Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 911 Turbo

BillTheButcher

I've just got back from picking it up. Bloody hell, what a car. Perfectly happy pootling around villages and towns on the way home and then an absolute missile on the open road. Full boost in second gear is going to take some getting used to.

Here are a few pictures. I'll add the clip that I recorded once I've edited it.

Dealer pictures:

VVqtnYE.jpg
AsNCCha.jpg
qY6MvXV.jpg
djKf5OK.jpg

Phone pictures taken today:

JvShNa7.jpg
FDqvGa7.jpg
2YzeENT.jpg

Told you so. :thumb:

Welcome to the Club! A stunning mind-blower of a car. Out of this world acceleration in 3rd gear. Watch out for speed traps and keep an eye on your licence! Soon you may be like me - anxious for 2 weeks after you go out in it hoping there is no NIP or summons in the post!

cheshire911 said:
Welcome to the Club! A stunning mind-blower of a car. Out of this world acceleration in 3rd gear.
Second and third are devastating. I pulled out to pass a couple of cars in a queue of about eight, fully intending to get back in before considering the others, but I built up speed so quickly that I ended up going past all of them with loads of room to spare. :bandit:

cheshire911 said:
Watch out for speed traps and keep an eye on your licence! Soon you may be like me - anxious for 2 weeks after you go out in it hoping there is no NIP or summons in the post!
I've been like that ever since I got in to performance cars. :oops: I put a little black dot on the calendar, two weeks from when the transgression occurred, so I know when I can relax again.

Looks great :thumb:
I must admit seeing the video footage and the savage acceleration does make me wonder if I need a turbo in my life :?:

adamw said:
Looks great :thumb:
I must admit seeing the video footage and the savage acceleration does make me wonder if I need a turbo in my life :?:
The video can't convey the shove in the back you get when the blowers spin up.

My C2 picked up pace quite nicely above about 4K RPM but this thing is ballistic. I keep meaning to look down at the boost gauge and rev counter to see where peak boost is but everything starts happening so quickly that my attention remains fixed firmly on the road ahead. :eek: :lol:

Adamw - you'll love the Turbo. Completely different driving experience and if you have a manual, absolutely fabulous approaching corners, braking, double de-clutch from 4th to 3rd, enter a the right speed and line, wait to see the exit at the peel-off point and push the pedal gently as you power through the exit - what a sound (whoooosh) and ballistic acceleration.

BilltheButcher - I regualrly take out 4 or 5 cars in a line on country A roads as they drive nose-to-tail to make sure I can't leapfrog one-by-one.
Then they see me move over to the centre line in theoir door mirrors - that huge 3-scoop front, the wide arch rear, befire they make a futile attempt to close the small gap with the car in front to try to let me know "you're not getting past mate" - but in the blink of an eye I have passed the guy in front and three others in front of him. When they catch up with me, you can just see their faces in my mirror saying "that bald-headed git in the Porsche - my he can drive it!

The sad fact is that so few people know just how ballistic the turbo can be!
Gives me a big grin every time. Tempted to give them the birdie - but refrain being a true bald headed gentleman that I am. Enjoy it!

Yes these cars are truly stunning.I think the problems of the n/a 996 models have wrongly tarred the turbo with the same brush amongst the ill informed,much to the benefit of owners like me who not be able to afford such a genuine supercar normally.I think the prices of these will harden and i can't think that a good one in a good spec will drop below 20k...

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole 7.14 minutes of video, mmmm Turbo...

Thanks guys - I'm sure I would love the Turbo :grin:

It's just I thought I have in my mind at this stage and I'm not 100% convinced on being able to part with my 993 C4 (maybe a drive in a Turbo would make up my mind) but the savage lightning acceleration of the Turbo does appeal...Hmmmm :?: :dont know:

adamw - test drive a turbo - your mind will be made up. But don't test drive unless you are able to buy the Turbo because "once bitten; forever smitten"

Hi Bill, great choice of car, glad you like it.

The accel really gets you, relentless is the only word for it. But, for me, the cornering grip is every bit as impressive as the straight line go.

The car demolishes roads so easily and the brakes, (once you get used to them), are absolutely superb. They do like some heat in them though.

Keep smiling :thumb:

Just got back from taking the missus out for her first pax ride. She doesn't swear very often but the air was blue when I found a nice empty stretch of road and gunned it through second and third. :grin:

How the turbos love the cool evening air. 8)

DynoMike - you're right about the stopping power. Phenomenal.

I haven't pushed it hard through any corners yet as I'm still getting used to the Exocet missile performance.

What a car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back