Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

jonttt

First Post edited to create index to various journal entries for ease of reference:

Initial Interior Clean & Wiper Widget Install

Side & front indicator lens change; DME relay preventative change

Tor-B Diagnostic Cable

Becker Cascade Headunit Install

Leather Gear Gaitor Replacement

PA1000 Alarm Board Replacement

Door End Cap & Pedal Cover replacements

Tor-Light HID Install

365mm Raid Steering Wheel Install (smaller and thicker than OEM)

RSR Muffler and Big Oval Exhaust Tips Install

Motorsound Airbox Install

Spoiler protection caps, drainage plug and key lock plug installs

Aluminiun Bezel Rings Install

Light Switch Bulb Replacement

Turbo S Front Duct and LED Light Install

Battery Isolator fitment

LED Rear Number Plate Bulb Replacement

OEM Overmat and retinaer Install

MPL Slave Clutch Cylinder

Tequipment Carbon / Alloy Gear Stick Replacement

RS Storage Tray, Front Protection Bar and Drinks Holder

Front Bonnet Badge - Part 1
Front Bonnet Badge Install - Part 2

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Install (TPMS) - Work in Progress

Hand Brake Lever Replacement

Engine Air Filter and Pollen Filter Replacement

Front Strut Brace Install

Stainless Steel Sill Trim Install

Carbon Fibre Handbrake & RS Storage Trays Install

LED Oval Side Indicators

Wayne Schofield Live Remap

Colour Coded Engine/Spoiler Grill preparation and fitment

Spoiler Curtain Replacement

Bosch KTS 300/01 "Hammer" Diagnostic Tool - Hardware Review

Engine Bay Heater Flap Diaphram Replacement

Fitting front and rear wheel spacers

Rear Heater Blower explanation / diagnostic and replacement of Low Speed Resistor & Temperature Probe

FabSpeed Cup Airbox

993 Carbon Sports Seats

Exhaust Sound Comparison

Replacing Oil Filler Bellows

Replacing Hamilton and Palmer Alarm Siren

Carbon Motorraumdà¤mmmattenleiste (Engine Tidy Strip)

Replacing Rear Central Light Unit

Rennline Exact Fit Magnetic Phone Holder

CarBone Leather Custom Fuel Bib and Ignition Switch Cover

Morimotto LED Rear Light Units

Original First Post on Forum

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks for all those who have contributed to the information on this forum over the years. I've found it great reading over the past few weeks to the point of obsession much to the annoyance of SWMBO. The words "not again" are ringing in my ears as she knows how obsessive I am about my cars. In fact she knows well enough that the sourcing and purchase is only stage one........

Worryingly I feel as though I know some of you already so thought as stage one was now complete it was time to come out of the shadows and introduce myself.

I won't bother you all with the boring boyhood dream stories (although they are true) but this is my first exposure to Porsche ownership. I'm sure it will be fun and rewarding as well as frustrating and potentially expensive at times but that is what a hobby is all about for me.

I'm a great believer in you get back what you put in and ownership for me is more than just driving the car. Hopefully this forum will be a valuable part of my ownership experience and can I can add a little back along the way.

As a little background to set the scene. I'm in my late forties now and over the years have had the pleasure of owning some exciting road cars. I've done the jap thing and in later years have settled on the quality of german cars both as daily drivers and hobby cars.

My criteria for this car was maybe a little different from most (but perhaps not by much).

I am lucky enough to have access to supercars pretty much whenever I want. I also have another fun hobby car which is no slouch either. I'm no pro driver, do not track anymore but enjoy a fast road run now and again :) A car which is more capable than me would suffice. So outright speed was never an issue.

Secondly as a hobby car I do not want to factor in depreciation. Been there, done that, wear all the badges. I have a capable daily driver and am happy to pay the tax man his fixed slice of company car tax. I'm getting too old in the tooth now to justify it and ultimately I'm looking for a car I can keep for 20 years and it will become part of my pension pot at some point in time, even if that's just to get some reasonable money back if ever I need it.

I should say at this stage that I'm not always 100% PC, I say what I think, am happy to be proved wrong and appreciate everyone should have their own opinion. So if I offend anyone with the following its purely down to personal taste as at the end of the day there is not much between all 993's.

I originally looked at 997's as I like the look of them but as a hobby car I could not justify the depreciation which they still have left in them. 996's I won't spend much time on other than I don't like them for various reasons. 964's and older are just too old for me. I like my 1990's cars. To me it was that threshold between build quality of german cars and just the right technology advancements before the mass production computer generation kicked in.

So that was my brains logic in deciding that a porsche 993 was the car for me. In reality thats great but really its because they look so damn fantastic 😁

After 2 years of looking on and off I had narrowed down my personal preference to the following ideals any one of which could be disregarded for the right car and in no particular order:

- mileage between 50,000 and 80,000. I did not want to pay a premium for a garage queen as it will be a weekend driver but I wanted something that with 2-3k per annum average over 20 years would have a very attractive mileage on it. Plus in my experience high milers do show their age and although I can work on cosmetics I wanted a good base line car.

- FSH either dealer or recognised Indy

- no targa or convertable as I already have that.

- good condition both mechanically and cosmetically. I don't mind some cosmetic work as its part of the fun but I need a good baseline to start from.

- light colour as I think it shows off the 993 lines much better

- no turbo. Partly as I don't need the extra power but mainly my love of NA. I've done the turbo thing to death and now appreciate the rawness a NA engine has over forced induction.

So that was basically it. I've lost count of the number of cars I've driven over the past 2 years. Sometimes geography has been a factor but mostly cars that where not close enough to my ideal to compromise until this week.

So I've bought the C4S at Strasse in Leeds and pick it up a week on Saturday.

P1000693.jpg

Firstly my experience with the guys at Strasse has been fantastic. They have been patient with me over the past week whilst I made my mind up. I'm a very pedantic person and the car wants for nothing. They have agreed to refurb the front scuttle as this is showing the very early signs of rust on the passenger side, full service and MOT and thats about it.

The car has a perfect service history originally from Newcastle OPC for the first 6 years or so and has been looked after by a combination of NineMeister and Strasse since then.

There are even invoices for Ninemeister stripping the underside of the car and wax oiling etc.....

In keeping with a relatively small indy the car was not over prepped for sale which I prefer. I know a genuine car when I see one and with a little bit of cosmetic fettling by myself inside this will be a nice car to own hopefully.

I have very limited plans for the car in the first year:

- change the front lights back to clear from amber (receipts from a previous owner included in service history who changed them out of personal preference)
- a full detail, replace any cosmetically worn interior parts with OEM
- change the steering wheel for a Raid item (I have one fitted to my other car already).
- I may look at picking up another Becker Cascade headunit (again I already have one).

I will hopefully be setting up a journal of my journey with this car and so more details will follow over the next few weeks :bye:

ps here is a pic of my other hobby car. Do you think I have a ### ar$e fettish 😁

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Last edited:
Re: New 993 C4S owner saying hello

jonttt said:
I should say at this stage that I'm not always 100% PC, I say what I think, am happy to be proved wrong and appreciate everyone should have their own opinion.

Welcome Chum :thumb: You will fit right in.

Nice car and interesting choice of BMW. When I sold my 993 I dabbled with the idea of buying a Z3M Coupe Breadvan but finding one that wasn't a Cat C/D plus the handling and the fact it is easier to get rid of an aggressive STI than trying to sell it on for reasonable money made my mind up.

993 are great cars :thumb: I've back-dated to 964 for what reason I'm unsure but the air-cooled addiction takes hold :roll:

Lol the Z3m is an interesting car to drive. Not often you find a car with an engine that is really on the limit of the chasis. Its my second and pretty rare being 1 of only 73 RHD cars made with the later S54 engine from the M3 (the last of BMW's great straight 6 ///M engines). Mine is pretty sorted handling wise though the traction control light tends to be permanently on :grin:

To give you an idea of my OCD I know the spec of every one of the 73 cars :oops:

I did contemplate getting a breadvan not least as I have 6 sets of wheels for them :roll: but in the end I decided it would be too close to home.

Anyway my first question for the forum. I've got hold of the full option list for the car which is as follows:

I211
I235
M020 SPEEDOMETER WITH TWO SCALES MPH-KM/H
M033 LOWERED VEHICLE
M061 VERSION FOR GREAT BRITAIN
M071 EU COUNTRY VERSION
M130 CONTROL AND INDICATIONS IN ENGLISH LETTERING
M197 STRONGER BATTERY
M220 LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL 40 %
M224 AUTOMATIC LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
M288 HEADLAMP WASHER
M326 RADIO "PORSCHE CR-21"
M335 AUTOMATICAL SAFETY BELT, 3-POINT,
M335 REAR
M339 4-WHEEL DRIVE
M413 18" TURBO-LOOK-WHEEL
M423 BOX FOR CASSETTES AND COINS
M425 REAR WINDOW WIPER
M437 COMFORT SEAT LEFT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE
M438 COMFORT SEAT RIGHT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE
M441 PREPARED FOR RADIO
M455 ANTI-THEFT DEVICE FOR WHEELS
M480 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION
M490 SOUND SYSTEM
M491 TURBO-LOOK
M491 CARRERA 4S
M492 FOR LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
M534 THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM
M544 TANK OF 75 LITRES
M562 AIRBAGDRIVER'S SIDE AND FRONT PASSENGER'S SIDE
M566 FOG-HEADLAMPS, WHITE
M567 WINDSHIELD TINTED, UPPER PART DARKER COLOURED
M573 AIR CONDITIONER
M599 ROOF COVER MOLDING
M602 ARAISED STOP LAMP
M605 HEADLIGHT VERTICAL AIM CONTROL
M650 ELECTRICAL SLIDING ROOF
M651 ELECTRIC WINDOW OPENER
M657 POWER ASSISTED STEERING
M659 COMPUTER
M685 REAR SEATS, DEVIDED
M975 LUGGAGE BOOT TRIM
M975 WITH VELOUR CARPET
M981 LEATHER EQUIPMENT WITHOUT SEAT COVERS

Most are easy enough to understand but:

- what are the first 2 "I" codes ?
- what does "M599 Roof cover Moulding" mean

Impress me :mrgreen:

ps if anyone says "press car" I'll get my coat :bandit:

Welcome jonttt :welcome:

As has been said not being 100% PC but 100% OCD you should fit in well round these parts :thumb:

Lovely car :D

The Roof Cover Moulding is the bit of plastic at the rear of the roof that houses the high level brake light.

The On-board computer is quite a rare option which my car has too.

Welcome great write up and i love your cars :thumb:

Hey Jon! :bye:

Always nice to see a bit of personality about the place!

Congrats on your new purchase .. Many of your introductory comments were very in tune with my 993 thoughts (and probably with many others around here!) ... You'll fit in grand ...

Do you employ the odd wrench to good effect too????!!

Welcome.

Generous first post and enjoyable reading.

I personally find this a fun, highly informative and polite forum, with good banter. You can obviously string a sentence together so you should enjoy it.

Lovely looking car by the way. Could you not find a NB? Ha.

Have fun :thumb:

ballcock said:
Do you employ the odd wrench to good effect too????!!

Jaysus Barney, bloke's only just joined. Bit personal mate.

(sorry, I thought you said Wench).

I can use a toolbox and will no doubt do some fettling to get to know the car over the summer but mechanicals I leave to the pros as it takes me x10 longer than the job to recover nowadays plus a 3 year old daughter means my spare time has to be shared.

I have looked at plenty of nb and I had no real preference to be honest but as always with a budget you usually end up wanting to spend it all :frustrated:

In lots of ways the £10k or so premium I have paid for a wb is dead money but I'm sure I will get it back one day and its better than sat in the bank these days ps if anyone asks I needed to shift £10k from my premium bond limit so new prizes can get paid straight in :thumb:

Another question..... The car has hollow spokes fitted but I thought it came with solids from the factory ?

Off out for an Indian and a beer now to celebrate stage 1 with swmbo :thumbs:

Welcome to the C4S club :)

:grin: @Kimbo!

Good grief Jon, indian and a beer! .. You really have been studying our form!!

I notice from the pic the engine lid is the narrow body type.
Was it specced from the factory that way.

bristow said:
I notice from the pic the engine lid is the narrow body type.
Was it specced from the factory that way.

It is correct for a C4S - the split rear grill was an C2S only item from the factory.

Welcome to 911uk Jon......Both cars look :worship: :thumb:

jonttt said:
Another question..... The car has hollow spokes fitted but I thought it came with solids from the factory ?

Yes solids are correct for the c4s. The hollows are more popular though. If you want to swap then I've got a set of wide body solids so perhaps we could "do a deal".

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back