Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Evans Waterless Coolant - Anyone tried and running it?

Porsche News

AN INTRODUCTION TO EVANS WATERLESS COOLANT

evans_970.jpg

www.rpmtechnik.co.uk

RPM Technik are UK stockists of Evans Waterless Coolants Power Cool 180º.
Power Cool 180º is a waterless engine coolant formulated for all types of motorsport. The unique properties of Evans have been embraced by professional racing teams around the World.

For a price to convert your Porsche to Evans Waterless Coolants then please choose your model on our Fixed Price Servicing page, or for more information on the product then please read below.

No Water Means...

No Overheating

Power Cool 180 has a boiling point of 180°C and will not boilover.

More BHP

Power Cool 180 eliminates premature detonation associated with overheating.

No Corrosion

Water contains oxygen, oxygen allows corrosion. Power Cool 180 eliminates
corrosion.

No Pressure

Power Cool 180 allows your cooling system to run at a lower pressure, reducing the strain on engine components.

No Liner Pitting

Power Cool 180 generates significantly less pitting when compared with all water based coolants.

The Science Behind Evans
evans_image.jpg

No Overheating

Traditional water based coolants regularly cross the thermal boundary that separates Efficient Nucleate Boiling (A) from Inefficient Critical Heat Flux. CHF leads to localised film boiling (B) and steam bubbles circulating throughout the cooling system, which often results in overheating and combustion issues. Evans Waterless Coolants boil above 180º C ensuring effective cooling and efficient fuel burn is maintained for all engine loads and ambient air temperatures.

More BHP

When water-based coolants vapourise adjacent to the combustion zone, hot-spots are formed. These hot-spots have been proven to cause pre-ignition in petrol engines and detonation issues in diesel engines. Evans Waterless Coolants eliminates hot-spots and subsequently improve combustion efficiency and increase power delivery.

No Corrosion

Water is the root cause of corrosion in all cooling systems, via oxidation (rusting) and galvanic (electrolytic) action. Evans coolants do not contain dissolved oxygen and have a much lower conductivity (increased resistivity) compared with water-based coolants. Subsequently replacing water with Evans non-aqueous solution eliminates corrosion and the need to periodically refresh or replenish the coolant.

No Pressure

Water requires additional (cap) pressure to prevent it boiling within the engine. This additional pressure can vary between 7psi and 29psi (0.5 Bar to 2 Bar) which places significant stress on cooling system components, including hoses, gaskets and radiators. Evans Waterless Coolants generate much lower pressures, in the region of 4psi, and therefore reduces strain on all components.

No Liner Pitting

Liner pitting is primarily caused by the rapid formation and collapse of small steam bubbles on the metal surface. Over several years this process can lead to severe surface erosion and deep liner pitting. Evans Waterless Coolants are not prone to forming vapour bubbles and proven, by SAE trials, to virtually eliminate surface erosion and pitting.

http://www.rpmtechnik.co.uk

Attachments

• evans_970.jpg
    evans_970.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 37,964
I was reading about it in one of the latest Porsche mags.

Has anyone tried the stuff in their Porsche and got some first hand experience...?

Sounds very clever with a boiling point of 180C and lots of associated benefits.

tim

It does seem to work, extract from June P911W issue...

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

" Silver-Bullet Solution ... It remains to be seen whether an innovative new synthetic coolant can prevent your 911 or Boxster engine shredding its cylinder liners, and landing you with a repair bill for many thousands of pounds. But Chris Horton, for one, reckons it could be the answer to our prayers....

...The absence of water means that both corrosion and scaling will be a thing of the past, and the corresponding absence of so-called inhibitor drop-out gives the product an almost infinite working life. It is non-toxic – unlike conventional ethylene glycol, which has a catastrophic effect on both humans and animals – and no less crucially for the environment allows not only much greater control of the engine's running temperature, but also, for the reasons touched on above, a useful raising of that temperature to as much as 110 degrees Celsius.

That in itself increases combustion efficiency, but paradoxically (because of the resulting steeper heat 'gradient' between the radiator and the atmosphere) also reduces the time for which the energyconsuming cooling fan will be running.

Last but by no means least, and again we come back to the whole boilingpoint issue, it also allows the cooling system to run
at a very much reduced pressure. Don't try this at home, as they say, but Evans engineers often demonstrate this by casually unscrewing an EWC-equipped race car's radiator cap at the end of an event, with a complete absence of the usual geyser of scalding water and steam. That equates to vastly reduced expansion and contraction of flexible hoses as the engine warms and cools, and so they, too, last for far longer – if not indefinitely."

Attachments

• evans_coolants_2_600_119.jpg
    evans_coolants_2_600_119.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 38,431
  • evans_coolants_110.jpg
    evans_coolants_110.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 38,431
Yep that's the article I read. Very interesting idea.

Does the engine have to be flushed 'dry' before putting the stuff in?

It struck me this was something you might use in a freshly rebuilt motor or a new car...

tim

There was a company at the last Goodwood breakfast club selling this or another brand. I am sure I heard him say to a potential customer that the engine needed to be flushed with it, first.

Evan's Waterless Coolant

Hi Guy's Has anybody used Evan's Waterless Coolant in their 996 yet? I have been in touch with them and it does seem to have some very attractive properties :?: Obviously expensive compared to PAG coolant.

Roger

I doubt you'd really notice the difference.

Probably best just to stick with what Porsche specify from the factory? :dont know:

Re: Has anyone tried Evans Waterless Coolant?

tim993 said:

Has anyone tried the stuff in their Porsche and got some first hand experience...?

Sounds very clever with a boiling point of 180C and lots of associated benefits.

tim

Tim am I missing something but why is a 993 owner even looking at this ?

Re: Has anyone tried Evans Waterless Coolant?

jonttt said:
tim993 said:

tim

Tim am I missing something but why is a 993 owner even looking at this ?

Yes, good question! I keep thinking about a Boxster an M3 or maybe even a GT3... I think the suggestion from the article was that a coolant with a higher boiling point may solve some of the problems associated with localised hot spots where the water boils leaving a gas pocket.

tim

I have this in my TVR and am very happy with the results. Seems to run cooler and when hot cools quicker once the rad kicks in.

It's expensive to do but lasts forever.

being an American (Californian) product they of course have no freezing issues so its not mentioned, but wonder what its freezing point is ??

It doesn't freeze. It just becomes thicker:

Evans Waterless Coolants are the ONLY 100% waterless automotive engine coolant available on the market. All Evans Waterless Coolants are a chemical blend that results in more efficient cooling due to a higher boiling point. The increased boiling point of the coolant eliminates the occurance of boil over, cavitation, and detonation. Not only do Evans Waterless Coolants not boil over,they do not freeze. At extreme cold temperatures the coolants contract and become extremely thick, not becoming solid and expanding like antifreeze containing water. Because Evans Waterless Coolants do not contain water electrolysis and corrosion are also eliminated. Every Evans Waterless Coolant requires the entire cooling system to be drained (radiator, engine block and heater core) and refilled 100% with one of the Evans Waterless Coolants. No need to add anything. Evans now has three different coolants to choose from depending on the application and use of your specific vehicle. Also available is a flush fluid for smaller engines without block drains.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back