Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New here, and with a new car

Welshie22

Hi all,

I'm new to Porsche's and this site (but not new to cars). I recently got married and my uncle in law has a Porsche 911 SC Targa in his dry garage where its sat for 10 years. I was able to look at it when my now wife took me to visit him for christmas.

I joked with him at my recent wedding about him using it, and he basically said if I was to come and fix it up I could have it, wow!

He said he pulled it off the road as it had an oil leak, and from what i've read that could be breather problems on these cars. Is that correct? It will be a while before I attack the car as I have another restoration to finish soon, but what other things should I look out for (besides the obvious) to get it running and roadworthy? Any particular weak points?

Thanks in advance

Bloody 'ell. Your missus got any sisters.......??

Welcome aboard and get some piccies up soon. :thumb:

Hah no she doesn't sorry. I'll try and get a pic up soon, in the meantime does anyone have any hints or tips?

Welcome! It is worth getting someone close to you who knows to look at it closely for rust! After that rust & again rust.

Change filters (Oil & gas/petrol), pull the plugs & replace if she has not been started for the time you say, then take the rotor out of the cap & on a fresh battery till you hopefully see the oil pressure rise on the gauge ( not a prolonged crank) then rotor cap back in & fire in the hole ! I used this method on mine & also on the new project (I had to pay for mine!)

Then 2 days of Porsche Paranoia Syndrome, then if you can drive it !

Enjoy it Welshie, it is a bloody good feeling to get behind the wheel.

Spares, fan belt / air on belt, the proper wrench for the bells, spare fuel pump relay, spare DME relay and go nuts!

Find. Genuine Porsche mechanic who does enjoy these cars and maintain her as per schedule and you & the Bride will have a beaut ride

PabloAU said:
Welcome! It is worth getting someone close to you who knows to look at it closely for rust! After that rust & again rust.

Change filters (Oil & gas/petrol), pull the plugs & replace if she has not been started for the time you say, then take the rotor out of the cap & on a fresh battery till you hopefully see the oil pressure rise on the gauge ( not a prolonged crank) then rotor cap back in & fire in the hole ! I used this method on mine & also on the new project (I had to pay for mine!)

Then 2 days of Porsche Paranoia Syndrome, then if you can drive it !

Enjoy it Welshie, it is a bloody good feeling to get behind the wheel.

Spares, fan belt / air on belt, the proper wrench for the bells, spare fuel pump relay, spare DME relay and go nuts!

Find. Genuine Porsche mechanic who does enjoy these cars and maintain her as per schedule and you & the Bride will have a beaut ride

Thanks you Pablo. Ah so rust even strikes these exotics badly eh? its been dry stored so i'm hoping its ok, it certainly looks rust free when I had a little poke around.

I would advise against spinning the car over with the rotor cap off though, it doesn't do the electrics any good without having an earth ;) Incidentally what is the air on belt?

Never mind wife's sisters, introduce me to your mother in law! :floor:

Some photos of your wife's dowry would be nice - get us all envious and all...

You're a lucky man , it looks pretty to me , i just cant ever imagine leaving a car like that for so long , each to their own i suppose .
It will need looking at by a knowledgeable person before attempting to start it up after so long , get it out and sorted , back on the road , congratulations , every bodies dream come true that is . :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back