Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes Squeal

cchong

Hi all, I am new to the forum and this is my first porsche. I have had the 991 CS2 for about 12 months now, and every time I brake at low speeds, I get a squealing noise, and if braking to a stand still, the squeal is even louder. This seems to happen when the brakes are warm, as it's ok on startup.
I have spoken to my local OPC and they said it's normal.

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but can you guys advised at all?

Thanks!!

Yes mine used to squeal when braking from a walking pace (not loud though) stopped at circa 1K miles, cracking on now onto 2600 miles and it's not returned :D

My brakes do the same at low speeds, has now covered 15k!

It tends to happen on mine from the rears when they are not being used hard enough, as after a good run with some heavy braking the noise goes for a few weeks. Harder this time of year with the weather to do that though!

Interesting. I have just booked mine in for the same problem, taking the car in to my local OPC tomorrow. However, mine sounds more like rubbing than squealing. My car is now 1 year old and has covered about 12k miles. I first noticed it about a week after I had winter tyres/wheels fitted about a month ago. At first i thought it could be to do with this but now I have read the other comments i am wondering if it is anything to do with the cold/wet weather.

I will advise on what my local OPC says when I get the car back.

Thanks all. I'll try going for a good run and some heavy breaking to see if that will resolve it.

I did read somewhere about the possibility of applying cooper grease to the back of the brake pads where the brake pistons make contact.

waldorfsalad, I'd be interested to hear what your OPC comes back with.

Mine also squeal a little at very slow speeds. But nothing to worry about

OK, I took the car in yesterday at 09.30 (noisy brakes issue), said I would wait if it would take no more than half an hour. I was told that this should be OK. After about an hour I was told that it would take longer than they thought and they gave me a lift to my office. I got a call about 4pm to say that they were getting the car ready and would send a taxi to pick me up. I arrived at the OPC at about 5pm. When I asked what they found they asked me if I had used the car over the Christmas period. I said no, and they then said that the only thing they found was a film over the discs due to lack of use, and they had cleaned them. I was very dubious about this but took the car home and it now seems fine. I suspect, however, that because they needed the car all day that the real problem was due to the winter tyres/wheels not being fitted correctly as the problems (including hearing rubbing noises on occasions without the brakes being applied) only started after the winter tyres/wheels were fitted. Previously to these being fitted there have been occasions where the car has not been driven for several days where a film has developed on the discs but I did not experience any problems with the brakes.

On a slightly different matter, all four of the wheel hubs and some wheel notes are significantly corroded. They are reporting this to Reading.

Anyone else had this problem?

I've booked mine for the same issue next week.
Also got a message on the dash that says "Oil change now"

Just thought I would let you guys know that as my brake squeal had been getting worse, and I had a headlight level adjustment failure appear, that I would book it in.

Went to book it in Friday, guys at PCMS took it in straight away to have a look, excellent.

Rear inner pads have apparently started to disintegrate on the trailing edge, hence the sqeal, being replaced Tuesday under warranty :thumb:

Headlight has a module that needs replaced, also being done Tuesday.

Did make me wonder though, have any of you sqealers driven away with the handbrake still on (it disengages as soon as you press acc) but I have done this once or twice as I never normally use the handbrake?

Had my car for 12 months now, it has made a squeal most of its life.

Hate the sound also... :x

Mine has done it since new, Oct 2012. Bizarely only does it when going backwards slowly. I should take it back but not got around to it.

I am continually shocked by the issues mentioned within this thread (especially from 911BlackEd).

Although this brake squeal could be viewed by many as a minor issue it would be a annoying on a long term basis in a car costing £10K - it is however totally unacceptable in a car costing 10 times that!

Just read this thread since it's been kicked to the top of the pile again and noticed that no one has given the easy DIY answer to this issue. That is, to go out and - at least occasionally (see below) - use the brakes as they were "meant" to be.

The 911 is a sports car and Porsche has done more than most manufacturers to equip its sports cars to cope adequately with the kind of use some (many?) of its drivers could be expected to subject it to.

Amongst those measures, the cars are equipped with relatively "hard" brake pads to resist fading under heavy use and - combined with a relatively low degree of servo assistance - to give good pedal feed-back allowing better brake-force modulation by the driver's right foot.
A down-side of these hard brake pads is that their surfaces tend to "glaze" under extended light use of the brakes, as you might tend to have when the car is driving in city traffic or long hold-ups.

The solution is to take the car to a fast road with no other traffic and no nosy onlookers with a phone to hand (sometimes easier said than done) and do several very hard stops from high speeds. The hard stops take off the thin layer of smooth, glazed mixture of abraded friction material and oxidized iron from both the brake pads and discs which, apart from negatively affecting braking performance, promotes squealing. This procedure might have to be repeated from time to time, depending on the nature of the car's regular use.

This is the same procedure as can also be used to quickly break in (no word-play intended) new brake pads and discs.

Even if a car is not used extensively in slow traffic, the manner in which a driver brakes can promote the build-up of glaze. Track drivers who brake more moderately well in advance of a bend, instead of harder and later, are known to suffer from glazed race pads with harder racing pads.

To those who think that the answer to this "issue" is for Porsche to fit softer brake pads as standard, I would recommend some other car brands whose manufacturers follow a different philosophy when developing their sports cars. :D

Red993C4 said:
Just read this thread since it's been kicked to the top of the pile again and noticed that no one has given the easy DIY answer to this issue. That is, to go out and - at least occasionally (see below) - use the brakes as they were "meant" to be.

The 911 is a sports car and Porsche has done more than most manufacturers to equip its sports cars to cope adequately with the kind of use some (many?) of its drivers could be expected to subject it to.

Amongst those measures, the cars are equipped with relatively "hard" brake pads to resist fading under heavy use and - combined with a relatively low degree of servo assistance - to give good pedal feed-back allowing better brake-force modulation by the driver's right foot.
A down-side of these hard brake pads is that their surfaces tend to "glaze" under extended light use of the brakes, as you might tend to have when the car is driving in city traffic or long hold-ups.

The solution is to take the car to a fast road with no other traffic and no nosy onlookers with a phone to hand (sometimes easier said than done) and do several very hard stops from high speeds. The hard stops take off the thin layer of smooth, glazed mixture of abraded friction material and oxidized iron from both the brake pads and discs which, apart from negatively affecting braking performance, promotes squealing. This procedure might have to be repeated from time to time, depending on the nature of the car's regular use.

This is the same procedure as can also be used to quickly break in (no word-play intended) new brake pads and discs.

Even if a car is not used extensively in slow traffic, the manner in which a driver brakes can promote the build-up of glaze. Track drivers who brake more moderately well in advance of a bend, instead of harder and later, are known to suffer from glazed race pads with harder racing pads.

To those who think that the answer to this "issue" is for Porsche to fit softer brake pads as standard, I would recommend some other car brands whose manufacturers follow a different philosophy when developing their sports cars. :D

Erm... :?

911BlackEd said:
It tends to happen on mine from the rears when they are not being used hard enough, as after a good run with some heavy braking the noise goes for a few weeks. Harder this time of year with the weather to do that though!

Was that not what I said in the 3rd Post about deglazing the pads?

Also, how would my soft gently gently, should be driving a Honda Jazz driving style, cause the pads to start to disintegrate?

Anyway, what do I know, I shall just go and trade it in for a Nissan Micra and leave these real Sports cars to people who use them properly... :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back