Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bulkhead drain holes - help needed

Jimboger911

Hi all
After having some wet front carpets, I located the common problem of blocked drain holes in the battery area
So, removed battery plus tray
Problem I have is that whilst trying to free the rubber plug on the passenger side drain hole (yes you've guessed it!), the friggin thing has dropped inside
Also, the long plastic hose that takes the water away (I assume it's the same as the drivers side) seems to have moved out of position as it cannot be seen from looking through the hole!
There is absolutely NO way to get the dropped rubber plug from this area, or to access the plastic pipe that I assume runs vertically to the ground
so can anyone advise how I can get to this from either underneath, or from inside
Many thanks
Jim

when i did mine last week i did not remove battery as i did not think there were drain holes underneath the battery i did see 4 other holes or which two seemed to be blocked and i just pushed through with a chopstick however i did not see any tubes etc attached ....i have the cabrio so the front end is just one problem to resolve the other is the drain trays that feed into drain holes in front of rear wheel..........so i apologise that i can't assist you............

911cab4girl said:
when i did mine last week i did not remove battery as i did not think there were drain holes underneath the battery i did see 4 other holes or which two seemed to be blocked and i just pushed through with a chopstick however i did not see any tubes etc attached ....i have the cabrio so the front end is just one problem to resolve the other is the drain trays that feed into drain holes in front of rear wheel..........so i apologise that i can't assist you............
Hi thanks for the response
The 2 holes I found were a couple of inches either side from the end of the battery tray
I didn't see another 2?
Are there 4?
Anyone?

There were 2 other holes i saw but when i pushed down them there was just a solid bottom with a hollow sound so i was not sure what these were funtionally.

So yes i only found 2 drain holes one on the far left and one on the far right

Selina

I think there are only two. can't imagine there would be a rubber bung in, as it would not act as a drain hole.
If you do a search there is a kit you can buy with along flexible brush that does it admirably.

Hi,
If you look to the right side of the screen you will see "search forum", click on that and you can punch in certain words and posts will come up. Its very handy. If you put in drain holes as a search you should find your answers. Welcome aboard!!!

Hi
Thanks for the link, very useful, but I am still a little confused
HOW MANY DRAIN HOLES IN TOTAL as the pictures with the balloons are confusing me, from what I can see it is -

1 from sunroof to under rear arch
1 from sunroof to door
2 under the bonnet or 4? - and where do they drain to?

Ok I have found a pipe that is just to the rear left of the front under tray
I have poured water into the left hand drain hole (as you look at the windscreen from outside and hey presto it comes out underneath
However where does the drain hole at the other side of the battery drain to?
I can't find the other pipe underneath the car !
Is there one?
OR
Does this pipe join the left hand one under the bulkhead somewhere?
I can't pour water down it as it has been dislodged
Hope this makes sense and hope someone can help

For the Coupe:
A. Front of Sunroof to inside the base of the A-Pillar.
B. Rear of Sunroof to behind rear of the rear wheel arch liner.

5. The one under the battery is also the heating/AC condensation/expansion. It exits behind the rear of the front undertray as you found. Leaving the car on a warm day after the AC has been on to find 'fluids' underneath is always a sphincter moment the first time it happens. :eek:
5, 6 and 7 on the first diagram are universal for Coupe and Cab. 7 drains to the front wheel arch, or the footwell inside the car. :sad:
Not sure about 6, but I believe this is to the undertray too.

Not sure how you can replace the dislodged drain other than battery out and a full frontal :)thumbs:) strip down. Otherwise, do the neighbours kids have really small hands?

Hope that helps a little. :D

Thanks a lot, but it's the diagrams that are confusing me
Where can I find 5,6,7 in my car?
What is A and B
Sorry feel like a bit of a twat, but I'm just not following this
I understand the sunroof ones, but can't understand the front ones (I.e. How many drain holes, where do they drain FROM AND TO.
Cheers

Okay, this one might be easier as it's one diagram for the 996 Coupe:

1 - Water drainage: sliding roof, rear
2 - Water drainage: sliding roof, front
3 - Water drainage: tank tray
4 - Water drainage: evaporator of heating and air-conditioning system
5 - Water drainage: radiator tank

205130d1184126709-helpful-tip-clean-your-front-drainage-holes-pet-drains-coupe.jpg

Courtesy of this thread: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...pful-tip-clean-your-front-drainage-holes.html.

And a descriptive from that thread:

Ok...open up your front hood.
Next to the battery compartments, on both left and right sides there are plastic covers just like the one for the battery compartment.
Under those plastic covers are where the left and right "wells" are.
There is a drainage with a rubber flap on each well, kinda similar to your kitchen sink garbage disposal hole.
Stick your finger in them to check if they are clogged.

Oh...then smell your finger....

:floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back