Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 911 Turbo and Turbo S cabriolets revealed

Porsche News

The new Porsche 911 Turbo and Turbo S Cabriolets have been revealed ahead of their planned public premiere at the Los Angeles motor show on 20 November.

The open top pairing follows closely on the heels of the recently introduced 911 Turbo and Turbo S coupe, boasting a unique body that is 28mm wider than that of the widest of existing 911 models, the Carrera 4.

911TTC-1.jpg

A revised fabric roof, now fitted with a lightweight magnesium frame, opens and stows in a dedicated compartment behind the cabin in 13.0sec at speeds up to 37mph.

Power hails from a newly developed turbocharged version of Porsche's 3.8-litre flat six petrol engine developing 513bhp in the 911 Turbo cabriolet and 552bhp in the 911 Turbo S cabriolet.

Official figures point to 0-62mph times of 3.5sec and 3.2sec respectively. Top speed in both models is put at 198mph. Fuel economy has improved by 30 per cent at a claimed 28.5mpg.

911TTC-2.jpg

911TTC-3.jpg

911TTC-4.jpg

911TTC-5.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

Porsche is adding two new models to the 911 range: the 911 Turbo Cabriolet and 911 Turbo S Cabriolet. These new models combine the dynamic range of the new 911 Turbo models with the driving pleasure offered by an open-top sports car. 50 years after the 911 made its debut, and coinciding with the 40th anniversary of the 911 Turbo, the open-top versions of the 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S are make their global debut at the Los Angeles International Auto Show on November 20, 2013.

By adding the two new 911 Turbo models into the mix, Porsche is doubling its offering of the top-of-the-range models to four versions.In extending the range, the 911 Turbo Cabriolet and 911 Turbo S Cabriolet deliver the same blend of sporty dynamism, performance and efficiency offered by the Coupe model unveiled a few months ago.

911TTC-6.jpg

The twin-turbocharged 3.8-liter six-cylinder engine delivers 520 hp in the open-top 911 Turbo and 560 hp in the S model. The cars accelerate from zero to 60mph in 3.3 and 3.1 seconds respectively, reaching a top speed of up to 195 mph. When compared against the respective predecessor models, the new 911 Turbo Cabriolet's deliver 30 more horsepower and are 0.2 seconds faster in terms of their standard acceleration. The 911 Turbo Cabriolet and 911 Turbo S Cabriolet U.S. EPA fuel consumption ratings are 17.0 mpg city and 24.0 mpg highway.

Active rear-axle steering and active aerodynamics for improved performance and efficiency

The driving capability offered by the two new top-of-the-range Cabriolet models is something that cannot be expressed in simple figures. With a seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission as standard and the new PTM all-wheel drive, as well as rear-axle steering and active aerodynamics, the open-top 911 Turbo models are establishing Porsche technology in the open-top super sports car segment. While the rear-axle steering has an immensely positive impact on handling, both on the racetrack and during everyday use, the active aerodynamics are adjusted to offer optimum efficiency or driving performance at the touch of a button, depending on the driver's selection.

More than ever before, both of these new top-of-the-range models make a clear visual statement about their performance. The wide flared rear fenders of the new 911 Turbo generation are 1.1 in. wider than those of the 911 Carrera 4 models – a virtually level surface and just over a hand's width extend out from the C-pillar to the outer edge of the vehicle's body. The impressive width is accentuated further when the top is down.

911TTC-7.jpg

Another eye-catching feature of the 911 Turbo Cabriolet is the exclusive Porsche retractable roof with its lightweight magnesium frame. This innovative technology enables the Coupe-like arch to the roof to be preserved when the top is closed. This arch, which offers advantages in terms of aerodynamics, is not feasible using conventional construction techniques. As with predecessor models, the roof opens and closes in around 13 seconds, at speeds of up to 30 mph.

Premium materials in the interior

The interior of the new Cabriolet models follows that of the 911 Turbo Coupe. The S-model boasts a particularly extensive range of features, including an exclusive interior available in Black/Carrera Red and adaptive Sport Seats Plus with 18-way adjustment and memory. In addition, the backrest shells of the seats are leather trimmed with double stitched seams, and various elements are made from lightweight carbon fiber. As with predecessor models, the Bose sound system is fitted as standard, and for the first time, a Burmester sound system is available as an option. The radar-controlled adaptive Cruise Control system, camera-based road sign and speed limit recognition function and reverse camera are also available as options.

911TTC-8.jpg

911TTC-9.jpg

Phat!

Now they just need to facelift the bug eyes and I might like all of it.

gosh, those are lovely. Ditch the silver and they would be even lovelier. Porsche must be making one of the fastest production cabriolets on the planet with this car. Also, i'm sure every time EVO or similar measure the acceleration times on turbos, they always better the claimed figures. I'm guessing Porsche deliberately quote on the conservative side. For me though, the acid question is whether a 5-year old 991 turbo S cab. will be within my budget when it comes to it?

Please please please Porsche: over-supply this model.

Also in Frankfurt was the Turbo coupe, looked good in white with glass sunroof and black trim.
Got some weird looks (from the mrs too) when I was scrambling around the floor checking out the underside of the active aero splitter.

does it feel like a £120-140k car ?

GT4 said:
Phat!

Now they just need to facelift the bug eyes and I might like all of it.

Attachments

• 996_2_688.jpg
    996_2_688.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 7,339
No!

I meant they could revisit the 993 lights for a third time ... :puh:

993_headlight1147283985.jpg

Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid :nooo:

It looks too big, I'm not keen on the wheels, the intercooler vents look cheap (boxster ones are much nicer), and the rear end is something not even a mother could love... :yuk:

Wake me up when something more appealing comes along... :sleepy:

Agree Chimp, it is very big now. I think the 911 has been moved up over the last 3 generations size wise to become a GT, which also links in to the price tag now. The Cayman/Boxster is now where the 964/993 used to be in terms of physical size and performance as a sports car.

Agree Chimp, it is very big now. I think the 911 has been moved up over the last 3 generations size wise to become a GT, which also links in to the price tag now. The Cayman/Boxster is now where the 964/993 used to be in terms of physical size and performance as a sports car.

Yes agreed, not for me either and I doubt it'll be any quicker on the road..

First set of performance figures are no different to the current model..

They really seem to have lost the plot with the rear end, it doesn't gel for me at all. Is it an American styling influence?

I like it. The look will most likely grow on you and the 997 will start to look a bit dated over time. They are not cheap, though. £126k for the turbo and £149k for the turbo S. It's not that surprising that the figures aren't much different to the 997 since they were stellar to begin with. They'll be a used car "bargain" at £100k and a couple of years old.

£149k (and this is before options) puts you in a "as new" mp4-12c, gallardo, or even a 458, else you could have a 997 turbo s and £60k change - still waving the 991 flag :?:

:whiteflag:

chimp911 said:
£149k (and this is before options) puts you in a "as new" mp4-12c, gallardo, or even a 458, else you could have a 997 turbo s and £60k change - still waving the 991 flag :?:

:whiteflag:

Yep. Still I do agree it's very expensive and getting close to the cars you mention but the 991 has them beaten on running costs and every day useabikity. I'm not going to take an mp4 to the supermarket anytime soon..... I do get your point as I have a 991 c2s now and I am thinking I could just keep it and buy a 997 turbo with what it would cost to trade up!

Regardless of price I still think it looks great. Not classic 911 but........

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back