Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

£25k - Ferrari 348 vs 911 Turbo..?

Tee

Hi guys, so started a business few years ago after uni and after some slog its picking up. Usuall have about £25k surplus which I thought I'd spend on my passion. This is maybe the wrong place to ask but have any of you considered a 348 or owned one, and why would you recommend a 911 Turbo over it. I should add I am not in the game of losing money on cars and I fully appreciate the value of £25k, so with that in mind which model would you recommend as an investment as well as thrills?

From a novice point of view..

I wouldn't recommend any car as an investment - have a look over recent posts here - people have been discussing such matters at length.

The 348 was not much loved, under powered, and not developed all that completely - a lot of people felt it was an unfinished car. It's not the prettiest of Ferraris either. If anything like other Ferraris it will need more frequent servicing, which wont be cheap. More consumables which are likely more expensive, it will be far less reliable and not a practical daily drive. A lot of Ferraris are quite low mileage - there is a reason for this, they are not great every day cars. It will devalue more if you use it a lot.
Which begs the question - what are you going to use the car for?

As for the 996 Turbo (which is the 911 turbo that falls into your price bracket) - much much much faster, much more reliable and useable, better built. Its a highly respected Porsche (vs a less respected Ferrari). Better service intervals I think and make excellent daily drivers.
The combination with the Tiptronic is not the favourite one, but it is nigh on indestructible as far as the amazing Metzger engine goes and the Merc gearbox. Bullet proof.
Both cars will cost, they are likely getting long in the tooth, keep some cash in reserve for a rainy day.

Cost up a new set of tyres, road tax, brakes and a service. You may be surprised. I don't drive a turbo, but tyres and break (PADS) only cost me about £1100 iirc, add into that discs & tax and its getting more expensive.

Good luck - buy the Porsche, it will reward you more day after day, with less heartbreak and a lot more speed and safety.

M

Plus you get to be an owning member of our awesome community - its like no other car community I have been involved with. Far better by a long stretch.

Sausage said:
Plus you get to be an owning member of our awesome community - its like no other car community I have been involved with. Far better by a long stretch.

+1. I spend more time on here talking about it than I do driving it. Which makes the whole ownership experience cheaper and more fun :)

MC

Having researched yes I do agree but not wholly about maintenance, £400 once a year service and £1k cambelt every 3 years so not all bad. What im asking about price is have 911 turbos bottomed out or do you think theres more depreciation to come?

I'll be using maybe 2 or 3 times a week and once every 2 months for a 200 mile round journey. Freaky you two are first repliers - I live in Leicester and on my way to Nottingham today.. maybe it's a sign I should see your cars ;)

£400 for an annual Ferrari service sounds cheap :dont know: and that price has not included parts that may wear out due to age. My impression of Ferrari is that not only are they very mileage sensitive in terms of selling but actually are not very well built with cheap components and trim.

348 is likely to hold its price better given that 996 TT despite on the low depreciation curve will still fall as cars get older making them more affordable to people who will ultimately skimp on servicing etc. for example you can buy a 996 C2 for £6k which gives people direct entry in Porsche ownership but proper repairs into three figures will not be on the list of priorities :dont know:

Personally I think you will get more enjoyment out of a 996TT and a better car in terms of what £25k will buy you - condition etc.

Air-cooled are holding/increasing in value but these are probably not what you are after?

GT4 said:
It wasn't meant as a joke :dont know:

I know, it was your delivery that got me laughing :D

If I had 25k and was worried about depreciation, running costs etc think I would be looking at a 993 rather than the 996 Turbo - not as fast but what's the rush

:dont know:

apw2007 said:
If I had 25k and was worried about depreciation, running costs etc think I would be looking at a 993 rather than the 996 Turbo.

Just to clarify for the OP, apw2007 means 'a 993' and not a '993 Turbo'.

For £25k you'll get a good 2002 996 Turbo from a dealer or a very decent 2003 car privately and be getting fantastic value for money. Depreciation hasn't finished on these cars but it has slowed down to a point where keeping the car for 2 or 3 years shouldn't be too painful.

FYI GT4 had a F355 and apw2007 had a 360 so I'd listen to what they say about Ferrari v Porsche ownership. :grin:

Good luck :thumb:

Being completely honest, if it was based entirely on looks, would you go for 911 or the rarri

In the long term the 348 ought to be the safer place to put your money simply because of how many 996 Turbos were made. Ownership costs would probably normalise that though.

I wouldn't buy either though. Wait until your available cash has grown to £35-40k and then you can decide between a GT3 and a 355... :thumb:

[Life is indeed short, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some things worth waiting for]

try them and decide ... its the only way

in defence of the 348, it has the best steering feel of any Ferrari since, and is a lot better in this respect than the 355

also, later cars were much improved on the handling front and if you hop over to Club Scud you will read many favourable memories and reports of owners running 348's with plenty of comments about just how involving and old skool fun they are much like an aircooled 911

a car that was much maligned by the press at the time, but many real ownership stories always seem to contradict this

that said, people who can't afford a 355 will often justify the 348 and kid themselves that its better ... like all things on the net, its hard to get to teh real truth and the only way is to drive these things yourself

as for the 911 turbo, you couldn't have picked a more different car ... way way faster and a million times more modern and capable and of course blown which fundamentally changes absolutely everything IMO

I'm with Disco on this though. I wouldnt choose either of these but I'd either plump for a good 964 or 993 or wait a little for the funds to swell a little and start looking at GT3's and F355's.

Tee said:
Being completely honest, if it was based entirely on looks, would you go for 911 or the rarri

If its looks alone then all reasoning goes out of the window. Years ago I had a chum who bought a 328 replica. I convinced him that dark tinting of the windows would make it look cool. Actually that was to prevent my embarassment of being seen in it :grin:

He bought it for a status symbol and whilst now he can afford a decent car he runs them on the cheap trying to find back street garages to fix any issues :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back