Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dehumidifier

Jcx

Hey gang, ordered a dehumidifier today for the garage. Is a non-condensing type so also pumps out heat of 10-12 degrees C higher than input air temp to gently heat the garage.

Will report on capability and running costs in due course. Past experience in very humid environments proves that these things rock! :)

Garage should be as dry as a grannies.... Skin (?!) This winter. :floor:

Snob :grin:

What about a carcoon :dont know:

Zingari said:
Snob :grin:

What about a carcoon :dont know:

Don't tempt me... :). But i would need a bigger garage. This should do for now.

What make have you bought?I am just thinking of purchasing a dehumidifier and would like to know more about your purchase?

What about a JLS condom instead of a cartoon? I found out on The Chaser quiz when that numb as a pis stone from Boyzone was taking part that this manufactured group have put their name to them :?

My wife says they're likely to be very big :oops:

I bought the DD8L from these guys http://www.dry-it-out.com/dehumidifiers/car-storage.

They provided fab phone advice, no hard sell, and talked my down from my more expensive option. Even suggested i buy a big water carrier to drain into via hose for max u attended service periods.

Delivery was next day and it works a treat. Best bit? It heats the garage as it runs...

Zingari said:
My wife says they're likely to be very big :oops:

And may we assume your wife knows 'big' when she sees it?! ;-)

I have an X Dry unit in the garage. It has been used every winter for the last 4 years. When I came to set it up a few weeks ago the heating element had failed. Having phoned around, the general advise was to buy another unit for around £200 as they arn't fixable.

However, a call to Dry-it-out sorted the issue. Sent it to them and they returned it with a new element for £60. Fantastic, no bull service from these guys.

The unit blows warmer now than it ever did, even on 'econ' setting. I've just been into the garage (a double) and its quite toasty at 13 degrees and the humidity is down to 18! I have the unit plumbed into the boiler overflow pipe which runs into a grid outside, so I never have to worry about empying it.

Sifly71 said:
I have an X Dry unit in the garage. It has been used every winter for the last 4 years. When I came to set it up a few weeks ago the heating element had failed. Having phoned around, the general advise was to buy another unit for around £200 as they arn't fixable.

However, a call to Dry-it-out sorted the issue. Sent it to them and they returned it with a new element for £60. Fantastic, no bull service from these guys.

The unit blows warmer now than it ever did, even on 'econ' setting. I've just been into the garage (a double) and its quite toasty at 13 degrees and the humidity is down to 18! I have the unit plumbed into the boiler overflow pipe which runs into a grid outside, so I never have to worry about empying it.

what a great story. 18 RH is VERY dry... beware it drying out rubber and leather items. 40-50 is really great for preventing rust etc. at least that's what i read on their web site.

How much would a unit like this cost to run a month? Just a rough figure would do :)

Chris

deutschland-dobson said:
How much would a unit like this cost to run a month? Just a rough figure would do :)

Chris

My rough guess on my electric tarif (deals vary) is about £15-25/month. I also have a tube heater which costs about £15/month to run full time which takes the chill off and means that the higher powered and higher cost dehumidifier has less work to do. With a well sealed garage my car is warmer at night than i am :)

what a great story. 18 RH is VERY dry... beware it drying out rubber and leather items. 40-50 is really great for preventing rust etc. at least that's what i read on their web site.

Sorry, my mistake, the RH was 28! Which is still pretty good for a double garage. Once I get the old draughty door replaced with a new insulated roller shutter door, it should be even better.

I also have a wall mounted electric heater which kicks in at about 2 degrees but I don't think its ever got that low with the X Dry unit running.
I can always turn up the heater if I want to work on the car in the garage over the winter though :p

As far as costs go, I worked it out to roughly 50p per day to run the X Dry so £15 per month which I think is reasonable.

Jcx said:
deutschland-dobson said:

Chris

My rough guess on my electric tarif (deals vary) is about £15-25/month. I also have a tube heater which costs about £15/month to run full time which takes the chill off and means that the higher powered and higher cost dehumidifier has less work to do. With a well sealed garage my car is warmer at night than i am :)

Resurrecting this thread to ask how you guys seal out your garages to make a dehumidifier more efficient? Most notably how you seal the bottom gap on the big up and over garage swing door? Possibly general old clothes etc or is there a specific device one can buy to seal this area? :?:

richbrowne said:
Jcx said:
deutschland-dobson said:

Chris

Resurrecting this thread to ask how you guys seal out your garages to make a dehumidifier more efficient? Most notably how you seal the bottom gap on the big up and over garage swing door? Possibly general old clothes etc or is there a specific device one can buy to seal this area? :?:

In my case; a new sealed, insulated, sectional garage door. Not cheap but superb thermal qualities and better security.

Jcx said:
richbrowne said:
Jcx said:
deutschland-dobson said:

Chris

In my case; a new sealed, insulated, sectional garage door. Not cheap but superb thermal qualities and better security.

That's not feasible for me because I rent at the moment. :frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back