Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 81
996 : 1997-2005 50
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 19
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more playing around with the Bosch "Hammer" today so I understand exactly what I have got in terms of hardware before I get to playing with the software....

the Bosch KTS 300 series of diagnostic testers (also known as a 9288 in Porsche documentation) were usually fitted with generic software modules that can be used to test basic functions of many makes of car including Porsches. However Porsche dealerships were supplied with special versions KTS 301 which had Porsche specific software modules fitted. These were much more expensive (c£4000 18 years ago Surprised ) but could carry out many more diagnostic tests than the generic modules.

The last of the KTS Porsche software modules was version 8.1 dated 1995. This covered models including the 928, 944, 968, 964 and 993.

Up to and including the early 993's the connection for the car was a round socket (19 pin) connector. Later 993's had the upgraded rectangular connectors. There are therefore 2 types of connection leads with either a round or rectangular (for later 993's). They are both interchageable.

My unit has the Porsche specific software module version 8.0 dated 10/1995 and has the later Porsche 993 rectangular connection lead. I could source the older round connection lead to allow the unit to be used on 928, 944, 968, 964 and older 993 models.

The only other consideration is that the units have a built in rechargeable battery. I'm not sure if the units came with a separate charger but it appears they can be recharged when plugged into the car which takes about 8 hours. When I plugged mine in it initially stated that the battery required recharging but after 1 minute worked fine including the display light (which can be turned on / off). This leads me to believe that the unit simply requires the batteries to be fitted and capable of holding some charge rather than being fully charged to work. I can only think the benefit of battery power is the ability to review error codes when disconnected from the car Dont know

The unit is very simple to take apart to access both the rechargeable battery and software module. There is simply a rubber cover which pulls away to reveal access points for the battery cover and the software module in the side of the unit.....

The Porsche specific software module (nb the 928 refers to the model series 9288 and not a Porsche 928)....

Which simply pushes in / out of the side of the unit....

The original Bosch battery was in great condition physically ie no sign of any leaks.....

It is simply a pack of x6 Ni-Cd AA 7.2v rechargeable batteries which have 2.88mm spade connectors.

OCD would dictate that this should be replaced especially as battery technology has come a long way in 18 years. Fortunately these packs are standard in the model car industry albeit with different connector blocks which can easily be replaced with 2.88mm spade connectors Thumb

I have ordered one of these for £3 delivered Bandit

with spade connectors fitted it should look like this....

Not only do I get a new battery for little money / effort but it will last several times longer than the original battery would have when new due to the more advanced NI-MH technology.

Its obvious the unit is in very good condition and has virtually the last version of the Porsche specific software installed. It is worth noting that these units are very robustly built obviously with heavy workshop use / abuse in mind.

The connections cable to the car is c3m in length and well protected. It is presumably designed to allow you to walk around the car with it plugged in whilst testing eg I quickly tested the high and low oil cooler fan speed whilst stood next to the fan in the drivers front wing so you can hear it easily shift speed at the touch of a button.

All in all I'm very chuffed with it. They are not cheap but the way I look at things like this you can always resell for what you pay for them so they don't really cost you anything they just tie up capital in them. I love playing with gadgets so I'm glad I've picked one of these up to help me learn about my 993 over winter Wink

ps of course you should do your research before buying but sometimes you have to take a flyer when time does not allow research ! Looks like I got away with it this time and got the perfect unit for my car, phew Cool

EDIT: I have now got my hands on the manual for the device. Its actually contained in the 993 workshop manual - under section D for diagnosis of all places Hand
It appears one of the buttons is used to "store" screenshots at any time which can later be recalled even when not connected to the car. So the rechargeable battery is presumably required to facilitate this assuming RAM is used which requires a constant power supply Wink

The manual can be downloaded by clicking ......

Operating Instructions

Manual - Bosch Hammer - System Tester 9288 - Operating Instructions - extracted 993 Workshop Manual
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

Last edited by jonttt on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

mohitos
Barcelona

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of kit ! And at only £1.10 more than your handbrake, is arguably good value Laughing

What are your thoughts on the Tore OBD kit by comparison - it sounds like this way more comprehensive in it's abilities.

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tore b kit using the free version of scan tool is really good value. For example you can run a full cyclical test of all the climate system servos and flaps.

I've not had chance to use either in enough detail to know the differences other than the obvious hassle of having a laptop in your car v bespoke hand held tester v cost.

I believe the scan tool software will now do idle resets as per the hammer which was one of the differences that may have been removed but I think in principle the hammer still has more functionality. Whether those differences are material to me I don't know yet eg I'm not sure if scan tool can test / reset the airbag ?

I know for certain the hammer is the only way to properly bleed the 964 4 wheel diff but as the 993 4 wheel drive system is totally different to the 964 I'm not sure it is needed for mine Dont know

I can see a boys toys day spent playing with the hammer v the scan tool one winters day Bandit

Ps I've had to hide it as my 3 year old daughter has been trying to plug it into the Denon amp for the past 10 minutes Surprised
2017 BMW 740 Msport

Dream911
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
Dream911 wrote:
mohitos wrote:
Jonttt - I am deeply concerned. It's 14 days since your last upgrade. Is everything ok ?

I`m looking forward to seeing that handbrake fitted Thumb

pics of it installed are on the previous page Wink

Some how I missed that.

Enjoyed reading the very nice write up.

Handbrake looks fantastic Thumb

g60pops
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, any chance of a link for where you got the battery pack and connectors from for the hammer?

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From ebay just search spade connectors and get a mixed box for a few £ ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400560302838?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I ordered this battery but not received yet...

Search for AA 7.2V 1800MAH Ni-MH Rechargable Battery Pack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390567661405?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
2017 BMW 740 Msport

g60pops
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^
thanks

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic weekend driving around the welsh valleys but unfortunately two up with golf clubs meant it had to be in the daily hack Sad
2017 BMW 740 Msport

cambjones
Barcelona

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have time for golf too Surprised

You're not human.

At least that is what I'm telling myself as I have far less time management skills managing family, work, travel & 993 obsession.

I think you should start running classes!

Smile

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pressure is on today though, I'm leading on 69 points after 2 rounds with 4 people within 4 points, good fun though.

Perfect golfing weather but I need to figures out how to get 2 sets of clubs in a 993 lol.

Your right though I do deserve a rest so off to Dubai next week for a bit of pampering to get over the golf Bandit
2017 BMW 740 Msport

mr pg
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
What a fantastic weekend driving around the welsh valleys but unfortunately two up with golf clubs meant it had to be in the daily hack Sad

You need to go back then, as I know from experience that a weekend away for two including two sets of clubs is perfectly possible. We've done it.

Dream911
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:

Perfect golfing weather but I need to figures out how to get 2 sets of clubs in a 993 lol.

Had 2 sets in the back of my 964 Turbo plenty of time. Put the rear seats down, drivers out lying on top. Shoes etc in the bonnet. Thumb

Carry bags only.. no tour bags and trundlers.

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we both have full tour bags but I must admit we did not try to fit them in the rear but just assumed it would be too tight a squeeze. I'll definitely try the next time we do a uk based tour Thumb

Ps I blew up on the Sunday, well in relative terms anyway, 5th on the day had 37 points Surprised and I was worse. When a 2 handicapper scores 40 points to take it over the weekend you've got to applaud him even though I had to give him a 3 hour ride home while he gloated Sad maybe I would have been better off if Sunday had not been such perfect golfing weather Sad
2017 BMW 740 Msport

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had chance to change the defective diaphram on the car but have had some enquiries as to the part number so thought I had better post up some pics for reference....

2017 BMW 740 Msport

Goose
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:
I've not had chance to change the defective diaphram on the car but have had some enquiries as to the part number so thought I had better post up some pics for reference....

As you know, one of these enquiries was from me. Smile Thanks for sharing - I'd best get mine on order. Thumb

AndyS
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonttt wrote:

Your right though I do deserve a rest so off to Dubai next week for a bit of pampering to get over the golf Bandit

Jon
Just got back from Dubai last night - still too hot!
40 during the day and still in the 30's at night.

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just asked the mrs and she said 34. I should have specified daytime temps Judge

Plays havoc with the churchills

Too hot for me so I'll be in the air conditioned spa Thumb

The good news is I wrapped the roady up for winter today (after a damn good blast in the last of the sunshine) but the 993 is staying taxed for some winter fun Thumb

2017 BMW 740 Msport

tikkathree
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up but what's this about a tripod? Can't you just put some different film in? Wink

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got chance to fix the heater flap diaphram today.

To recap when my car was remapped it was identified that the varioram system was not activating. The failure was due to a faulty part of the heating system ie there is a vacuum system which operates both the varioram and a a rear heating flap. The rear heating flap is activated by a solenoid which when triggered opens to allow the vacuum to operate a flap via a diaphram. I had a faulty diaphram. This would not normally cause total failure of the varioram as the solenoid would isolate any leaks on the heater side until it was activated but to compound matters my solenoid was also faulty (effectively always open). This meant that the vacuum system effectively had a permanent leak and so the varioram part of the system could not get enough pressure to activate when needed. It is possible that the solenoid failed first and this caused the diaphram failure but I believe the diaphram is a common part to fail.

The heating flaps default position means that air is drawn into the heating system via the engine (ie warm) as and when needed. However there are two reasons why the solenoid may be activated to open the flap to bring in air from outside (via the engine grill) rather than from the engine:

- Used when engine air gets too hot and cooler air is needed.

- When reverse gear is selected. ie the grill intake is higher reducing the chance of exhaust gases being drawn into the heating system.

Neither of these functions are critical and this part of the system can be removed meaning that air is only ever drawn in from the engine (ie a different intake tube can be fitted without the flap etc....)

Therefore as a temporary fix the solenoid was replaced with a replacement part (FOC as they had one spare at the garage on the day of the remap) and the electical connection was disconnected to prevent the solenoid from opening and causing a pressure leak via the faulty diaphram ie meaning that the varioram system worked for the remap.

So down to replacing the faulty diaphram.

Here is the part. I can't remember the exact price as I bought it some time ago now but it was c£50.

The first thing that I noticed was a change in design to the old part ie the activating rod with ball joint is a fixed length. On the original it is two piece allowing the length to be varied. This did not cause any problems as the set length was fine when fitted.

Here is the original in place (spot my winter job to clean the engine now that I have fixed the spoiler wall)....

It is a simple yet fiddly job to remove and replace. There are two hex bolts that need to be unscrewed. However they are accessed via the side and certainly if you have varioram and air con pipes they get in the way. You need a small hex key (or cut an old/cheap one down). You need to feel the key into place blind to undue the bolts (nb putting them back seemed much easier). Tip: place a cloth under the part as its so easy to drop either the hex key or bolts down into the engine and they are a nightmare to get out (ask me how I know!).

Once these two bolts are removed its simply a matter of removing the top vacuum hose and cracking the ball joint at the bottom of the lever.

Here are the parts exposed and you can clearly see the lever that operates the flap in the heater inlet tube to divert airflow from engine to grill intake....

Fitting is the reverse and seemed a lot easier / less fiddly. Job done.

Here is a video of the fresh air flap now working properly. The test is carried out using my Bosch "Hammer" diagnostic tool. The ignition is on which primes the vacuum system and you can use the "Hammer" to switch the flap to the two positions on command. You can actually hear the flap flip over and then see the push rod moving....

ps you could do the same by getting someone to sit in the car and switch from 1st to reverse gears Wink

click on pic for video link

2017 BMW 740 Msport

Last edited by jonttt on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:33 am; edited 3 times in total

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps I've got the 993 out for the weekend. First drive for weeks Bandit
2017 BMW 740 Msport