Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

FOR SALE - €1m - Becker Porsche 959 Speedster 1 of 1 made!

tedzwedz

Suzuka
Following on from my earlier post of this 1 off masterpiece...

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=39200

I have seen on another site that it is FOR SALE!! at a cool €1m...

text from Flat Sixes below (
http://flatsixes.com/cars/for-sale-...r-for-sale/?awt_l=HgFpM&awt_m=3iR8BV3M5Y5gG0L

Custom 959 Speedster For Sale

June 28, 2013 by Bradley Brownell

Sometimes, it is possible to make the proverbial sow's ear into the finest of silk purses. Crafting a terrible situation into a great outcome takes skill, talent, effort, and time in equal measures. Never before has this been truer than in the case of this topless 959. The only one of its kind, this 959 started life as a standard 959, if you can even call a 959 'standard", but has been transformed into a unique and interesting example.

Porsche 959 cabriolet for sale

The story goes that this particular 959 was delivered in Germany to an amateur German racing driver late in the production run. Less than 24 hours after driving away from the factory, the car was hurtling down the Autobahn near 140 miles per hour. It was at high speed when an unsuspecting Opel pulled out to pass a semi in-front of the Porsche driver. The 959 swerved to avoid a car-to-car collision, but ended up going off the highway and rolling over. The damage done to the car was primarily to the roof and front sections, but the car was deemed a total loss. The driver was understandably devastated after having waited for so long to receive his new pride and joy.

Not wishing to look at his damaged pride and joy, the car was sold almost immediately after the crash to a German Porsche collector, who had the car delivered to Raceline Feustel in Westfalia. Feustel is known for their quality work, and this piece was no exception. The 959, relieved of its damaged components, was then reconstructed without a roof to make the world's only Porsche 959 Speedster. At the same time, the car was prepared to receive a standard 911 Cabriolet top and windscreen frame as well. The original damaged top was then crafted into a hardtop for the 959. This Porsche had, due to terrible circumstances, become a bespoke three-pronged attack on the senses.

This 959 remains completely stock from the waist down, with only the top and windshield area having changed. The factory 2.85 liter sequential twin-turbo engine remains in perfect condition. The factory four-wheel drive is retained. The original 3.7 second sprint to 60 is still possible, and the top speed of 200 miles per hour is still, theoretically, reachable.

The 959, in Speedster guise, was shown at the 1989 International Automobile Show in Frankfurt on the stand of Automobile Becker. From there, the car has resided in a private collection for several years in Northern Italy. Recently, it has surfaced for sale on a Netherlands-based private trade site for a cool 999,999 Euros (roughly 1.3 million dollars), which is negotiable. This price is far and away the highest 959 asking price I've ever seen, with most selling in the $400 to $700k range.

The car is currently fitted with the 911 Cabriolet toupee, but comes with all of the items necessary to convert to hard-top-coupe or Speedster, as well. Personally, I vastly prefer the Speedster iteration to your average run-of-the-mill 959 coupe. There is something about high-speed top-down fun that makes me grin like a school child. If money were no object, and I had no expectation of collector value, I'd pay the price and have a unique car that nobody would ever see again. I'm no collector, and I don't particularly care about originality, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

In the real world, this is no longer an original, perfect example of a 959, and nobody should be expected to pay as though it were. While the work is quality, the car has only clocked 5000 miles and the conversion was done with 100% factory parts, I just can't see this car fetching MORE than a well-kept standard 959. If brought to market at an auction house, I would not expect this example to exceed $150,000 [then again, it could be worth more than that in parts value alone]. I've been known to be wrong in the past though, so if this floats your boat to the tune of a million Euros, by all means, let your wallet do your talking.
"

Attachments

• porsche3_959_cabriolet_for_sale600x400_104.jpg
    porsche3_959_cabriolet_for_sale600x400_104.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 7,446
  • porsche4_959_cabriolet600x400_596.jpg
    porsche4_959_cabriolet600x400_596.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 7,446
  • porsche5_959_speedster_for_sale_600x400_120.jpg
    porsche5_959_speedster_for_sale_600x400_120.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 7,446
  • porsche1_959_cabriolet_speedster_parts_128.jpg
    porsche1_959_cabriolet_speedster_parts_128.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 7,446
  • porsche6_959_speedster_5_600x400_725.jpg
    porsche6_959_speedster_5_600x400_725.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 7,446
Doesn't look right to me, almost has that 'kitcar' feel to it with the roof chopped off. :nooo:

So it is a hacked about car made from a 'cat c' donor? How much???

MC

Ducky said:
Doesn't look right to me, almost has that 'kitcar' feel to it with the roof chopped off. :nooo:

looks better with the speedster windscreen, as in early pic above

has the normal 911 screen on it

"The story goes that this particular 959 was delivered in Germany to an amateur German racing driver late in the production run. Less than 24 hours after driving away from the factory, the car was hurtling down the Autobahn near 140 miles per hour. It was at high speed when an unsuspecting Opel pulled out to pass a semi in-front of the Porsche driver. The 959 swerved to avoid a car-to-car collision, but ended up going off the highway and rolling over. The damage done to the car was primarily to the roof and front sections, but the car was deemed a total loss. The driver was understandably devastated after having waited for so long to receive his new pride and joy."

That was all over the German newspapers at the time. The racing driver concerned was Jürgen Là¤ssig, who (among other endurance races) drove at Le Mans several times, so shouldn't really be classed as an "amateur racing driver".

Ducky said:

I know what you mean, looks like the kind of Kitcar you would see on Ebay, pictured on some Aylesbury council estate, offered for sale by someone who's recent history shows they have been mainly selling their own 2nd hand sportswear...
:nooo:

If ruining a cat c 959 can have this effect on the price, what price a 993 with no gutters or wing mirrors? :grin:

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back