Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Got a 991

anotherGT2

... for the week whilst the GT2 is in for a few bits and bobs.

It's a PDK 3.4, doesn't seem to have loads of options, just has the usual chrono buttons and sports exhaust (which sounds incredible!)

Drove it 10 miles home in the pouring rain earlier, first impressions are very good, steering is noticeably different, interior is nice although the driving position reminds me more of my old R8 than the GT2.

I'll reserve judgment until I've put 50 or so miles on it on quiet dry roads.

:)

Jamie said:
Enjoy! - The PSE is sooo much better than on the 997

I had a shock when I switched it on and made a bit of progress down the A3, clearly Porsche are trying to close the gap between them and Ferrari in terms of noise, it's a bloody good effort!

I really wanted to get in this car and dislike it, I didn't, and that's a worry :D :oops:

I've managed to put around 70 miles on the 991 now and to be honest I'm shocked by how good it is.

I was expecting a slightly dull, Audi-esque experience with the new steering and chassis changes... but thankfully this car still feels every bit a 911.

The steering is noticeably less 'noisy' compared to the 997 but it feels just as precise and when leaning on the front tyres a bit more there's just the same sensations coming back through the wheel, it's really not the big change I was expecting.

The engine/PDK combo with the sports exhaust is sensational. I was laughing out loud at the way it can take 350bhp and propel you through the gears at what feels like 911 turbo pace, stunning stuff.

The interior is nice, I like the centre console but I'm pretty sure that I'd struggle to drive a manual version because of it, that said I don't think I'd choose anything other than PDK on a 991.

The 991 in one form or another has made the list, just not sure when I'll be able to bring myself to let the GT2 go.

Gavin - was invited by Porsche Hatfield yesterday to drive their 991 C4S. It's the second time I have experienced PDK but sadly for me, I just could not or would not gel with this transmission. I tried it in manual mode and even had the flappy paddles but there was no sense of driver involvement. Yes, there are buttons aplenty and what they each do is remarkable but if I am fortunate to move onto one of these things, I'd still want a clutch and a manual set-up.

I am mildly surprised that someone with your Porsche history likes it!

~ Maxie

anotherGT2 said:
The engine/PDK combo with the sports exhaust is sensational. I was laughing out loud at the way it can take 350bhp and propel you through the gears at what feels like 911 turbo pace, stunning stuff.

Steering aside, that's an interesting conclusion on the power delivery of the 3.4, how does the power across the entire power band ?

Any other interesting or new options on the car ?

Porsche News said:
anotherGT2 said:

Steering aside, that's an interesting conclusion on the power delivery of the 3.4, how does the power across the entire power band ?

Any other interesting or new options on the car ?

Power is like most other NA flat 6s I've driven, needs winding up before it gets going but once it's in the zone it feels very quick. PDK is able to squeeze every last drop of bhp out of this engine and it seems to hold it in the power band with no loss on shifts, I wouldn't be able to get near this car in a manual version.

I'm usually disappointed with NA acceleration as it feels like it never quite arrives when you're used to big powered turbos. I'd happily own this though and not feel like it's underpowered.

Interesting Stuff Gavin :thumb:

Maxie, have you spent much time in Auto cars generally? If I think back to my first auto it probably did take a few days to get used to it, I've had a few since and now would never by a manual car. When you then compare the PDK to an ordinary auto box and indeed a Porsche Tiptronic its then when you realise just how good it is.

I can't find anything not to like about PDK.

Jamie said:
Maxie, have you spent much time in Auto cars generally? If I think back to my first auto it probably did take a few days to get used to it, I've had a few since and now would never by a manual car. When you then compare the PDK to an ordinary auto box and indeed a Porsche Tiptronic its then when you realise just how good it is.

Agreed. I think a lot of people jump in a PDK car switch it to 'manual' mode and then try to drive it as you would a manual. If you do that it will feel awkward and generally out of step with what you're trying to do. PDK is phenomenally good at knowing which gear it should be in, if you drive it up to decent speeds then stand on the brakes to go into a slow corner it will work out what's going on and put you in the right gear ready to get straight back on the power, in sport plus mode it's got a sense of urgency I'd never be able to replicate in a manual, I'd always lose out to it on gear selection.

The paddles are good for shifting down to scrub off some speed or if you're driving along at a leisurely pace and fancy taking on the next corner without using sport mode :) They aren't a replacement for a manual shift by a long way but are useful.

I've just been out in it again for a 20 mile drive, I'm totally sold on this car and I'm struggling to find reasons not to drive it again and again.

Crikey, Gavin, it's that good then, and it's just the cooking model....lol ? 8)

Jamie said:
Maxie, have you spent much time in Auto cars generally?

Admittedly, no. I must not be getting it then in that case as I am surprised to see the likes of Gavin prefer this to a manual. I wonder what the rest of the GT crowd think.....

It's the just the sense of detachment from the car that I get with this PDK; the car does everything for you, even though it will change gear far faster than I ever will. However, I just like that feeling of removing the drive from the engine via a clutch pedal, shifting gear and then re-engaging the drive. There is something undoubtedly satisfying about a good gear change and getting/timing it right.

Just my 2p.

~ Maxie

anotherGT2 said:
Jamie said:

Agreed. I think a lot of people jump in a PDK car switch it to 'manual' mode and then try to drive it as you would a manual. If you do that it will feel awkward and generally out of step with what you're trying to do. PDK is phenomenally good at knowing which gear it should be in, if you drive it up to decent speeds then stand on the brakes to go into a slow corner it will work out what's going on and put you in the right gear ready to get straight back on the power, in sport plus mode it's got a sense of urgency I'd never be able to replicate in a manual, I'd always lose out to it on gear selection.

The paddles are good for shifting down to scrub off some speed or if you're driving along at a leisurely pace and fancy taking on the next corner without using sport mode :) They aren't a replacement for a manual shift by a long way but are useful.

I've just been out in it again for a 20 mile drive, I'm totally sold on this car and I'm struggling to find reasons not to drive it again and again.

Do you exclusively use the steering wheel paddles ? rather than the gear shift lever option

I used to be old school and swear I'd never buy a PDk or semi auto Sports car, however when I drove the 7 speed manual car and then the PDK I was convinced PDK was the way to go and ordered PDK.

I absolutely love the PDK. It's incredible! I never thought id say this, It's even more enjoyable than old school stick and clutch. Much quicker, awesome in traffic, and awesome on the open road.

+1

I was a fully paid up member of the NMA (cold dead hands etc.), but a 15 minute test drive in a pdk turbo and I was hooked...:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back