Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Climate Control Buttons Worn - Found a solution!

My Cayman had the climate controls in a very bad condition after only three years. I was considering painting the buttons but I didn´t want to deal with the clime control unit disassemble.

Recently found a solution that works!

This is how it looked before:

8707500unnamed.jpg

This are photos with the decals instaled:

(Link for higher resolution)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14161084/clima repair/DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg

And this is how they look at night with the welcome lights on and the Instruments light off:

(Link for higher resolution)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14161084/clima repair/DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg

Pretty happy with the results :D

Found it at www.climarepair.com in case you´re interested[/img]

porscheaddicted said:
I ordered one set at a discounted price, will post pictures when I get them.

cheers

Very interested to hear how you get on with these :thumb:

TonyC911 said:
porscheaddicted said:
I ordered one set at a discounted price, will post pictures when I get them.

cheers

Very interested to hear how you get on with these :thumb:

+1, also interested.

£80 includes some Porsche-tax I expect. But perhaps it isn't particularly easy to do; otherwise it would have been done already!

I'm assuming you aren't trying to calculate the cost of the plastic?

Perhaps a quick call to a low-volume moulding company may give you a better idea on the tooling costs to be amortised (not to mention the two years of research).

Now divide by the possible market.

Which at £80 seems to be circa 50 units a month.

In any case, whilst there is no other equivalent solution, they could charge almost anything they wanted.

Isn't that the Porsche tax I mention? Low volume, often bespoke, with a sprinkling of monopolies and Publilius Syrus.

I don't conceptually have a problem with the price; but I'm interested to see how the OP gets on with the order. Then I'll be able to see whether I'll also be hitting the buy button at that price.

you can paint them yourself and produce the "temp" and fan symbols by just masking off with vinyl letters / symbol.

see the post i did a while back, not the best write up as i was not that used to the forum but you will get the idea.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=109679&highlight=

the vinyl letter came from fleabay about £3 and a can of plasticoat and my buttons still look great now no pealing what so ever.

But the buttons are meant to light up (be illuminated), so painting would surely negate this?

Rob325114 said:
Isn't that the Porsche tax I mention? Low volume, often bespoke, with a sprinkling of monopolies and Publilius Syrus.

I don't conceptually have a problem with the price; but I'm interested to see how the OP gets on with the order. Then I'll be able to see whether I'll also be hitting the buy button at that price.

Porsche tax is meant to imply simply the addition of the word or blessing of "Porsche" adds to the cost, with no recourse to actual value added.

E.g. OEM parts in a Porsche box vs Bosch box, Porsche coolant vs Elf/Comma coolant

no that's why you mask off with the stickers before you paint, the plastic of the buttons themselves allows the light to penetrate its just the paint that stops the rest of the buttons glowing. Have a look through the post you will see what i mean once you take the stickers off when the paint is dry you will have the same finish as the climarepair buttons

GT4 said:
But the buttons are meant to light up (be illuminated), so painting would surely negate this?

Masked off presumably... Fiddly though, I'd imagine.

I'm not very artistic, so I can see this going horribly wrong vs plug and play buttons.

AFAIK the new ClimaRepair button are not rubber coated.

I will know in the next week when mine arrive.

There are other options in the UK: http://www.climaterepair.co.uk/. I used these guys myself (there's a thread on it somewhere I think) and you can see the finished product in the pics in my garage.

I'll be interested to see the the USA product once fitted as it's a cheaper option at the moment albeit too late for me..........

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back