Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Leather Seats: Cleaning and Maintaining.

michelin

My seats are looking a little 'shiny' of late indicating dirt.
I like the matt finish given when the car is new so I've done some research and come across 'Lexol' orange, it's a cleaner.
Given our leather has a form of clearcoat over it what are peeps opinions on following up with a conditioner?
I've read in many places that they only attract more dirt?????
:thumb:

Based on my use over past few months, I think cleaning properly is by far the most important thing to do and I don't think these modern leathers need conditioning as such and if too much conditioner is applied it would attract dirt. However, I've found that a sparing application of a good quality balm/conditioner leaves a natural, great smelling finish on the leather. It doesn't last for that long, I'm cleaning and conditioning about once a month, but very happy with how it looks and smells, not just on the seats but on the dash and doors too.

Are you using Lexol?

Have you tries Flash spray (not bleach one)Seriously Peter do a tear patch but you may find it's the biz.

Flash!!!!!! :eek:
Hmmmmmmm :thumb:

No, haven't come across Lexol. Some say all these dyed leathers need is to be cleaned with an all purpose cleaner (such as non-bleach Flash) and they're probably right, but I went for Auto finesse cleanser and Raceglaze balm.

michelin said:
Flash!!!!!! :eek:
Hmmmmmmm :thumb:

No, that should be "Flash ... aah aaaaarrr ... "

Lexol kit has arrived.
When I finally get around to doing some of the leather I'll post back.
I think I will tackle the rear seats, the part were you sit, as I can take these inside and do some shots!

Chris W said:
Have you tries Flash spray (not bleach one)Seriously Peter do a tear patch but you may find it's the biz.

I use Flash APC (yes the stuff you mop the kitchen floor with) watered down 50:50 with a cloth or soft brush, and then a "rinse" off with a damp cloth to clean leather.

When leather looks "shiny" it is dirty (the shine is oil from skin, clothes etc).

No need for expensive "conditioners" unless you want that "new leather" smell.

If you cant bear to use Flash then try Zaino if you wnat something 'designed' for leather care. I did and its the best I ever found. I also read/see various products from LTT which detailers use and appears good.

Wasz.... I don't get on well with Flash Spray and SHine when detailing the kitchen floor, it seems to stay a bit slippy. Tesco Direct to Floor is very good, much as I hate to say. Anything but Daisy from Aldi :pc:

I recommend Zymol leather cleaner , then the conditioner , it's the best I've come across........I use on the leather parts in my cars ( admittedly my last GT3, didn't need it on the Nomex fabric!!;-))

Terry

Chris W said:
Wasz.... I don't get on well with Flash Spray and SHine when detailing the kitchen floor, it seems to stay a bit slippy. Tesco Direct to Floor is very good, much as I hate to say. Anything but Daisy from Aldi :pc:

Have you tried Zymol on the kitchen floor? Works a treat, really lifts the grime from the grout. :floor:

I completed the rear seats at the weekend.
For the price of the kit, £20, I feel it is good value.
The cleaner is excellent. It foams well enabling through agitation to rid the leather of dirt etc.
One thing I did use was a soft detailing brush with the cleaner, this enabled me to get into all the seams etc.
Point of caution, make sure you hoover the seats first in case there are any rough particles trapped. You do not want these rubbing against the leather and possibly scratching it!
The conditioner is equally as good. It goes on well, soaks in nicely and gives a beautiful matt finish.
The kit retails at £20 and it works out far cheaper this way. The cleaner on it's own is around £13!
Any questions feel free to pm.

Hi Peter good to hear the Lexol works well.

We need 50/50 or before and after pics please! :thumb:

Hi Chris
I will do before and after on the drivers seat.
How's tricks?
p.s. I have the car a wash at the weekend, used some QD on the wheels, and the next day I has to wear sunglasses to look at them!
Superb!
Next up is some C4 on the calipers! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hobie1
Back