Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help with swapping plates.

Gav171073

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi there,

I need some advice about swapping a personal plate between a couple of cars. I've never done it before, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a personal plate on my wifes car (DE51RDE on a Toyota Avensis). I need to swap it onto a Mini Cooper S (58 plate) that I bought her last year, before we sell the Avensis.

I'm sure I need a suite of DVLA forms....anyone done this before?

Cheers.....Gav

It's dead easy, you can download the forms from DVLA.

They will NOT do it over the counter in your local branch. You can take the paperwork in and they will process it but you will only receive the docs in the post.

Common mistakes are not taking the correct documents. A lot of people take their Insurance schedule rather than certificate. It is funny to see them losing their temper with the staff because they haven't bothered to read it properly!

My wife used to work in the Maidstone office which is why I have a little more insight.

Right docs are the key and for BOTH vehicles. Personally, I would just do it by post these days as they are all done at Swansea now, plus it will save you the "tak a number" experience :D

Blobsta said:
It's dead easy, you can download the forms from DVLA.

They will NOT do it over the counter in your local branch. You can take the paperwork in and they will process it but you will only receive the docs in the post.

My local office was empty when I went there 5 months ago, probably
because they no longer do 'over counter service' anymore. They are
planning to close some of the offices as well.

Straight forward job to change the plates, they will send you the original
reg for the avensis and change the mini to your personal reg.

See here ==> https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/transferring-a-registration-number

When I last swapped my plate over (May last year) I used the local office and was surprised to find that it had become a document check only. They made sure I'd supplied the right documents and had filled the form in correctly. They took my money and a few days later everything arrived in the post. In the old days it was all done and dusted in about an hour whilst you waited.

Most (all :dont know: ) the local offices have now closed and you have to do it on-line or by post.

I have always got new plates made first (by one of those companies in Ireland to cut out the BS/document stuff).

Then I take all the paperwork into the nearest DVLA office, in my case Oxford but I think it's just closed.

Over the counter, stamp, print, MOT and Disc in new reg number.

Go home and screw plates on.
:)

clarkycat said:
Then I take all the paperwork into the nearest DVLA office, in my case Oxford but I think it's just closed.

Over the counter, stamp, print, MOT and Disc in new reg number.

Go home and screw plates on.

Have you done this in the last year or so :?:

If not, you'll probably have a shock next time. See my post above.

Thanks all! And just out of interest, what number will go on the Avensis? Its old (i.e. original) registration?

Gav171073 said:
..... what number will go on the Avensis? Its old (i.e. original) registration?

Yes.

Fairly straight forward, I swapped reg on two cars I own last month, having first gone down to the Borehamwood DVLA office to find that it had been closed, my understanding is that as of the 1/1/14 all DVLA office have now been closed. The link below (should) take you directly to DVLA Form V317, print and fill in, reasonable self explanatory. Send off with Log books, MOT certificate and Insurance for both cars – they insist on originals so I photocopied it all first, don't send the Tax discs keep them on the vehicles. I had the Log books returned within a week with the new details and about a week later all my paper work was returned, two new Tax discs to replace the originals which you have to destroy and a form allowing me to purchase new plates, didn't need that as I had kept the original from the vehicle I was transferring my PP off.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/209585/V317_140313.pdf

Thanks all, just printed it off. Inevitably the MOT on the Avensis is about to run out so will get that done then post it all off.

Tax disks....soon to be a thing of the past! I'm going to save all mine though.

DE51RDE

All worked in the end but the documents came back slowly. New V5C first, then about 3 weeks later the retention certificate, tax disk and other bits and pieces.

So Desired/Deird is on paper until we can work out what to do with it!

Gav

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back