Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Still bargains out there?

spongebob squarepants

Plan B sometime this year if things don't go too mad with air cooled prices?

European Tourer - now ideally a 993 or 964 however too expensive, hate cabs but a targa?? Yummy look at this beaut prefer a left hooker but if I had a spare 10 k I'd be knocking at this fellas door :?:

1985 (1985)
For sale Privately, in Cumbria, United Kingdom
£10,995

Well it looks good from far. :grin: hope you don't like surprises.

Rialas said:

ask me how much of a bargain it realy was after a engine/gearbox rebuild.... :?:

I've looked at getting one of these but IMHO they don't represent a 'good' investment.

You can pick them up for a good price, unless they are special edition/turbo etc they do not command high prices and you can easily put more money into them than you would actually get out of it :dont know:

964 are commanding crazy prices, probably because you have some 'modern' technical advances that carry over to the modern driving era - PAS,ABS etc yet maintaining a traditional look.

If you want a 911 they represent the point of entry IF you know what you're buying. Easy to lose your shirt :nooo: I'm tempted to take a look at an 80s coupe that has been under an oilskin for years but unless I get it for peanuts can see myself putting £10k+ into it to get it decent :roll:

Rossi911 said:
Rialas said:

ask me how much of a bargain it realy was after a engine/gearbox rebuild.... :?:
Nowhere near as much as the house I hope :coat:

I'd mention the engine and gearbox rebuild and who did the work. No doubt there's little profit there if you've thrown a lot of money on the car but that doesn't stop us from enjoying our hobbies.

glwts

Rossi911 said:

Here's my 3.2, it had a full engine and gearbox rebuild and new clutch. I paid £11.5k.
:thumb:

500rsz_dsc02859.jpg

DSC03117.jpg
[/URL]

Rialas said:

Bang on, what I thought was cosmetic went way deeper, shopped around and the quote for bodywork from a proper vintage Porsche coachworks was over £16k. I rapidly (and honestly) sold it on at a loss as the worst automotive purchase I have ever made.

But it did have me hooked drive-wise, so my Porsche story did not end there and I bought my 993 for pretty much the SAME money I'd have had to spent ON the 3.2.

If you offered me my old 3.2 today for free, but I needed to pay for that level of bodywork AND anything mechanical, I'd turn it down, as it's simply not worth it time or moneywise.
:nooo:

From the ad :eek:

"a small [50p size] area on the bottom of the n/side front wing & the nearside sill/shut panel to rear wing leading edge. To be critical, there is some extremely minor micro blistering where the rear screen meets the body – hardly noticeable. There has also been some repair work done to the shut panel/sill to bottom of rear wings which is showing some sign of needing work in the future. This is the kidney bowl area - not a structural issue merely cosmetic."

This is probably worse than I'd have described mine pre bodywork quote. Look up kidney bowls, by the time you can see it on the outside it's munched it's way through the B pillar, inner sill, outer sill and rear wing. £1500 a side can be reached easily for this work no matter how cosmetic you want to call it and that's just chopping and repairing the bottom of the wing. Wings are £700-£1000 each if you need one.

To be fair the seller states bodywork issues up front. I'm pretty sure I could take this car to a place that would then show me more bodywork issues and I am sure it would need the purchase price spent again to make it right.

to be fair again, many do need this. THATS why there are some £25-£30k sorted examples out there!
:D

clarkycat said:
From the ad :eek:

"a small [50p size] area on the bottom of the n/side front wing & the nearside sill/shut panel to rear wing leading edge. To be critical, there is some extremely minor micro blistering where the rear screen meets the body – hardly noticeable. There has also been some repair work done to the shut panel/sill to bottom of rear wings which is showing some sign of needing work in the future. This is the kidney bowl area - not a structural issue merely cosmetic."

This is probably worse than I'd have described mine pre bodywork quote. Look up kidney bowls, by the time you can see it on the outside it's munched it's way through the B pillar, inner sill, outer sill and rear wing. £1500 a side can be reached easily for this work no matter how cosmetic you want to call it and that's just chopping and repairing the bottom of the wing. Wings are £700-£1000 each if you need one.

To be fair the seller states bodywork issues up front. I'm pretty sure I could take this car to a place that would then show me more bodywork issues and I am sure it would need the purchase price spent again to make it right.

to be fair again, many do need this. THATS why there are some £25-£30k sorted examples out there!
:D

Lol that's the point though? It's worth the money. It's for a keeper long term and could be done over time :D the cheapest ones were going for 6k 12 months ago so in line with other air cooled there on the up ...
My main reason to buy a 997 gen 2 was lack of the rust bug.

You can get a 964 targa for £12k and more cost effective to put money into this than a 3.2.

As Clarky points out my own caution buying one. I'd literally have to have the car for free to justify the expense. Or Its worth more breaking it for parts than doing restoration.

I'd happily put £20k into a 70s coupe, if I got it at the right price but not a 3.2

clarkycat said:
If you offered me my old 3.2 today for free, but I needed to pay for that level of bodywork AND anything mechanical, I'd turn it down, as it's simply not worth it time or moneywise.
:nooo:

Zingari said:
I'd literally have to have the car for free to justify the expense.

spongebob squarepants said:
Lol that's the point though? It's worth the money. It's for a keeper long term and could be done over time :D

You could chase the rot around the car for a period of time sure, with a bit of paint on each area you tackle. Or you could just enjoy it and drive it as it rusts* (the guy that bought mine is doing this) but I HONESTLY, if I wanted to get it sorted, would not have one if it was for free.

If I sold my 993 for £18k it would simply not be enough money to get a 3.2 or SC to the same standard.
:(

*100% best plan, sounds mad, but treat it as a banger and enjoy IMHO.

:dont know: ^ It aint exactly cheap nor a good colour combo. Plus its a Tip that most sandal wearers refuse to take on :roll:

As always go in eyes wide open, and hold some cash back for a big bill or two.

Zingari said:
:dont know: ^ It aint exactly cheap nor a good colour combo. Plus its a Tip that most sandal wearers refuse to take on :roll:

20 k that's a bargain :dont know: ( I'll smuggle him into the uk) white with grey ? And manuals are very overrated :thumbs:

spongebob squarepants said:
Zingari said:

20 k that's a bargain :dont know: ( I'll smuggle him into the uk) white with grey ? And manuals are very overrated :thumbs:

Depends where its coming from. US & Far East you may as awell assume 'No history' as a start point. Euorpe purchase far better but then that will cost for LHD

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back