Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear tyre wear.

adrian996

A quick question about rear tyre wear - any experience/ thoughts would be welcomed! :thumbs:

Had the four wheel alignment checked and adjusted on my 996.2 (2003) C2 a few months back and I now have some moderate inner shoulder wear on the rear N/S tyre. It's pretty well documented that I do very little mileage in this car and what I do cover is at a respectable pace.

Had it done at a place 50 or so miles from where I live following some advice on here. Would have loved to have gone to CG but it didn't work out.

So here's the question; is it possible to set up a 911 (or any other sports car that has a degree of negative camber) without getting this sort of result?

The wear isn't terrible it's just that I wouldn't have expected to have got any wear considering the mileage I've covered since it was done. The O/S is also wearing slightly but not as badly.

I've only discovered this today as I had both the back wheels off. My plan is to call the place that did the job and to also speak to my indi who is servicing the car for me later in the week - based near Pyle, south Wales.

I think that that I'll end up also swapping left with right as the tyres aren't side-specific so that I get a bit more wear out of them.

They're Pilot Sports N1's.

Thanks!

Are you sure the wear was even before hand? It could be previous owner ran that tyre low for time? Most wear evenly side to side unless its done lots of fast roundabouts or been on track.

Are you sure they are not side specific before swapping? Double check in case it says OUTSIDE or similar, N1's are directional for sure.

Being N1's I'd suspect they are getting a bit old now, check the datecode to see (eg 2208 = wk 22 of 2008). This could explain some of the wear as they'll have gone hard and have less flex.

Without stating the obvious its quite normal for all 911's to have wear on the shoulder, often accelerated by the way its driven not just the geo.

Uneven on the nearside can point to having hit a kerb/pothole etc which has either knocked the alignment or damaged a wheel, ie it is more common on nearside not least as there are more ruts/ironworks/kerbs etc on that side. Any signs of any flatspots on the rims, are the wheels nicely balanced and running true??

Go for less camber next geo, look for say 1.5 deg on rear with 15 min of toe in should give good wear. Assume no tracking been done.

Pilot Sports are sided (directional) and asymmetrical so no swapping.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back