Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wanted M96 3.6 Engine.

kevin52

Hi can anyone help I am looking for a engine for my 2002 911 3.6 ? Also a inlet camshaft cylinders 4 5 6 for the same many thanks.

It doesn't sound like good news, but nevertheless....

:welcome:

What's happened?

Try Prestige Salvage in Leeds.

Thanks to all who replied I only recently purchaced the car which had a light tapping sound from what I thought was a hydraulic lifter. So I removed the engine and checked the lifters found no faults so removed the head on the side the noise was coming from to discovered bores 4 and 6 were scored on the top side and there was a reasonable amount of play on the pistons hence the tapping sound. So I decided to put the motor back together for now so refitted the head and whilst going to fit the camshafts the inlet cam was accidently dropped whereupon it snapped right across the center bearing. So waying up the costs of rebuilding my engine and the price of parts and labour, I thought it would be easier to get a second hand motor ready to go that I could just refit. Sorry for the long story but couldnt make it any shorter I have phoned a few places but so far no joy or given prices nearly the same as what I payed for the car in the first place making it a non viable repair so any advice would be appreciated.

motor

You could get a motor and a few months later, end up with the same problem and then be circa 7k lighter in your pocket.
I think you're skating on very thin ice with that solution. (IMHO)

If cost is the issue (and it is to most people), but you are prepared to do some of the work yourself, you could strip it and get somebody (eg Hartech) to put some Nikasil liners in. I am sure you can discuss with them how much work you want them to do to suit your budget.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide :thumb:

The more information we get on this forum the more chance there is of helping. I did wonder why you needed a cam and engine. There are usually a few cams listed on ebay but timing it back up after can be a science.

I was in a similar situation but my timing chain had snapped. It took the valves etc as you would expect.
The decisions were to self build or get it done, there are plenty of people that say "it's not possible to rebuild yourself" so I thought I'd give it a go, it made me more determined and it wasn't too hard actually.
Having scored bores is a mile away from a snapped timing chain though as I just had to fit various new parts the best you could do is get a used crankcase half, the cost comes when you need to get work done by another party. I would recommend stripping the engine (if you are that way inclined) and sending the crankcase to get it fettled with by Hartech, they will future proof it, spending £4K on a used engine could put you back where you are now depending on luck.
Park the car, buy another car to use for a couple of months (if you don't already have one) as it'll be cheaper to do than buying another engine and get it stripped ready for rebuild.

There are plenty of people on here that can help you through the process.

Thanks for replies cost is definetly an issue im debating whether to just cut my losses and sell the car I have advertised it else where but im trying my best to find a way to keep hold of it and get it on the road needless to say ill be gutted if it sells.

If you are thinking of selling you could advertise on here as well. Have you considered the possibility if fitting a V8?

MC

Try Simon at porschapart.He can do rebuilds to these engines at very reasonable cost and is easy to deal with.

I had thought of going the V8 route but have been told it devalues the car but at the moment its no good as it is.If anyone has any info on the conversions or has done one id like to hear from you cheers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back