Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Upgraded my 997 Key

elliot_holder

Hi all,

Thought I'd share some handy work I managed over the weekend.
One of my 997 keys was looking tired and had a cracked casing, so I took the plunge and decided to strip it down and fit it into a gen 2 case ordered online.

To get it done you have to stip the internals from old key, including very carefully cutting away the glue around the transponder, and tranfer everything across into the new casing.

It was quite fiddly, but I am very pleased with the results, and so far it works perfectly.

Key is much improved vs the earlier version, much more weighty and substantial, and buttons are recessed so its harder to open the doors/frunk by mistake.

Few pics below.. enjoy :)

null_zps91c2a641.jpg

Old vs New

null_zpsa3c64845.jpg

Button side

null_zpsb1516cab.jpg

null_zpsfe9913d3.jpg

Nice work, that's 10 times better! The gen 1 key is a shocker. If you went to buy a new key from OPC, could you stipulate a gen 2 key for a gen 1 car?

That looks brilliant. Well done! The Gen 1 key is indeed a bit cheap and nasty, the black casing looks much more appealing. Great work! :thumb:

nice! good job.

Where did you get the new casing from?

Thanks

KJ

clarkey979 said:
Nice work, that's 10 times better! The gen 1 key is a shocker. If you went to buy a new key from OPC, could you stipulate a gen 2 key for a gen 1 car?

Hi Clarkey - yes you can, i have two new Gen2 keys for my Gen1 car that i got from the main stealer - they aint cheap though. I got the first one as a condition of sale and the second one my key insurer kindly paid for 8)

Update

Quick note to all those who ordered keys. They have all been sent out today first class recorded so should be with you all soon :)

I took a punt and ordered a few extra, so if anyone else is interested let me know.

null_zps2cf80f0e.jpg

I'm interested in one dude although my key only has two buttons, do you know if the three button is usable?

Let me know price and payment options?

thanks
:thumb:

Two button

Hi Ducky,

Can get two buttons as well. Just happen to have found homes for all the ones I'd ordered already.

Had a couple of mails re: 2 button versions and will be putting in another order this Friday. If you want one or a pair let me know and I'll earmark for you.

Otherwise, you can use a three button case with two button internals, just means you have a button which doesn't do anything. On the two button there is simply a blank in place of the third button.

Hi Elliot,

If you could get me a two button one that would be great :thumb: I already have a gen2 key, so only need to change the old one over.

cheers
Chris

Great

Hello Elliot
Finally got key cases from Royal Mail. Fiddly yes. Fit great and work. They feel so much better than the originals.
Cheers

Ed :thumbs:

Does anyone know if you can get a "fold out" type key body instead - much more trouserable!

Flip key

HarryH said:
Does anyone know if you can get a "fold out" type key body instead - much more trouserable!

Had a quick look into this, only 'fold out' type I can find is for the Cayenne and it looks like the internal workings are very different.

Not to say it couldn't be done, but it looks like a lot of effort and cost.

On a related note, would be great to upgrade to a 991 key, although I suspect again this would require HUGE amounts of effort/cost and would probably even require modification to electronics and ignition wiring/ecu etc

Looks like we're all stuck with the traditional blade style keys for the foreseeable.

Hi Elliot

If you're doing another order for the two button version, I'd love to be included in this. Can you let me know unit cost please?

Cheers

DS

Elliot,

Fob received, thanks they do feel so much better.

If you do another order for two button fobs, i think i will be in, provided i can do this one!

Regards

That looks so much better Elliot,

I'll take two of the two button keys on your next order.

Cheers, Jason

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back