Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - A few weekend jobs...

deutschland-dobson

Been busy over the last couple of weekends, sorting winter jobs on the 964.

First up was to sort the hunting idle that has appeared while the car has been off the road during winter. The idle drops have resulted in second gear stalls and a flat power curve.

First up easy job is to replace the DME fuse. Next up was to clean the ISV.

Following the link below I stripped, cleaned and re-fitted. Engine sound deadening pad was tidied up too.

Idle was better but not great. Next drop was to pull it back out and strip, clean and re-fit the AFM!

Rennlist link:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...7997-how-to-clean-isv-and-air-flow-meter.html

It's still not perfect, but I'll give it a good run before trying some other ideas, including ordering the famous Steve Wong Chip. More power and a steady idle!

Next up was to replace my knackered engine mounts. The price of new 964 mounts from porsche is a fortune, so I considered RS mounts, 964 mounts or aftermarket.

WEVO mounts from the USA won in the end. I went with wevo "blacks" to keep vibration to a minimum:

Under tray had to be removed first for access. This was cleaned before being refitted.

Old mounts were knackered!

Wevos installed:

Next job was to fit new bonnet shockers / struts, as these failed last weekend and the bonnet twatted me on the head! Right pain in the arse this job! Far too fiddly to get access to fit them. Didn't take any photos, as too busy swearing at the car. The rennlist how-to's don't even help much for this job!

Few more small jobs...

The black reR wipe bung I had fitted didn't look neat enough. I'm going to fit an RS rear screen when time / cash allows. In the mean-time I've tried a few universal clear ones. A one from Venom Motorsport was bought, then sent back. In the end an eBay item ordered. Here's it dry fitted, before I took the protective film off.

More jobs:

I've got a battery drain, so as a temporary fix I removed the bulbs from bonnet, glovebox and engine compartment.

I re-dyed my front seats at the end of last year. There was a couple of imperfections, so I smoothed them out with some 3000 grit paper.

Last job was a well deserved pie and beer!

Chris, you've been busy. Sorry you twatted your noodle but I'm sure the pie, beer and carrot cake made it all better :grin:

Next job was to fit new bonnet shockers / struts, as these failed last weekend and the bonnet twatted me on the head! Right pain in the arse this job!

I thought it hit you on the head :grin:

Nice going Chris!

Cheers,
Paul

Looking great Chris, keep up the good work!

Ian

Chris,

Regarding your hunting and stalling, an SW chip is not really the way to go to sort it out because you don't have a light weight flywheel. Seeing as you've done the usual cleaning things to try and sort it and they've not worked, I would try looking for leaks on the intake i.e. check all the hose clamps. Failing that get a Hammer adaption done on it.

Boxsey said:
Chris,

Regarding your hunting and stalling, an SW chip is not really the way to go to sort it out because you don't have a light weight flywheel. Seeing as you've done the usual cleaning things to try and sort it and they've not worked, I would try looking for leaks on the intake i.e. check all the hose clamps. Failing that get a Hammer adaption done on it.

Thanks Steve,

I'll start by tightening all the hose clamps and go from there. Not sure who has a hammer in the North East, but i'll ask...

The hunting was there before I took the car off the road for winter, but then developed the 2nd gear stalls over 2 months or so. Not sure why that would be (colder weather?). Hopefully the cleaning has improved the issue, the short run out that I had certainly showed that.

Chris

Just checking through old threads and noticed that Zingers commented about checking whether the Lamda/O2 sensor on the Cat has been installed corectly.

Mine had a de-cat fitted not long ago and TBH the car has felt a bit flat ever since. Is this worth a check? Do they just screw into place?

Chris

Edit to say I'm going to buy a new Bosch lambda sensor and fit ASAP following this thread:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/964-1989-1994-911/208133-diy-oxygen-sensor-replacement.html

Bargain, new full lambda kit for £58 delivered at Mister -Auto :thumb:

Chris

Yep got mine from there :thumb:

my experience with the knackered Lambda was after I had started to drive and the engine had warmed up. Engine was bucking and wouldn't hold an idle or do much else. IIRC lambda only takes effect with a warm engine.

It might/might not resolve the problem. Check also whether you have the idle adaptation applied as Boxsey mentions. Mine had it done a few years back by OPC with a previous owner as it wouldn't idle without stalling. I think the Tore-B device allows you to do this.

Unlikely but it would cost nowt to check your dizzy caps and rotor arms mate, if you get a dodgy cap on a 964 it causes no end of problems, as I said its unlikely to be the cause of hunting and stalling but check just the same, lambder plug awkward to get to but a lambder change isn't to difficult, it's only a nightmare if your trying to get the lambder out of a standard cat after 20 years!

Ian

igaffz said:
it's only a nightmare if your trying to get the lambder out of a standard cat after 20 years!
Ian

How very true :pc:

igaffz said:
Unlikely but it would cost nowt to check your dizzy caps and rotor arms mate, if you get a dodgy cap on a 964 it causes no end of problems, as I said its unlikely to be the cause of hunting and stalling but check just the same, lambder plug awkward to get to but a lambder change isn't to difficult, it's only a nightmare if your trying to get the lambder out of a standard cat after 20 years!

Ian

Cheers bud :)

Luckily the lads at D&G removed the lambder from the standard cat and fitted it to the de-cat (with heat needed!), so it should be easy enough to screw back out now.

The Rennlist guide doesnt look too bad for getting access to the plug, so I'll give it a wirl.

One quick question (because im at the desk and not under the car) will I have to remove the rear undertray again or will removing the rear NS wheel gain access to the lambda?

Chris

You don't have to remove the tray. Access to the lambda is ok with just the wheel off. Before you do anything, I would check that they have actually plugged the lambda back in. It's not unknown for people to forget this!

Zingari said:
igaffz said:
it's only a nightmare if your trying to get the lambder out of a standard cat after 20 years!
Ian

How very true :pc:

My car was in for a service last week and the sensor was found to be loose :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back