Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT3: 450BHP, -40kgs inc PDK vs 997.2, unveil March 2013

GT4

Nordschleife
Use AWD chassis (ie structure, not transmission) and AWD widebody.

20-inch alloy wheels, centre locking.

Even more hardcore "¨GT3 RS will return, but not before 2015. Power to be 480bhp.

porsche-911-gt3-spy-1_0.jpg

Lots of chatter on the "other" Petrol orientated forum and even on PCGB, so it must be serious :lol:

They didnt focus on the body structure so much. Most comments were on the "unusual" rear wing and PDK only "shocker" :eek: or not...

Selfish silver lining: Ive noticed OPC 997.2 GT3 values are up :wink:

Still cant wait to see one in the flesh. £110k for a mid spec car methinks :?:

Clarkey

Yep, I reckon base price around 105-110, but then probably 125 by the time you've added a steering wheel :grin:

GT4 are you sure about that "AWD widebody" comment? The widebody is normally reserved for the RS, standard GT3 has the normal slimmer bum.

There has not been any wide body GT3 from the factory.... To help
justify the extra 18k over the base GT3 price (when it comes out)
no doubt the wide bodyshell will be solely for the RS...and no doubt
lower gear ratios, more aero, bit more grunt, plastic rear window, silly
door pulls etc... 8)

I say 18k because the last 3 incarnations had that price differential between
the base GT3 and base GT3 RS...

I may be getting my knitting needles in a twist here :oops: but I think the GT3 uses AWD front chassis structure to utilise the straddle petrol tank :coat:
Could this be the confusion :?:

Defo exceeded or approaching my my knowledge limits now :dont know:

Clarkey

I thought all GT3s uses the stiffer 4wd chassis, the wider track is an RS thing but that is just rear wings and wheel offset.

:?:

Clarkey said:
I may be getting my knitting needles in a twist here :oops: but I think the GT3 uses AWD front chassis structure to utilise the straddle petrol tank :coat:

Clarkey

The GT3 has always used the AWD front body structure/chassis as its basis, as it is much stronger (torsional rigidity).

The choice of saddle fuel tank is purely packaging around that chassis.

The question here, is not whether the GT3 uses the AWD front chassis, but whether it uses the rear widebody.

If Porsche are going for outright Nordschleife points against a competitor brand, then as well as the "never fitted before" PDK, the best 'ring times will come from a "never fitted before" widebody GT3.

Of course, as nick w says, this leaves the GT3 RS a bit out in the cold.

But perhaps the GT3 RS's USP will simply be raw, light and powerful?

By the way, the point of this thread was not any advocacy on my part to any of the specs listed above (all are journalistic conjecture until Porsche release the official specs).

I am simply reporting what I read, I have no inside info.

IMO 450BHP(if confirmed) may not be enough to keep up with the competition.

and PDK on a GT/RS!!! which I understand is a whopping 70Kg heavier than the 6/7 speed manual for a GT/RS car!!!!! with the electric steering rack.

Is this the start of the GT/RS softening ethos at porsche. If so, just watch prices of the last true hardcore 911(996/997's GT's and RS's) climb over the next few years.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/10/spy-shots-confirm-that-new-porsche-991.html

As min I was hoping for at least 490/500BHP with turbos at 540/560bhp

"Of course, as nick w says, this leaves the GT3 RS a bit out in the cold."

That's assuming that there will actually be any 991 RS's and GT's in the same guise as the 996/997 range. I would not be suprised if we never see a 991 GT3 RS or GT2.

wizard993 said:
That's assuming that there will actually be any 991 RS's and GT's in the same guise as the 996/997 range. I would not be suprised if we never see a 991 GT3 RS or GT2.

Why do you say that ?! Has Porsche said there'll be no GT2 or RS?

:sad:

wizard993 said:
IMO 450BHP(if confirmed) may not be enough to keep up with the competition.

and PDK on a GT/RS!!!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/10/spy-shots-confirm-that-new-porsche-991.html

As min I was hoping for at least 490/500BHP with turbos at 540/560bhp

"Of course, as nick w says, this leaves the GT3 RS a bit out in the cold."

....NO, NO...has to be an RS !!!!!...got it on bloody order...like two years
ago !!! if not there'll be hell to pay !!!! :gunfire:

Roro said:
wizard993 said:

Why do you say that ?! Has Porsche said there'll be no GT2 or RS?

:sad:

A dealer principle I spoke with a few months back said that they were "not exactly confident" that a 991GT2 would ever be built as there is nothing to suggest that it is even under development/consideration......yet.

Personally speaking, I think its 50/50 that we will ever see the same hardcore GT/RS variants that we had with the 996/997 range.

VAG controls Porsche and is a volume manufacturer. Lambo's, R8's etc etc all need markets to be sold into. They don't need the RS and GT's as much as Porsche did.

Maybe the 991GT3 and 991 Turbo is all they need currently as it is a different beast that owns the marque now. :don't know:

Give me his name...whichever DP he is.. :pc:

..LOL, don't panic, it's going to happen..in 2015

Roro said:
Yep, I reckon base price around 105-110, but then probably 125 by the time you've added a steering wheel :grin:

GT4 are you sure about that "AWD widebody" comment? The widebody is normally reserved for the RS, standard GT3 has the normal slimmer bum.

You are not far off. I checked with two OPCs last week, and they are starting about 110:) fully loaded you are talking about 120 :eek:

Clarkey said:

Clarkey

The GT3 models have used the AWD front structure in the past due to its greater torsional stiffness (different sheet metal structure of the RWD makes cross-bracing between strut towers superfluous).
Only the RHD GTs have used the straddle tank from the AWD cars. The LHD GT models have taken advantage of the extra space available due to dropping the drive shaft to the front axle to squeeze in a hybrid tank integrating the upper volume of the AWD tank and the lower volume of the RWD tank to give a total tank volume of about 90 litres (almost 20 Imp. gallons) instead of about 60 litres.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back