Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Failed MOT Costs headlight and rear inner CV boot

leerandle

I recently took my car for its MOT at the Porsche Dealer in Newcastle. It failed on 2 things, one headlight is aiming high (£70 to fix) and rear inner CV boot split (£290 to fix). I was obviously a little bit taken back with their prices so phoned Brian Woodward of Bristol who has worked on my car previously and he quoted me a third of the price. I dont even see how the headlights can change their aim if they have not been touched since passing the last MOT. I can smell a rat, but until I check them myself I will have to fix and get it reMOT'd. Not sure if others have had the same extortionate price for 'simple' problems.

You have done the right thing in getting a second opinion. Hope you get it sorted at a reasonable price.

cv boot.
jack it up take off drve shaft fit a new boot, bolt the drve shaft back on. cost cv boot bubber
headlight aim, err, adjust with a screw driver.
cost.
err
nil.

total.
prbably under £20

failed mot

:eek: That would be the dreaded Porsche tax prices :nooo:

Rear Inner CV Boots

Out of interest, are the rear inner CV boots a MOT failure ? Ive heard conflicting info and it seems to depend if they form part of the suspension.

Please advise.

Thanks for help so far.

Can i ask what possesed you to take it for an mot at the msin dealers :eek: and no offence but why are you surprised at the quotes there was only ever going to be one outcome on this adventure.

Can i ask what possesed you to take it for an mot at the msin dealers :eek: and no offence but why are you surprised at the quotes there was only ever going to be one outcome on this adventure.

CV boots as far as I am aware are always an MOT failure. They are there to stop the cv joint picking up debris/road dust which would very quickly turn into grinding paste and destroy the cv joint.

Mot Failure

I will speak to the independent porsche dealer tomorrow and get them to quote me for the work.

As regards why I went to the Porsche Dealer, just because it was close and I was short on time to take it anywhere else.

The people there are really nice (especially Sara and Caroline the Service girls).

If I can get the work done Friday, then I can take it back and get retest for MOT.

Thanks for the help.

Anything that involves a decision made from the waist down is going to be expensive :lol:

gary.donald said:
Anything that involves a decision made from the waist down is going to be expensive :lol:
:floor: :floor:

they are there to divert attention away from the bill :D

MOT Failure

Just a quick update.

Car booked into the D&G Motor Engineering for Friday morning to adjust the headlamp, check and replace the split CV boot. Third of the price asked for by Porsche dealer. Ive also asked them to fit a magnetic sump plug.

I can then take it back for the retest (as its within 10 days of original MOT failure)

Thanks for the advice, you've saved me a small fortune.

Also, purchased a solar panel trickle charger for the winter months when car is sat in the garage, hopefully get it hooked up this weekend.

Regards,

Lee

PS Service ladies were only spotted after I had already booked car in for service...........honest !!

failed mot

Lee
where did you get the solar panel trickle charger from please ?

I recall many years ago I took my 911T for an MOT and the tester wore a 'white lab' coat :eek: Needless to say it failed because some of the red film had wore off the rear stop lights and white light was showing to the rear.

A quick root in my Airfix paint box, a small brush and some Humbrol red paint did the trick :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back