Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 [991] Turbo - Active Front Aero

Porsche News

To avoid the bonnet vents as on the Gt3 and GT2 series cars

the 991 TT develops an all new front active aero front spoiler

From 0'26 seconds to 0'29 seconds in the video

Front Active Aero.....

Porsche News said:
Active aerodynamics improve efficiency and performance

Porsche developed an active aerodynamic system on the new 911 Turbo models for the first time "” Porsche active aerodynamics (PAA). It consists of a sturdy, retractable three-stage front spoiler, whose segments can be pneumatically extended, and a deployable rear wing with three adjustable wing positions.

This makes it possible to tune the aerodynamics of the 911 Turbo to fulfil driver wishes for either optimal efficiency (speed position) or top dynamic performance. In the performance position, all segments of the front spoiler are fully extended, and they generate considerable downforce at the front axle. Similarly, the rear wing is extended to its maximum height with the greatest angle of attack.

Attachments

• frontaero_123.jpg
    frontaero_123.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 10,002
Nice... :D

are the Turbo S normally launched at the same time as the Turbo?

I thought there were normally some time period between them?

Normally a gap. Given the type of buyer that goes for these things brand new (i.e. usually want all the bells and whistles), I could see more Turbo S being sold than plain-Jane Turbo's. I mean, if you have enough cash to buy a brand new Turbo, would you go for the 'fast' Turbo or the 'slow' Turbo?

Besides as I think Chimp already said somewhere, the Turbo is £120k, Turbo S £140k, so by the time you've added a couple of options you may as well have taken the car that comes with most things standard and is faster.

The decision by Porsche to do this will obviously have been profit-motivated, but makes the 991 Turbo pointless in my view. We just need to wait now for a 'Super' Turbo S to come out above the Turbo S... :grin:

Historically they only appear at the end of cycle to boost (sorry) sales of the outgoing model just before the new one comes along. Not sure what the marketing bods were thinking with releasing both variants simultaneously... :dont know:

Also, seems Porsche is going more mainstream and going for the Audi/BMW/Mercedes market with the smaller SUVs etc... all part of profit huh?

I guess with the PDK only gearboxes and the non-Merzger engines, am hoping my gen 1 turbo will appreciate in 15years time.

lol....

chimp911 said:
Historically they only appear at the end of cycle to boost (sorry) sales of the outgoing model just before the new one comes along. Not sure what the marketing bods were thinking with releasing both variants simultaneously... :dont know:

... £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s, $'s, €'s, £'s...

:bandit:

:grin:

Roro said:
Normally a gap. Given the type of buyer that goes for these things brand new (i.e. usually want all the bells and whistles), I could see more Turbo S being sold than plain-Jane Turbo's. I mean, if you have enough cash to buy a brand new Turbo, would you go for the 'fast' Turbo or the 'slow' Turbo?

Besides as I think Chimp already said somewhere, the Turbo is £120k, Turbo S £140k, so by the time you've added a couple of options you may as well have taken the car that comes with most things standard and is faster.

The decision by Porsche to do this will obviously have been profit-motivated, but makes the 991 Turbo pointless in my view. We just need to wait now for a 'Super' Turbo S to come out above the Turbo S... :grin:

:yeah:

Roro beat me to the punch and pretty much sums up my expectations of this. Imagine popping down the pub with your shiny new 991 turbo...

Chimp: Like my new turbo lads? :grin:
Baiter1: (Laughing) Couldn't afford an "s" then Chimp?
Chimp: Not at all, I didn't want a turbo s! :x
Baiter2: (Chortling) Too fast for ya Chimp?
Chimp: No! This is just as good as a turbo s, but better value!! :x :x
Baiter3: (Guffawing) Better value??!! It cost you over 120 grand you silly monkey!! Should've got a GTR...could've got 2 of 'em for one of those :p
Chimp: I hate you! I hate you all!! :oops: :sad:

Or get a Macca with a few K on the clock...!

Loving that front active aero. First production car to have this?

~ Maxie :thumbs:

Nope, maybe not the first but the mitsubishi 3000 gt definitely had it...

Attachments

• inactive_aero_755.jpg
    inactive_aero_755.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 9,858
Well Carrera and Carrera S are also launched simultaneously.. And indeed, there might be a Turbo GTS or something to boost sales at the end of the model cycle.
But what strikes me are 2 facts:
- standard Turbo has much more goodies as standard kit now (leather, satnav) - I am talking German specs
- Turbo S is signficantly more expensive than Turbo but the kit appears to be pretty similar.. So the positioning of the Turbo S has been changed.

chimp911 said:

Yes, only poor people drive the 991 Turbo. Those that can afford a proper Turbo will now buy the Kolonel Big Bollock Turbo S*

* Not what I believe, but what I believe the Porsche marketing machine is telling us.

Turbo GTS.....? Now there's a thought! Wonder what kind of spec a car like this could bring......

~ Maxie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back