Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Going for a 1984 3.2 for everyday use

kylesheath

I have owned a 996 3.4 for the last year as my first 911, it was a great statement as a car and did go some when you gave it the beans but I knew deep down that the engine was full of water and that it was not a real 911.

Well the 996 engine started to go the way that they all do, failed Vario Cam timing and scored cylinder, so that had to go.

I have been shown a 1984 3.2 Coupe in Ruby Red that has been cared for and garaged for five years, full 915 rebuild three years ago and 109K on the clock. The chap who owns it is a concourse guy for Jags and this is his run around drive, no rust anywhere as it has all been repaired and the engine drives wonderfully.

Bit of a funky interior, ruby red is really purple and the seats are comfort with purple velour trim. Air con was fitted as an option at the factory and it actually works!

Well I drove it last night and got to understand what an air coolled 911 sounds like and how that 915 gearbox feels, it is just mechanical, no aids like a modern car.

My one question is, how many use their 3.2 on a daily basis and when you are in traffic on the motorway clutching 1st do you still love it? I figure I will because nothing says 911 looks like a 3.2 to me. Im 39 so thats the 911 of my youth

Hey there

I can tell you that I know a couple of guys who have run an early 3.2 and an SC and both complained about the clutch being heavy in traffic. Out of traffic however the clutch and 915box are supposed to give the most authentic 911 experience, especially the grab between fourth and fifth.( so also says Mr Hammond from Top Gear).

Personally I've got one of the post 87 cars with the G50box and a hydraulic clutch. ( Currently for sale on 911uk!) I dont drive it in traffic every day, but if I did it would be no problem.

Hope thats helpful

The clutch on a 915 is easy.
Just have a new cable fitted if its tight.
The 915 is a proper Porsche box.
None of that outsourcing, rebuilt, thety are sublime.
You've just got to learn how to time the gears in,. 4th to 5th was rated by The Hamster as the best change in the world.

Ive got an 86 C3.2 Coupe. Gearbox rebuild by paragon, with a sachs power clutch 4 Grand. A £1000 parts bill from zuffenhausen, so not that bad considered.
The problem with them is that the steering a such hard work parking, so get some weights!
They take about half an hour to warm up, and then drive like a Porsche. The brakes especially different when warm
If you're planning short journey you'll struggle.
The 964 is so much better for a daily.
The 964 has power brakes, a G50 03 Gearbox, and power steering.
A flatter torque curve, and a much easier daily driver.

The 3.2's is much more Porsche, on cam, the flat six, in every way, is just pure naked elle mcpherson begging for it. In a thong. Covered in oil, and wrecked, about 3am, in a hotel, in LA, drinking bubbles

I digress.......

Get somnething tdi for the week.
Stick the 3.2 away for the weekends.
Money in the bank.

Thanks chaps. I think the clutch in this one is right, its heavier than a modern car but I expect that, I felt the gearbox was good, no noise and you could feel the slots as you changed.

It has had a rebuilt and the seller has all the paperwork for a full gearbox rebuild 3 years ago.

To be honest I am a glutton for punishment with cars, even if they are a tough drive daily I cannot help but want to take them out. I do have a Mercedes 230E from 1982 that I use for running around so I have another car for those days when you would get nothing from the 3.2 but a knackered left leg on the M6.

I think as they say, I am in.

I'm about to start using my new (very old) 1984 Carrera 3.2 as my daily drive. I just bought it on Friday and love it to pieces.

I drive about 12 miles to work and back every day so not very far. We will see how it goes! My route to work is so scenic and beautiful I cant help drive the Porsche (anyone thats been to Goodwood would understand!).

Anyway the clutch seems very usable for now, I just hope I'm saying the same thing in a weeks time!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back