Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

9 Things you should know about the new 911 Turbo (TTT)

Porsche News

1. It has active aero. A rubber tube similar to a bicycle tire runs along the underside of the front spoiler. In Sport Plus mode, it fills with air, extending downward as a spoiler to swap the 911's inherent front-end lift for slight downforce. Top speed is limited to 196 mph on the Turbo S because it's all the tyres can handle"”otherwise the new rocket would be capable of 207.

2. The optional ceramic brake discs measure 16.1 inches in front, 15.4 in the rear. In other words, they're enormous.

3. In the past, Turbo models used the Carrera 4S wide body. This time, the Turbo is even wider. C4S models are 1.7 inches wider than the base 911; add another 1.1 inches for the Turbo!

4. Angry mobs, grab your pitchforks. There's no more manual"”PDK is the only transmission now. The centre differential is now a computer-controlled, water-cooled Haldex unit that can send 13 percent more power up front.

5. Additional boost (up to 17.4 psi) and additional revs (up to 7200) means additional power: the Turbo makes 520 bhp and 479 lb-ft. The Turbo S makes 560 bhp and 516 lb-ft. Each motor gets an overboost function, producing another 37 lb-ft for up to ten seconds.

6. Like the GT3, the 911 Turbo uses rear active steering for more maneuverability at low speeds and more stability at high speeds.

7. The Turbo's roof can be painted, made of glass, or made of carbon fiber, a la the GT3 Cup car.

8. Not that anyone cares, but the Turbo uses some 13% less fuel than the last one. Partial thanks go to the virtual-gear programming in the PDK that uses clutch slippage to 'fake" an appropriate gear ratio. It aims to keeps revs near 1000 rpm under low-speed, low-load conditions. Start/stop is standard, and now turns the engine off under 4 mph.

9. The last Turbo and Turbo S flew around the Nürburgring in 7:39 and 7:37, respectively. The new car does it in under 7:30, meaning it could match the Carrera GT's 7:25. Look for a 0-60 time of around 3 seconds flat.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futu...-to-know-about-the-new-2014-porsche-911-turbo

Attachments

• 911ttt_196.jpg
    911ttt_196.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 8,109
Shame that Porsche has given up the manual gearbox. :sad:

It is difficult to find a Gen 2 Turbo with manual gearbox.

Sounds very interesting. Can't wait. :Dance-Tap:

Sounds very nice, will it be quicker than a GT3 at the ring do you think??

Porsche News said:
Top speed is limited to 196 mph on the Turbo S because it's all the tyres can handle"”otherwise the new rocket would be capable of 207.

Why not put better tyres on it?

Nytol said:
Porsche News said:
Top speed is limited to 196 mph on the Turbo S because it's all the tyres can handle"”otherwise the new rocket would be capable of 207.

+1

Ah, the unmistakable smell of BS! Bit of a marketing own goal there chaps... :nooo:

0-60 in 3 seconds :bandit: 0-100 in 7.5 :dont know: great looking car I like it :thumb:

Turbo

Hope it depreciates rapidly until I can afford one then starts going up in value . I'm glad it was not 10 things you didn't know.

Porsche News said:
8...Partial thanks go to the virtual-gear programming in the PDK that uses clutch slippage to 'fake" an appropriate gear ratio. It aims to keeps revs near 1000 rpm under low-speed, low-load conditions.

Just because you only sell an auto, doesn't mean you have to give up valuable replacement clutch cashflow :thumbs:

chimp911 said:
Nytol said:
Porsche News said:

+1

Ah, the unmistakable smell of BS! Bit of a marketing own goal there chaps... :nooo:

They do come out with some corkers from time to time :grin:

Porsche to Perelli - "hey guys we need some tyres for our new 991TT, that can go to 207 mph"

Pirelli to Porsche - "ok let me think about that"......5 seconds later......"ok that wont be an issue, just don't tell you marketing people"

GT4 said:
Porsche News said:
8...Partial thanks go to the virtual-gear programming in the PDK that uses clutch slippage to 'fake" an appropriate gear ratio. It aims to keeps revs near 1000 rpm under low-speed, low-load conditions.

Just because you only sell an auto, doesn't mean you have to give up valuable replacement clutch cashflow :thumbs:

I am also sure the cost of PDK repairs/complete unit replacements as these cars age will more than make up for it GT4.

Does anyone care that there won't be a manual Turbo? :dont know:

(Apart from Slayer! :))

Lack of manual GT3, yes stone stone the bastards, but lack of manual Turbo.... Umm, ok.... Can I have another blue skittle please...?

Roro said:
Does anyone care that there won't be a manual Turbo? :dont know:

(Apart from Slayer! :))

Lack of manual GT3, yes stone stone the bastards, but lack of manual Turbo.... Umm, ok.... Can I have another blue skittle please...?
996 maua

I think it is a bad thing, I really love my manual 996 turbo, it does upset me that Porsche seem to have taken a step backwards in terms of driver involvement and enjoyment in favour of just plain making the car faster over the last 10 years. I would be happy to upgrade my car but feel that there simply isn't an option as the current cars move further and further away from my ideal of what a fun car should be. I guess I can feel how the 993 drivers feel now (particularly given that they also have to get over the headlight thing).

MC

I guess since I've only ever thought of the Turbo as a long distance cruiser and not a hoon-machine, PDK makes perfect sense to me. Writing was on the wall though, the 7.2 Turbo S was PDK only. Sad that Porsche are taking away people's choice... Will be interesting to see what happens in the longer term.

Bring back the manual!! Fully aware that PDK will change gears in micro-seconds as opposed to me taking minutes to change gears in mine but as that report says, there is no involvement anymore - something that was painfully clear to me when I had a PDK 991 for a day.

I don't know about the rest of the forum but after each shift of gear in my car I get a strange sense of satisfaction. On approach to roundabouts, driving through corners, up and down inclines, I like the fact that I have to disengage the drive from the engine and then time the next shift for myself.

~ Maxie

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back