Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the C4S 991 the best sportscar in the world?

Chrisrido

Very easy to make this statement, but is this true by putting all the following into the equation......

Everyday use
Power
Cabin interior
Exterior
Drive
Price

What do you all think..... Any other suggestions?

Cayman 981 will run it close (if not beat it) as will BMW M3 E92 (or forthcoming BMW M4), Mercedes AMG C63 coupe, Maserati Gransport Coupe, Jaguar F-type V8. These are the ones I can think of the at the moment.

~ Maxie

Chrisrido said:
Very easy to make this statement, but is this true by putting all the following into the equation......

Everyday use
Power
Cabin interior
Exterior
Drive
Price

Reliability
Ergonomics
Cost & ease of maintenance
Residual values in future years
Fuel consumption/ carbon emissions
Success in multi make Rallying/racing.

(one make racing is a bit of a cop out really as regards objectively judging competition performance)

For years every Fiat introduced seemed to win European car of the year, yet as they became older they were often viewed as high depreciating unreliable cars. Because of this it is difficult (and unwise) to judge how good a car modle is in the early years of its life.

Chrisrido said:

Everyday use
Power
Cabin interior
Exterior
Drive
Price

Sounds exactly like a 4-year old 997 Turbo on AUW.

I've moved from e46 m3 to e92 m3 to c63 coupe and then its 991 4S so i will let you know in about a months time

Lovely car but more of a Grand Tourer than a Sports Car now.

Missing from that list is:

How it makes you feel (surely the most important point)

And if you're being sensible ......
Residual Value

abcheetham said:
Missing from that list is:

How it makes you feel (surely the most important point)
+1 :thumb:

Hummer said:
Lovely car but more of a Grand Tourer than a Sports Car now.

+1...... But nice

Well I test drove the 991 4S and was totally underwhelmed by it

Sports car it was not in my opinion, got back in the 996 Turbo S and smiled again

Porsche have a different target market I sense. The Aston, Bentley or Merc driver who they never appealed to before

Not that sure its worked as I dont think sales have been that strong

I used to ownE46 then E92 M3

Now own the 991 S 2 and the 911 is by far a much more enjoyable experience.

Don't get me wrong the M3's are Great cars, however the 911 is in another league!

Love my 911!!

Re: 991

Bieldside said:
Well I test drove the 991 4S and was totally underwhelmed by it

Sports car it was not in my opinion, got back in the 996 Turbo S and smiled again

Porsche have a different target market I sense. The Aston, Bentley or Merc driver who they never appealed to before

Not that sure its worked as I dont think sales have been that strong

I agree. The Boxster and the Cayman are the sports cars of the range now. The Panamera is the Sporting saloon, the Cayenne the sporting SUV and the 991 is the GT. It's grown up now. There will be no 928 like Panamera 2 door. That would just clash head on with the 991 because the 991 is right in that same GT space. So it wont happen. Which is a bit of a disappointment. I would imagine that such a car would be a brilliant and fantastic looking GT. But the average 991 buyer is probably of an age that wants a GT more that an out and out sports car so there you go. And there's a lot of profit in the higher margin GT category.

Of course we'll still get the GT3 and all that but any car can be modified into a track style evolution for a Halo effect (and profit). But most people willl buy and drive the 991 Grand Tourer.

er, am puzzled by the

"And if you're being sensible ...... Residual Value"

All 911s depreciated, but 996 and 997 by more proportionally than their predecessors. Just look at current 996 values relative to original list prices.

Can't see any good reason why 991 will be any different, fine car though it is.

997s have depreciated at roughly same rate as most of its peers, early £20k now for decent 60k milers.

All supercar brands seem to depreciate more than 10-15 years back - perhaps due to production numbers being so much higher? Even Ferrari's suffer (519 & 612) feature on 10 worst depreciating cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back