Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Super Sport - usable or money pit?

anotherGT2

Mugello
I'm currently on the hunt for something to use to keep the GT2 mileage down for a year or two as I've used it too much this last 18 months.

The choice is currently between something modern and very usable like a Cayman or early 997S - or something a bit more interesting like a 964 or 3.2, maybe even a backdate RS rep.

This super sport has caught my eye, a ducktail and RS bumpers would be some nice cosmetic (easily reversible) updates to it.

The question is would this be a maintenance nightmare for me? Could I use this 3 or 4 times a week without incurring massive bills?

Any input from 3.2 owners would be helpful, I've never owned anything earlier than a 996 so go easy on my ignorance :)

Car is here:

http://www.pctcars.co.uk/carsforsale/porsche-911-carrera-super-sport-turbo-look-coupe-1986/37.htm

cars37aA.jpg

I used my Supersport every day for commuting - cost me nothing.

Very reliable, very good suspension (original Bilsteins) and very good brakes.

But mine was a low mileage car that really had spent most of it's life in a garage... even so it had needed new kidney bowls a few years before I bought it.

So the advice is rust rust rust - even if it has been treated it will come back.

Budget for it, then relax and enjoy the car - they are excellent.

That one even looks like it has the correct 7x16 and 9x16 wheels.

Can't imagine you'd lose much if you bought that? Even taking into account maintenance / running costs etc

The white one looks very nice for me these cars are all the better for regular use however it will take a bit of getting used to a 915 box for daily use, there is a Blue one available here http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24053-32-super-sport/

I also think supersports price wise are around the £25k mark you see plenty asking above this but not heard of many actually achieving much more

Love that but 50k is too much for a 'bespoke' car IMO.

If I spend 30k I want the car to hold value, this is why the supersport is attractive, limited run and demand for them will always be there for these RSR backdates etc.

I've got Monday free so will try to get to look at some cars :thumbs:

Ive got a 3.2 gav.
I wouldn't dream of using it as a day to day driver.
You be better off just setting it on fire, and claiming the Insurance.
Half an hour to warm up properly, and unless the 915's had a rebuild they can be pretty demanding.

How about a 968?
Much more like it.
Clubsports are quite fun.

The older stuff really needs looking after more.
A decent 993 tip, even a tip/targa would be vfm.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back