops.

Thats fine until you are being chased by killer Zombies in a similar car without that feature !!!!

JohnnyDangerous said:
e8_pack said:

Thats fine until you are being chased by killer Zombies in a similar car without that feature !!!!

That happened to me the other morning, actually. Turned out they were just late for their shift at McDonalds.

RWD_cossie_wil said:
Good tip :thumb: tried it out tonight, blinded some poor sod coming the other way, then used the correct lever (can't just be me that's done this a few times now?!! :oops: )

I did exactly the same thing last night! Felt like a right tool :oops:

Thread resurrected as there's lots of new 996T owners around since it was first posted.

I have always religiously used the same engine warming technique for all my cars and this also applies to running in a rebuilt car.
Take it easy until I get to the phone box at the top of our street then give it the beans. :lol:

Sustanon400 said:
Luckily, it never uses a drop !

Wow!

Mine goes from one bar under max to the flashing bar at the bottom every 5k miles. Mind you it does spend most of those 5k miles on boost at over 5krpm :oops:

Its cool though cos I'm happy with 5k mile oil changes to prevent wear and tear!

I want to be the UK equivalent of that guy on Rennlist who's got to 300k miles with no engine work on his turbo. Great engines these!

Mezger engine not using oil. That's a new one on me.
Sustanon do you think maybe your instruments are broke :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back