Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VIP Exel Wheels Cayenne Wheel Refurb write up - PICS

Chris W

Hi All

I don't usually post in the Cayenne forum but we look after lots of Cayenne's with regards to wheels and tyres so thought I'd do a bit of a write up. Not least as this involves 911uk's very finest :)

This job started as a tyre enquiry, could I source Michelin Diamaris N rated? Of course! At this time of year with this never ending rain its been catching many out. So, 4 big new Cayenne 20" tyres to sort.

Then on to the wheels themselves. I was advised they were in need of some serious TLC.

We booked the job in for the full wheel refurb service with loan wheels. For those unaware we provide a full service involving travel to your home or work, change over wheel/wheels to our loan wheels to keep you on the road to use as you need while your wheels are taken away to be transformed.

As its winter time we elected to use our Winter Loan Wheels & Tyres. These are Mud & Snow rated and quite usually 18" wheels for the Cayenne. The big advantage is that its a good opportunity to try out what yoru car drives like on different wheels and/or tyres. It can be a big decider, and effectively free.

Sundeep needed to re-arrange his diary and it turned out we needed to change days at short notice. No problem, generally we can accommodate this type of request as part of our service.

On arrival Sundeep's wife provided the keys and left me to get on. The weather miserable!

First VITAL job? Turn off the air suspension system. This involves a sequence which on earlier Cayenne's comes up with 'Regulation OFF' on the dash. Later models they have revised the terminology! This is paramount as the air suspension can be seriously damaged by lifting any wheel beyond its full extension, effectively overcooking the pumps.

Next job, inspect and photograph all wheels. On this design kerbing isn't easily sorted as the ends of the spokes are an intricate design. These were pretty bad. Also the wheel bolts were very rusted.

Next important job, remove rear arch sill inserts to allow jack to lift avoiding damage to sills. These just slide out without any need for tools. Not on all models mind.

And then on with changing over all wheels to these not so attractive Winter Wheels.

A few more shots showing the damage. And here a closer inspection of tyre treads, clearly new ones are needed to replace the old Continentals. Tyres were ready to go so a comparison shot too.

The refurb process involves all wheels being stripped of coatings, most damage is usually lightly sanded out at this stage as it will have been mainly paint damage but more extensive damage requires the area to welded and re-shaped. Finally they are bead blasted to provide a key for the paint, washed and dried. The base layer is powdercoat, the next layer is wet sprayed colour (silver) followed by an optically clear glass like acrylic powdercoat lacquer, including the insides too. During the process the hub faces are protected to keep them clear of any paint to ensure a perfect fit afterwards.

After around 3 days we are all sorted and ready to refit. But before this some TPMS needed to be fitted which was sent to me by post. This is similar to the Porsche kit but not integrated into the car itself.

As we had a little spare time before agreed refit date I applied some wax to all the rims for added road grime protection and ease of cleaning. This is not essential but anything will help reduce cleaning and prolong the finish without resorting to harsher products. Shampoo and water with a lambswool mitt is all that is required! Here I have also dressed the tyres prior to fitting allowing the product to go off. This a non-sling product so its doesn't spray up your car when you drive off.

The centre caps were left as they were just cleaned up so you can see the paint match is spot on. But one final essential job....spray the wheel bolts to prevent them rusting up again so readily. This is done off and away from the car.

And here we have them all sorted and back on the car this morning. Only downside again is that I didn't get a long awaited catch up with Sundeep as he was at work.

Thanks for reading and thanks to Sundeep and his wife for making it all work smoothly.

Chris, an excellent post. I am looking forward to having mine done - and they are nothing like as damaged as those Cayenne ones. In fct mine externally are perfect (never kerbed) but have some corrosion on the inner surface on the front ones. Hence the decision to do all 4 at one go.

Top job, your work and attention to detail really is a cut above!

Pity I'm so far away, well at least I have the 'all four wheels re/finished for £100' as compensation!

:frustrated:

ScottUK

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back