Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should i buy an early Cayenne for winter ?

Rockunrolla

Hi chaps , i need a 4x4 for the school run etc in the winter as i live up high and do get the snow !!!

Is it worth buying a early one petrol (not turbo) as cheap as i can = 7k ish ,,

I dont know anything about these ,

they came out around the same time as a 996 which are a nightmere now ,

does the cayenne have lots of problems and totaly kill you on mpg or are they ok ,,

advise needed pls as id like to have two porsches ,,

my other safer options are bmw x3 /x5 , freelander2 merc Ml !!!

cheers

From the list you have posted the BMW's are by far the safest bet.

Get an old Range Rover, at least they have some class about them.

MC

what about a grand jeep cherokee you can get an 05/55 reg diesel for about 7000 and petrol 4.7 or 5.7 for around the same a really well equipped car with proper 4 wheel drive low box etc...

Hi , ye i know about the other options and what they offer but it would be raelly nice to complete my garage with the two porsches ,

but can i assume by your replies of "other cars " that your inadvertently saying dont get a cayenne

Yep an early S is a great car, teliable and also fabulous and genuinelt sporty to drive unlike nearly every other suv

Make sure you get air suspension

And winter tyres otherwise your not going anywhere.

Otherwise a Rav 4, Scooby Forester, several other Jap 4x4's and the Grand Cherokee will do you right if your not bothered by 'badge snobbery'

ha ha , yes very nice ,
im not going off roading or anything , just want something thats safe for the kids , will get around when the snow comes and that ill enjoy looking at aswel ,
:) :)

A lot have knackered engines. Lining in cylinder can breakdown, oil consumption goes up and the "death click" can be heard at tickover.
Lots around(and cheap) but many have engine faults.

Yes some bargains around........but buyer beware.

A Subaru legacy is great winter car also btw.

It's a winter car, does it need to be expensive, or have a badge?

We have just bought a SWB MK1 Toyota RAV4 for the winter, hugely lovable little car, and a significant amount cheaper than a set of winter tyres for our Cayenne.

Now when the white stuff does fall, I'll not need to worry about people in BMW's sliding around on summer tyres, and messing with my happiness.

Looks like both my Porsches will have the winter off.

ScottUK.

It is a little about the badge :oops:

well i say that , i blame the wife :frustrated:

its actaually her winter car and didnt seem very impressed when i showed her a picture of a T reg freelander for £1200 which I and you know would do the job just fine ,, :dont know:

but it is what it is ,,

I think the answer is clear and an x5 with winter tyres is the answer

wizard993 said:
A lot have knackered engines. Lining in cylinder can breakdown, oil consumption goes up and the "death click" can be heard at tickover.
Lots around(and cheap) but many have engine faults.

Modelled on the 996, you say :?:

mrfastbaz said:
what about a grand jeep cherokee you can get an 05/55 reg diesel for about 7000 and petrol 4.7 or 5.7 for around the same a really well equipped car with proper 4 wheel drive low box etc...

Never ever buy a grand cherokee I had a 4.7HO from new, long story but valves needed replaced at 22K miles, trouble was it took jeep over 6 months to get parts. Support seams to be a common problem.

The thing was nice to drive (but gutsy) however I think Jeep had it more often than I did, the neighbors would joke about what car I would come home tonight in -Viper good, Neon bad and the PT cruser -WTF!!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back