Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes come on by themselves!

Benjy911

I have a Carrera 4S Cabrio with the PDK box bought new in April 2013.

If I drive for around 10 miles, stop, turn off, either engage the parking brake or not and then drive on, a few miles later the brakes will come on by themselves, including the brake lights. If I pump the pedal they go off but back on again shortly after. This will continue until I park it and leave it to cool down.

It will also do it if I don't stop but it takes longer for it to happen.

The Porsche center it came from have had it back twice, changed the stop light switch but it is still happening. It's back there again now.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

:sad:

JC that's a big issue that needs porsche GB to get involved ASAP.

In a wet/damp corner if the brakes come on when your mid way through the corner you could get spat off the road.

Unsafe for you and other road users.

Something is seriously wrong get it in and tell them you want a detailed explaination and safety report before it comes back.

wizard993 said:
JC that's a big issue that needs porsche GB to get involved ASAP.

In a wet/damp corner if the brakes come on when your mid way through the corner you could get spat off the road.

Unsafe for you and other road users.

Something is seriously wrong get it in and tell them you want a detailed explaination and safety report before it comes back.

+1
It's one of most dangerous issue on a car I've heard off.

Leave it with them and as above ask for a full explanation and safety report. In a case it will happened again and you do crash they might believe you that there was a problem with brakes, otherwise they will say it was your fault.

Sounds to me like the handbrake is being activated. When in motion the car performs an emergency stop. When you have come to a stop is the handbrake light on? Might be worth mentioning to them.

Stupid question, but your not sitting too close and pressing your knee on it?

If not I would personally leave it with the OPC and demand that they give you a courtesy car until the problem has been identified and resolved. Not that the issue has just 'gone away'

Dangerous Issue!

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, it is at the Porsche dealer at the moment.

I can also provide an even worse situation!

A couple of years ago, I bought a Carver One, a three wheeled vehicle which tilts on corners. Just as few days after I had been going down the motorway at 70 (ish) I was going across Ashdown Forest when a pivot bar connected to the rear steering broke and it went totally out of control, falling on its side and crashing into a grass bank.

Luckily I was OK and it is now subject to legal action between my Insurance company and the dealer who sold it.

Perhaps I should stick to the bus! :judge:

Re: Dangerous Issue!

Benjy911 said:
Thank you for your replies.

Yes, it is at the Porsche dealer at the moment.

I can also provide an even worse situation!

A couple of years ago, I bought a Carver One, a three wheeled vehicle which tilts on corners. Just as few days after I had been going down the motorway at 70 (ish) I was going across Ashdown Forest when a pivot bar connected to the rear steering broke and it went totally out of control, falling on its side and crashing into a grass bank.

Luckily I was OK and it is now subject to legal action between my Insurance company and the dealer who sold it.

Perhaps I should stick to the bus! :judge:

Or your a jinx :wink: :wink:

Hope you get your car back soon and that issue never ever surfaces again. Just make sure they don't try to fob you off with a "reset" as you need to know what is causing it(in writing) and specifically, what they have done to completely rectify the issue.......again in writing,

If in any doubt, just leave it in the OPC until you have spoken with Porsche GB and between them they remove all doubt from your mind.

I had the brakes on my 996T start applying themselves, and eventually locked on. Car transported to OPC, and had to have a failed ABS unit replaced. Not under warranty, so costly, but dread to think what would have happened if not in a 30 limit, and on a motorway instead.

Problem solved!

Have just phoned the OPC. It seems that a tech bulletin has come through in the last few days.

If you have the heating on full blast so it gets warm and cosy the bushes on the bar where the pedals are expand and grip the bar so that when you press the brake pedal it does not fully return. This leaves the brakes on, slightly, and also the brake lights. If they stay on for too long, the fluid becomes warmer, expands and then you really would be stuck! What a simple solution.

No recall at the moment, just going to wait for people to complain!

At least it's better built than my first 911 which I bought from Charles Ivey in 1978. I took it to the car wash in Newhaven and it steamed up so I put the blower on to clear the screen. There was an almighty gurgle and the contents of the carwash landed on my feet! Amazingly the car is still on the road and was for sale recently. :grin:

Re: Problem solved!

Benjy911 said:
Have just phoned the OPC. It seems that a tech bulletin has come through in the last few days.

If you have the heating on full blast so it gets warm and cosy the bushes on the bar where the pedals are expand and grip the bar so that when you press the brake pedal it does not fully return. This leaves the brakes on, slightly, and also the brake lights. If they stay on for too long, the fluid becomes warmer, expands and then you really would be stuck! What a simple solution.

At least it's better built than my first 911 which I bought from Charles Ivey in 1978. I took it to the car wash in Newhaven and it steamed up so I put the blower on to clear the screen. There was an almighty gurgle and the contents of the carwash landed on my feet! Amazingly the car is still on the road and was for sale recently. :grin:

Looks like they are putting their heads in the sand over this. Why on gods earth would this not be a recall?....or are they waiting until someone gets hurt before doing anything about this.

In hot climates this could be a bigger issue and clearly your not the first to experience this.

If it was my car I'd be leaving it with them until Porsche put a re-work in place that rectifies this issue.

Its the friction on the pads and discs that heats up the fluid! Wheel bearings will also be getting fried!......nothing about this is good news for you or your car.

You approach a corner fast on a hot day/with a hot cabin and brake hard to shed the speed and enter the corner. Suddenly the brakes start trailing.......
bloody hell that's not good.

They are presumably fitting new pads and discs all round to compensate for the continuous (mis)use?

If there not prepared to fit bushes with a touch more tolerance,i doubt that they will fit new pads and discs.

Just another Porsche penny pinch..

Disgusting..

Re: Problem solved!

wizard993 said:
Benjy911 said:

Looks like they are putting their heads in the sand over this. Why on gods earth would this not be a recall?....or are they waiting until someone gets hurt before doing anything about this.

In hot climates this could be a bigger issue and clearly your not the first to experience this.

If it was my car I'd be leaving it with them until Porsche put a re-work in place that rectifies this issue.

Its the friction on the pads and discs that heats up the fluid! Wheel bearings will also be getting fried!......nothing about this is good news for you or your car.

You approach a corner fast on a hot day/with a hot cabin and brake hard to shed the speed and enter the corner. Suddenly the brakes start trailing.......
bloody hell that's not good.

+1

Did they told you to use aircon in the winter to make sure the bushes does not expand anymore? :floor:

This is bad as you will boiled the fluid and your brakes will fade big time, not even mansion you will be thinking all the time when will it happened again and what if.
Not the best ride in such expensive car, sorry.

alpinaman said:
If there not prepared to fit bushes with a touch more tolerance,i doubt that they will fit new pads and discs.

Just another Porsche penny pinch..

Disgusting..

I was being tongue-in cheek.

Strange one i have just had the same issue in my Carrera 4s cab...it was a cold day so we put the heating on full on our feet......20 mins into the drive my brakes seemed like they were dragging......then all the lights came on
parked the car for 30 mins and all was well....just booked it in for new bushes...this should deffo be a recall...iv only had the car a week and this is not the sort of thing i would expect from a performance car

should i ask them to change the brake fluid as well?

Its a bit of an old problem , the bushes on the pedal tighten up with heat and hold the brakes on , its normally only slightly but in very bad cases can blue the discs .. pretty rare though , ive only seen 1 like that.

I think there was a recall but been a while so it might just have been fix under warrenty , about 1.5 hrs to do the job , new bushes and sometimes pedal shaft.

brake fluid wont have been affected unless your discs are Really blue.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back